Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OpenGL Failure in Lightroom CC

Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got "Graphics processor acceleration has been disabled due to errors."

My system exceeds all the requirements to my knowledge, and I've updated all my drivers.

Specs:

Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate Edition

Version: 6.1 [7601]

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 12

Processor speed: 3.9 GHz

Built-in memory: 28616.8 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 28616.8 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 829.0 MB (2.8%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 810.5 MB

Memory cache size: 1149.7 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 6

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 1920x1200, 2) 1920x1080, 3) 1920x1080

Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: Yes, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

Check OpenGL support: Failed

Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.

Version: 3.3.13292 Core Profile Context 14.502.1014.0

Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series

LanguageVersion: 4.40

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015

Definitely get the drivers up to date.

I don't believe there's a problem with Radeon HD cards, and FWIW, I'm using a XFX AMD Radeon R9 280 with 3Gb. You're going to need a recent generation card with at least 2Gb of memory such as the AMD R9 2xx series or nvidia’s Geforce 700 or 900.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 320 Replies 320
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2015 Apr 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've got the same problem on my HD6870 with 14.9 drivers.

Nevertheless, I'm posting this "me-too" post because I haven't seen the following info posted here. Look at the screenshot I post. System info gives also a GL_MAX_COMBINED_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS (actual = 32, minimum = 48) info on my system. As you can see I'm on LR6, not CC. (In fact I opened a yet another thread about it).

LR System info.jpg

Could this info be useful? (I'll also run the test exe provided some posts before).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ARSPR, it looks like you have an older version of the AMD driver installed (13.251).  The more recent versions are all 14.x.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GPU performance in Lr CC will depend a lot on the control that you are editing, as well as what other settings (image adjustments) you have enabled on the particular image.  At present, the most acceleration will happen when editing non-detail, global controls.  For example, Basic, Tone Curve, HSL, Split Tone, Lens Correction, Post-Crop Vignette, etc.  Many gradient and radial filter operations are also greatly accelerated. 

Some other editing operations such as local brush adjustments and the spot tool do not currently take advantage of GPU acceleration.  If you heavily use these tools, then you may find that their performance (with the GPU feature checked) is on par with Lr 5 performance, or possibly slower due to additional overhead when using the GPU path. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 24, 2015 Apr 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MadManChan2000‌, my analysis shows LR6 is using the GPU for the adjustment brush:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/7472868#7472868

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to confirm: GPU recognised.

GPU set off: brush OK.

GPU set on: brush lags considerably.

😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe this is a issue with the 14.4 drivers. They do work, ok, but now with the performance expected.

We'll just have to wait to get a new set of beta drivers by AMD.

The Gpu Acceleration, as stated a few posts earlier, works under the development mode, at least with nvidia. There should be no reason for the Ati users to not see this benefit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I swear that I've got 14.9 installed. Nevertheless I'm downloading 14.12 from AMD webpage.

I swear Ive got Catalyst 14.9.jpg

Nevertheless, I'll uninstall AMD drivers and will clean the registry through CCleaner before installing 14.12.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ooops. It actually seems that my Catalyst installation was somehow corrupted. I don't know how or why but yes the core driver was obsolete even with an updated interface ?!??!

After updating uninstalling, cleaning the registry with CCleaner and installing 14.12 (the latest one offered in AMD webpage for my system), the driver is 14.501.1003.0

And then the GL_MAX_COMBINED_TEXTUR_IMAGE_UNITS message actually disappears although GPU acceleration is still disabled... Now I get the "general and common" info in System Info... Forget my previous post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that GUP support now runs with AMD HD6870 and Catalyst version 14.4 but not the ones after.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed the AMD 14.4 drivers on desktop PC with 6870 card and ACR 9 now shows GPU enabled, and also on laptop with AMD 7640g graphics hardware is also showing the GPU as enabled; however, not sure if it means the GPU is actually being used. Not using LR, only PS with ACR 9 so can't confirm LR working or not with these drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems the problem is NOT only with AMD cards. I have a GeForce 9600M GT and LR doesn't even recognize it
Noname.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I send Eric the text file, then I've uninstalled the latest drivers and re-installed the 14.4 on my Radeon HD6950 and GPU is now working in CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tried the suggestions earlier and worked on Radeon HD6670

step 1. clean up and remove all AMD display software using

http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/16748/

step 2. reboot - your windows will start in VGA  mode - dont panic

step 3. install version 14.4 of CCC and it will install the display drivers and AMD control centre software

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous/detail?os=Windows%207%20-%2064&rev=14.4

step 4. reboot.   Load LR-CC and check performance under preferences and it should now recognise the card.

worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Work for me too! Thank you

Version von Lightroom:  CC 2015 [1014445]

Lizenz: Creative Cloud

Betriebssystem: Windows 7 Home Premium Edition

Version: 6.1 [7601]

Anwendungsarchitektur: x64

Systemarchitektur: x64

Anzahl logischer Prozessoren: 8

Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 3.3 GHz

Integrierter Speicher: 16273.2 MB

Für Lightroom verfügbarer phys. Speicher: 16273.2 MB

Von Lightroom verwendeter phys. Speicher: 635.8 MB (3.9%)

Von Lightroom verwendeter virtueller Speicher: 605.5 MB

Cache-Speichergröße: 97.4 MB

Maximale Anzahl Threads, die Camera Raw verwendet: 4

Camera Raw SIMD-Optimierung: SSE2,AVX

DPI-Einstellung des Systems: 96 DPI

Desktop-Komposition aktiviert: Ja

Monitore/Anzeigegeräte: 1) 1280x1024, 2) 1920x1200

Eingabetypen: Multitouch: Nein, integrierte Toucheingabe: Nein, integrierter Stift: Ja, externe Toucheingabe: Nein, externer Stift: Ja, Tastatur: Nein

Informationen zum Grafikprozessor:

AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Version: 3.3.12874 Core Profile Context 14.100.0.0

Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

LanguageVersion: 4.30

Anwendungsordner: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom

Bibliothekspfad: E:\Users\Walti\Pictures\Lightroom\Lightroom Catalog.lrcat

Einstellungen-Ordner: C:\Users\Walti\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installierte Zusatzmodule:

1) Behance

2) Canon Tether-Zusatzmodul

3) Export to Photomatix Pro

4) Facebook

5) Flickr

6) Leica Tether-Zusatzmodul

7) Merge to 32-bit

8) Nikon Tether-Zusatzmodul

9) Perfect Effects 8

10) Piwigo

Config.lua-Flags: None

Adapter Nr. 1: Anbieter : 1002

Gerät : 6738

Subsystem : 3b01043

Version : 0

Grafikspeicher : 1003

AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 1024

AudioDeviceName: Lautsprecher (Realtek High Definition Audio)

AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2

AudioDeviceSampleRate: 44100

Build: Uninitialized

Direct2DEnabled: false

GPUDevice: not available

OGLEnabled: true

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CONFIRMED!!

14.4 drivers worked for me!!

Operating system: Windows 8.1 Home Premium Edition

Version: 6.3 [9600]

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Graphics Processor Info:

AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

BUT, when i originally uninstalled the drivers manually, via the control panel it DID NOT work. I had to use the AMD driver remover tool listed in the other thread before i could get lightroom to work with my radeon.

Good work to everyone who helped! especially alanranger5‌ for the amd removal tool.

Back to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2015 May 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me too. Thank you for posting your solution and the direct URLs.

Graphics Processor Info:
AMD Radeon HD 5670

Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 5670

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the gpu shows passed but doesn't work.

I've tried GPUZ while doing some heavy spot healing brush and the activity bar doesn't even move. We (old gamers) had this issue with 2D Clocks, so i opened a movie, to see if the clocks rise (from their idle state) and tried editing on Lightroom while the movie was playing with no success.

On the other hand, zooming 1:1 with no gpu acceleration seems a little faster than LR 5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric Chan has stated, earlier in this thread, taht the GPU is not used for spol healing or b rushing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the thread, joining in. I have the same 14.12 Catalyst driver/ Lightroom 6 GPU issues for my Radeon HD 6670.

Rather than downgrade to 14.4, I'll wait a bit to see if a fix comes around for the newer AMD drivers and go from there.  I sent the gpu test #2 log to Eric.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok well I waited all day to to see if this would work. I downgraded from 14.12 to 14.4 and it works. As in now shows in preferences. According to Adobe, even if they find the problem, it may be sometime yet before they actually release an update version of Lightroom. Which is what they'd have to do to apply a fix. Well, lets see if after all, there's any performance improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto for my HD5450 downgrading to 14.4 now gets GPU acceleration pass.  But if Lightroom is going to use the GPU then maybe I should buy something a bit newer to get the full benefit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, it looks like all the AMD installs that are working are running language version 4.3.  I have the same (not working) issues with my HD 6670 install and will try the 14.4 drivers tonight. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downgraded to 14.4- GPU recognized by lightroom and seems to be utilized for various develop module actions.

Crop and sliders are smoother than they were before, but nothing major.

My biggest gripe is zoom in times and 1:1 preview rendering. This seems to be unaffected by the GPU.

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works for me with 14.4 on my HD5830 now.

The tests with HDR are very nice, the calculation seems much faster then without GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downgraded to 14.4 and it works for me too on 5670

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines