• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

multiple files "Lightroom Catalog-v10 Previews.lrdata" on Mac take too much space

Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am desperate, never was good at these things (handling data files) and perhaps doing something wrong...

My Mac has only 500GB and Lightroom data files take 74 GB

Can something be done to reduce teh size ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can place this on another drive, you can change your pref's for previews (for example, Automatically delete 1:1 previews after....), let's see your Catalog Settings>File Handling dialog. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You !!!

I am trying that today. I will now move the Lightroom data from Pictures to an external drive, delete it on my Mac and see if Lightroom works 🙂 

Actually I realised, when prompted today by Lightroom to create a catalogue, and I chose a different path to the previous version. So I ended up with catalogues in 3 places.

I have already deleted the entire iCloud Archive (googled it that it is OK to do) and it had no negative impact on Lightroom.

lrdata in Documents.png

lrdata in iCloud archive.png

lrdata in Pictures.png

   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand from your post header that you have multiple  catalognamePreviews.LRDATA files, then-

If you only use ONE catalog then there is only a need for its ONE associated  ...Previews.LRDATA file. Any others can be deleted.

Deleting the ...Preview.LRDATA files is not really a problem, as LrC will re-build these if and when needed.

What is a Lightroom catalog? | The Lightroom Queen

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Besides the tips to reduce disk space: major versions of LrC tend to create new catalog files. The old ones can be deleted after you decided that the version is stable. It's however always wise to make a backup before deleting.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are your photos stored? These take up much more space than the previews. If the photos are stored on the internal drive, you need to move them to an external drive (see "Part 2 — Updating Photo Location" of this document for instructions)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep the pictures on an external drive, due to space limitations on my Macs

SSD is so expensive when you go above 500 GB on Mac 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No need for photos to be on a SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines