Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New screen: colors strange behavior

Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I just changed the hardware by replacing my iMac 27 "with a Mac mini M1 paired with an LG Ultrafine 5K display. The result is really great, unfortunately I am facing an extremely annoying problem with the color management.

For some reason that I do not know, without me modifying anything (default Lightroom settings, default screen settings, default color profile), it happens that the colors of my images change on their own, when I zoom in and zoom out in the image, when I move around in the image, etc. The image gains or loses saturation, quite randomly. It is very disturbing. For your information, I am experiencing the exact same problem on Photoshop.

I tried to change the color profile of the screen, I tested several, the problem is still present, the colors change on their own.

I made a little video to show you what's going on. Hope the quality will be good enough that you can see the change in the colors: https://youtu.be/3ov3yVABwM8

Do you have an idea?

Thank you for your help.

My configuration:

• Mac mini (M1, 2020) - 16 Go - macOS 11.3
  • LG Ultrafine 5K monitor (default color profile)
  • Lightroom Classic v.10.2

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, try disabling GPU in the preferences (Preformance tab). Any better?
If not, recalibrate and build a new ICC display profile, the old one might be corrupted.
If you are using software/hardware for this task, be sure the software is set to build a matrix not LUT profile, Version 2 not Version 4 profile.
If turning OFF GPU works, it's a GPU bug and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it. 
Also see: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your message.

I'll try to disable the GPU in preferences tomorrow morning. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Are there not chances that this will reduce the performance of the software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If I completely disable the GPU, I now notice a strong lack of fluidity when zooming or moving around an image. On the other hand, if I choose "Custom" and that I check only "Use GPU for display", leaving "Use GPU for image processing" unchecked, it is smooth. I will test this setting for a few days and tell you if I still see the color problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines