Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Activation or Deactivation versions of Lightroom 6

Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have installed LR 6 on new machine. I can't activate it unless deactivated on other machine. So on other machine I did "Sign out". There is a message - "it will deactivate LR on this machine" - I clicked OK. Still can't activate. On my Adobe account there is nothing under Plans and payment->Activated devices.

So haw can I use a product on new machine? I know LR 6 is quite old, but still it is something I purchuased and I want to use.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Adobe no longer supports Lightroom 6.14 (perpetual).

What does this mean?

• Installers, one-on-one technical support, security fixes, and bug fixes are not available for perpetual license versions. User to user led support is available through our Adobe Support Community.

For the latest updates and fixes please subscribe to a Photography, Lightroom, or Creative Cloud plan. Please be aware that there are two versions of Lightroom today. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Dec 14, 2023 Dec 14, 2023

This is a reminder that the Download Availability for Lightroom 6.14 is fast approaching. Please be sure to download it before December 31, 2023.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 508 Replies 508
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe no longer runs the activation servers for cs6 products. There is no option to use ones bought software. Really disappointing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe no longer runs the activation servers for cs6 products. There is no option to use ones bought software. Really disappointing.

By @kuronashi

It's really unclear what this has to do with Lightroom 6, which can be activated or deactivated as needed.

And I'm not even convinced this is a correct statement for CS6, although I don't know for sure as I don't own CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> Adobe no longer runs the activation servers for cs6 products. There is no option to use ones bought software. 

This isn't correct. The activation server for CS5/5.5 and CS6 already running.

Only the server for CS2 - 4 are down

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite.html?promoid=19SCDRQK

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way to resolve the issue would be to go ahead and modernize and subscribe to the Adobe photography plan and install Lightroom Classic. You would have much better tools to work with. Face recognition would work again. And you wouldn't have to hassle with trying to reset activations. As operating systems continue to change, it's only a matter of time until Lightroom 6 isn't going to work at all anyway, and you will have to make a choice. Either subscribe or choose a different product from another vendor. Lightroom 6 is so far out of date now that it's rather difficult to provide technical support for the tools here on the forum. You might think you are saving a lot of money, but you are cheating yourself by not having the best Adobe has to offer. My opinion, and it isn't worth much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are not trying to get technical help on product merely activate a product we bought legally.

I do occasional photo editing and lightroom 6 is adequate for me.

If you do not know how to answer he question then please dont answer -- stop trying to sell us a product we dont want to buy,

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option to deactivate the Lightroom 6 license key on a particular unit is no longer available online. You need to contact Adobe via chat or phone and have an Adobe staff deactivate the installation.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, sorry, it was just a suggestion. You are going to have to contact Adobe directly. When you do, be sure to emphasize that you only want to reset activations because Adobe will not provide any technical support for Lightroom 6. Here is a link to the webpage where you can contact them via live chat by clicking on the little circle in the lower right-hand corner.

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?step=LTRM_membership-account-payment_cancel-your-membership_sti... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JimmHess, there is no 'little circle in the lower right hand corner' on the page that loads when I click on your proposed link https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?step=LTRM_membership-account-payment_cancel-your-membership_sti... Sure, there are various places to click for help and support, but they go round and round in circles, never leading to somewhere where an actual question can be posed let alone answeed. It's a maze without an exit. I have a simple question. Like so many in this community, I am finding it more and more difficult to do the most basic things with LR6 - like move from one of my Macs to the other - without encountering insurmpuntable logging in and out problems. So, like many before me, I feel I have no alternative but to give in to The Man and pay more annually than I paid previously for a 'perpetual' licence that has turned out to be very temporary. The question is, is there a limit to the number of devices on which I can simultaneously run LR Classic as there was with LR6? I don't want the cloud version as my photo library is far too big to store anywhere other than on very large external hard drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are 'Signed In' to your Adobe account- then this link will open up the Chat box-

! AUTO CHAT LINK

Ask only for ACTIVATION RESET  (not support).

If the Chat agent will not assist- send a Private Message to @CMass as in the given Correct answer for this thread.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add on.

One piece of good news. The outsourced help desk may have received new instructions on assisting with Lr v6 deactivations. It used to be hit and miss if you would be talking to a Help Desk member that would not just state v6 no longer supported, perhaps visit the community page.

Now, these community pages, until a couple of weeks ago, rarely had Adobe Tech responses, other that the occasional caned response, basicaly So Sorry, what is your Adobe program name and version, what is your OS name and version, verify all updates, verify all OS updates, reset Preferences file, have a nice day

A few weeks ago an Adobe Lead got assigned to improve Adobe response in the community pages, communication has occurred advising her of this issue at the Help Desk, apparently it got sent up the corporate flag pole.

So, stat that Chat, ask for a phone call, ask for a deactivation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I use my perpetual licence version of LR6 on three Macs, always ensuring one of them is deactivated.  However, I couldn't access one of the Macs to deactivate LR6 when I had to activate it on another of my devices. This meant LR was activated on three Macs simultaneously, which Adobe seems to tolerate for a short while. Then LR on the 'third' device stopped working and told me I needed to sign in. I tried - forgetting two other devices were still activated - but kept getting the same message: "Serial Number Validation: please connect to the internet to validate your serial number". I WAS connected to the internet. It eventually dawned on me that I needed to deactivate the other device that I could access, so I did this, but the same problem recurred - after rebooting both computers I am still told to connect to the internet to validate my serial number. I gave up trying and signed back into the device I had recently deactivaed. BUT, while Adobe instantly reactivated LR6 on this device, it came with a message warning me that I now had LR activated on two OTHER devices and so would only be allowed 30 days access on this device. So, I have one device with LR active that I am unable to access, another that won't let me validate my serial number even though I am connected to the internet, and now a threat to terminate my usage of LR6 in 30 days on my last remaining access point. What on earth is going on here? And how do I resolve this nightmare?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per my online chatting with Adobe customer support a while ago, I was told that you won't be able to re-activate the LR6 or any LR classic version because Adobe disabled them, no more support all of the classic version, in the mean time they refer you to buy the new Creative, that I don't want to pay for this monthly! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2021 Oct 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mikecanonbury   @Minh Tang   @przemek15D5 

Resetting Activations for Lightroom-6 (De-activating) is NOT available online. It cannot be done from the Lightroom user interface.

The only possible way to reset Activations is to CHAT with a sympathetic Adobe staff member-(and not all are helpful!) that understands your request.

See the Correct answer in this thread.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I did chat with a customer support (or whoever was able to chat), but the answer was frustrated! They said Adobe currently disabled all old LRs and PSEs, so you won't be able to reactivate them if you clean out or change your computers, laptops! Otherwise they referred you to get the new creative version with monthly payment subscription! I said I don't want to pay monthly then you have to say good bye LR and PSE!
M.

Get Outlook for iOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have installed LR 6 on a new pc recently and I did not deactivate on my old pc. Fyi, I cannot access my old pc due to hardware problems. Appreciate your help on this matter. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gana8383, you should be able to run LR6 on two computers without having to
activate/deactivate as you switch between them. The problem seems to be
that Adobe have withdrawn the on-line system that enabled activation and
deactivation. So it seems you will not be able to activate LR6 on your new
device. You will have to contact Adobe and ask them to do this for you. And
keep your fingers crossed you get someone willing to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2021 Oct 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to move my lightroom 6 install from one laptop to another. I deactivated (signed out, etc.,) on the old machine - which now no longer has a license. When I try to activate on the new machine it says it can't due being "in use by the maximum allowed computers" which it isn't. So basically the license released failed.

Can someone help me activate on the new machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contact Adobe Support. Tell them clearly and definitively that "I want to deactivate a LR 6 license". Do not use words like "I need help with Lightroom 6" because as soon as they hear that, they will tell you that LR 6 is not supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tried that. quite firmly. they refused to help - said all license reactivations were now picked up here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes you have to try chat support multiple times before you get someone who will deactivate the licenses for you.  Adobe support is completely random.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An Adobe Staff is participating in this forum with respect to Activating Lr 6, see the link below.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-activation-or-deactivation-versions-o...

Her name is Careeeesa, reach out to her.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks. I will

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Lightroom 6 BOX and when i want activate program I click "sing in" and then I have information that "Update required Your browser or operating system is no longer supported. You may need to install the latest updates to your operating system." but i have windows 10 with the newest updates and microsoft edge. Who knows how activate my lightroom 6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there is no way! The only thing that you have to pay monthly for Creative version to use the newest Photoshop for photo editing! I used to call for help from Adobe customer support few months ago and was told so!
Minh

Get Outlook for iOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines