Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move photos from HDD internal to HDD USB External

Participant ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI!

How can I move photos from my internal HDD, that is full, to the external HDD while keeping contact with the lightroom catalog on my pc? If I move photos to external HDD, can I move them to more specific named folders?
thanks a lot

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow the instructions in "Part 2 — Updating Folder Location" of this document. IMPORTANT NOTE: There is no Importing of photos in this process. If you are tempted to import, don't. Importing in this situation is a mistake and makes the situation worse.

Get that to work properly before any moving or renaming of folders. If you combine the two tasks, you are asking for trouble.

But a better course of action is to not move or rename photos or folders to organize (except when you need to move them to a new disk or a new computer). Use keywords and other metadata to organize, its a very powerful feature of Lightroom Classic, and simpler than moving or renaming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote:

can I move them to more specific named folders?

End Quote:

Only After you Copy your Folders, With ALL your images in the same Named folders, to the new external drive. And then if need be Reconnecting those folders and images in LrC.

But if you either Name the new drive the same as the old drive, MacOS, or give it the same Drive Letter, Windows, you should not have to Reconnect any folders or images in the LrC Catalog file

Then IN LrC you can go about Renaming folders, Adding folders if you want, And Moving images into different folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excuse me but I didn't understand very well.
I would like to move photos from my internal HDD to my external HDD. I understood that to maintain the link with the Catalog, it is better to do this directly in LRC: right?
As the folders in LRC are renamed incorrectly, I would like to copy photos from these badly renamed folders present in LRC to properly renamed folders created in my External HDD.
All while maintaining the link to the catalog on my PC.
It's possible? Could you show me step by step .. I would not do any damage!
Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to move photos from my internal HDD to my external HDD. I understood that to maintain the link with the Catalog, it is better to do this directly in LRC: right?

Some people (including me) would say no, don't do it in LrC, do it using the method in "Part 2 — Updating Folder Location" in this document.

As the folders in LRC are renamed incorrectly, I would like to copy photos from these badly renamed folders present in LRC to properly renamed folders created in my External HDD.

Break up these two steps. Do them separately. Once you have done the move and kept the old names, and everything is working find, then do the rename. If you do the two steps together and something goes wrong, well, that's a much bigger problem. to fix. So do the steps separately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I didn't understand, I'm a bit confused.
So, first of all I dedicate myself to the translation of the document you sent me because I know very little English and I cannot translate it all. Then, if not or misunderstood, I proceed with step 2 first right?
So you tell me not to perform the move operation in LRc but outside of it Right?
Thank you very much and sorry if I don't understand well but between that I'm not practical and my poor knowledge of English, it's a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Step 1 — Copy the folders and files outside of Lightroom to the external HD. DO NOT RENAME at this time.

Step 2 — Reconnect inside Lightroom using the "Update Folder Location" command

Step 3 — delete files from the Internal drive

Step 4 — make sure the above has worked and your Lightroom catalog does not have ? on the folders or ! on the photos

Step 5 — rename folders as desired inside Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, what language? Perhaps a member speaking that language can help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Italian language

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines