• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

(On PC) How to create.xmp preset that will work for BOTH raw vs. jpg files?

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2018 Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those who use the latest Lightroom Classic CC 7.3 on PC - when a new lightroom preset is saved the file extension is .xmp seems to be stored in <...\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\Settings\User Presets>, rather than <...\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Develop Presets\User Presets> - which I can live with.

However, it appears that if the edits were done on a .DNG file then the preset is available for you to select if you are trying to use it on another .DNG file. The preset disappears as soon as you select a .JPG file. The only way I found around this is to manually copy the settings across and save it as a new preset against the JPG file.

Is there a way to create a new lightroom preset in .xmp format, by default, that will work with any photo file format?

All .lrtemplate files (I created in Lightroom on my Mac) I imported (into my Lightroom on PC) automatically converted to .xmp files in <...\CameraRaw\Settings\User Presets> and work just fine. on raw or otherwise. Why the saved new presets can't do the same by default?

If I'm mistaken, feel free to shed some light on this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 14, 2018 Apr 14, 2018

When you create the preset uncheck "Treatment and Profile".  Then they should work everywhere.    Some profiles will not work on JPG files.    That being said there seems to be a glitch on certain files.  See my post above.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing the issue you describe on the Mac platform. The new presets should work as they did previously. Are you sure that you're looking in the correct preset folder in presets folder tree in Develop module?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey man, thanks for your reply but that is literally the first thing I said - "For those who use the latest Lightroom Classic CC 7.3 on PC". I know it works fine on Mac, what's described above is strictly in Lightroom installed on a Windows PC.

Also, like I said - on PC, when you save presets it does NOT save under the Development module. Instead it saves under <..CameraRaw\Settings\UserPresets> instead.

There has been a recent (April 2018) updates on this which explains this change - https://www.proloststore.com/faq/presetsafterapril2018

It's not really an issue per se, the preset is still created - except for example, if the preset was created on a DNG file, then that preset seems to only work on other DNG files. When I choose a JPG file, that very same preset disappears in Development module. So the preset is not universally applicable to raw as well as jpg files.

Hope this clears things up. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if the preset was created on a DNG file, then that preset seems to only work on other DNG files. When I choose a JPG file, that very same preset disappears in Development module. So the preset is not universally applicable to raw as well as jpg files.

Internally, presets now have the capability of applying only to raw, only to non-raw, or both. But I don't understand how you can create a raw-only preset within LR. Whenever I create a preset (on Windows or Mac, starting with a DNG raw, a raw, or a JPEG), the preset applies to both raw and non-raw.

Can you please create a new preset and post a screenshot of the New Develop Preset window right before you click Create.  Then in the Presets panel, right-click that new preset and do Show In Finder / Explorer.  Open the selected .xmp file in TextEdit (Mac) or Notepad (Windows), select all the text, and post that here too.

That should clarify what's going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

I have found an odd behavior with the presets on non-camera JPG files.  Take four files, one RAW, Camera-Jpg, Tiff and a Lightroom exported JPG with no metadata or Scanned JPG.

Do the following.

Create a preset called Zero Grain for instance.    With a new photo with no settings just create the preset with ONLY the GRAIN item checked. not even Process version     (I think it can be any of the sliders an not only grain).

Then do the following on each of the 4 files from import

Apply grain

Apply Vignette

Apply Preset Zero Grain

Apply Vignette

Apply Preset Zero Grain.

This is the history on All files except the Exported JPG

Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 10.34.38 AM.jpg

This is the history on the Exported JPG

Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 10.33.14 AM.jpg

I realize Grain is already ZERO but it is kind of disconcerting to the user to see nothing happening in history when you press the preset Zero Grain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

Ignore my post #5 and see my new thread here.    Odd preset behavior JPG files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, i stand corrected. I just tried it again on my Macbook pro - made some edits on a .DNG file and saved as a new preset. Then moved on to a .JPG file next to it. As soon as the .JPG file is selected, under Lightroom Development module, I can no longer see the new preset I just created...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you create the preset uncheck "Treatment and Profile".  Then they should work everywhere.    Some profiles will not work on JPG files.    That being said there seems to be a glitch on certain files.  See my post above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2018 Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you create the preset uncheck "Treatment and Profile".  Then they should work everywhere.    Some profiles will not work on JPG files.   

That seems plausible, though I'm not able to replicate that behavior. If I create a preset from a raw photo with the camera-matching profile Camera Vivid, with Treatment and Profile included, I can still apply that preset to JPEGs, even though the Camera Vivid profile is for raws only.

It would be good to get the details requested from Jesse, so we can identify under what conditions this is happening and file an actionable bug report with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

There is definitely some odd behavior with presets and JPG files.  I created a repeatable scenario is the following thread where the preset works all the time for the raw and only some of the time for JPG.  The preset was created from a JPG.   See here.Odd preset behavior JPG files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the "odd preset behavior" you describe, the preset is always visible in the Presets panel? Whereas in Jesse's situation, the preset doesn't appear at all when a JPEG is selected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When creating the preset, if you use one of the preinstalled ADOBE RAW profiles the preset will disappear in the Preset panel when a JPG is selected

IN Lightroom do the following

Select a RAW Photo

Reset

Set Profile "Adobe Monochrome" in the Adobe RAW section of BASIC

Save the preset selecting ALL the items.

The preset will show up on a RAW but not on a JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When creating the preset, if you use one of the preinstalled ADOBE RAW profiles the preset will disappear in the Preset panel when a JPG is selected

Hmm, I tried that with Adobe Color (in Adobe Raw) and Camera Vivid (in Camera Matching) and didn't observe that.  I'll try some of the others in Adobe Raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe is only the Monochrome ones.  I remember reading somewhere (I can’t find it now) where some presets only show under RAW files.  It wasn’t on the forum where I saw it.  I will keep looking

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested more thoroughly and observed this inconsistent behavior:

- Presets including these raw profiles will be available for JPEGs: Adobe Standard and all Camera Matching profiles.

- Presets including these raw profiles will not be available for JPEGs: All profiles in the Adobe Raw group except Adobe Standard (Adobe Color, Monochrome, Landscape, Neutral, Portrait, Vivid).

These are all raw profiles (they can only be applied to raws).  It's inconsistent that some of them can be included in JPEG presets and some can't.

(The two sets of raw profiles are implemented differently. The first set are traditional DCPs -- DNG Camera Profiles, while the second set are enhanced profiles built upon Adobe Standard.  The two sets are included in presets differently, which probably accounts for the inconsistent behavior.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John

I Voted in your link and confirmed it is happening on osx 10.13.4.   Thanks for your work on this.

Would you check and see if you can duplicate the DIFFERENT problem with JPG presets in this thread.Odd preset behavior JPG files

In this case the preset I demonstrate will work in RAW files ALL the time but only work in JPG files SOME of the time. 

I ran into this accidentally and finally figured out what was going on.  The preset behavior should be consistent to prevent user confusion. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your input also Bob, and also looping in @johnrellis here...

An update for you gents both - I have now created a new preset, but without ticking the "Treatment & Profile" box:

4. Test Settings Preset.png

Now this new preset is available for both .dng and .jpg files.

Not sure if I have just answered my own question or not, will do a bit more testing at my end.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now created a new preset, but without ticking the "Treatment & Profile" box:

Yup, Bob's diagnosis was the correct.  Be sure to add your opinion and vote to the bug report linked above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Sure thing, here are the screen shots which I hope could better illustrate what I am experiencing.

I went through some edits on a .dng file and created a preset:

1. DNG Preset.png

When I click on a .jpg file, this preset disappears

2. JPG Preset.png

The 2nd preset called "JPG - Ortega Tiego" has identical edits, I basically just copy the settings and pasted them onto the .jpg file and manually saved them again.

These are preset files are located in the same folder location - <...\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\Settings\User Presets>

3. File Location.png

If you need a copy of the actual .xmp files, please let me know.

Thank you,

Jesse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When working with a JPEG inside Camera Raw: Right-click a visible profile in the presets dialog within Camera Raw and choose "Show Partially compatable Presets". This will allow your presets/XMP files designed for RAW images to work (or to be accessible) when working with a JPEG inside Camera Raw. The presets will be gayed out but will work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines