• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Black Screen in Lightroom Classic Develop Module on Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2019 Mar 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to LR.  When I installed it and imported some images into LR I can see them in the Library module.  When I select an image in the Library module and hit D or go to the Develop module, all I get is a black (not blank) screen.

I'm sure I switched some setting somewhere, but I don't know which one.

I'm using Windows 10, 64 bit.

Lightroom moderator (or anyone else), please help.

{Moderator note: Edited the thread title}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Mar 24, 2019 Mar 24, 2019

Turn off the graphics processor, force LR to use DirectX, and update your graphics driver directly from the manufacturer, as described in this article: Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Hi all,

We're sorry for the black screen issue when going to the Develop Module. If you are seeing this issue with the latest version of Lightroom Classic then, you should check the minimum graphics card requirements for the latest Lightroom Classic app.

Here's the GPU FAQ: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html

If the installed graphics card doesn't meet the minimum system requirements then, turn it off from the Lightroom Classic preferences > Performance tab

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 102 Replies 102
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off the graphics processor, force LR to use DirectX, and update your graphics driver directly from the manufacturer, as described in this article: Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, John.  Turning off the graphics processor seems to have solved the issue.  And I will go ahead and update my graplhics driver.

I'm wondering if you could please tell me, though, what forcing LR to use DirectX will do.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My (imperfect) understanding of DirectX: Windows provides programs with a number of different ways to access the display. LR tries to choose the fastest method that's compatible with the Windows version and graphic drivers installed. But due to bugs in graphics drivers, LR doesn't always choose a reliable method. DirectX is usually the most reliable but not necessarily the fastest method. Forcing LR to use DirectX may work around bugs in the other methods exposed by the graphics drivers installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me. I updated to the latest Nvidia Studio Driver to this date 1.12.21. Should this still be happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry for the trouble. Which Lightroom version do you have installed? Also, which Graphics card do you installed on the machine?

After updating to the latest Graphics drivers, does it resolve the problem for you?

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nvidia 2080ti, two of them. 

Lightroom v9.4

I'm on the latest Nvidia Studio Driver, not the gaming/general driver. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for the update. Is there any specific reason that you are still using Lightroom Classic 9.4? You can update Lightroom to 10.1.1 via the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop app.

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

222.jpg11.jpgCould you please help me i have the same problem with develop mode.. it doesnt open images. I sent you my settings. THX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing the screenshots. Are you able to view images in a Library Module? Also, have you updated the Graphics driver from the manufacturer's website?

Update Lightroom to 10.1.1 version and check if that helps to resolve this problem for you.

Let us know the outcome.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, thx for replying. i can view the pictures in library module.
i have the latest version of the graphics yes..
i tried to disable the graphics but nothing.

The same happens to another pc that i own with much better stats, graphics
card and processor i mean..
is there any solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated LR and I am having problems viewing/working my files in the Develop module.

When I chose a photo in Library and I go to the Develop Module I only see a Black.

The LR software and commands are visible but the frame with the image is completely black !

What is going on and what is the fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First suggestion-

Have you tried disabling the Graphics processor in Preferences? (and a restart)

ScreenShot470.jpg

Update:

Lightroom-Classic v8.4.1 now has a slightly different dialog with a drop-down menu for 'Use Graphics Processor'

ScreenShot378.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabling the Graphics Processor did the trick for now.

Next question: What  version driver is compatible for my video card AMD R9 200 series.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, beyond my knowledge.

Refer to-  Photoshop graphics processor (GPU) card FAQ

Note here that R9 Series are "Tested Cards".

Ensure that you have the latest driver for your specific graphic processor installed.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the AMD R9 290 card but I was advised by Adobe not to upgrade to the newest driver because LR was having a conflict with LR 2017. With this new LR 2018, perhaps the latest AMD driver will work.

I guess there is only one real way to find out....I will update my video driver to the latest version and hopefully I won't encounter additional problems. I will post the results after the driver update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solves the problem only seemingly - by doing this, you're giving up GPU acceleration and going back to software acceleration only. There is a problem with GPU acceleration and it needs to be solved.

The black screen issue also happens to me. Latest available Lightroom Classic as of now running on a Windows 10 machine (Intel Core i7-5820K, 16 GB RAM @ 2400 MHz, Radeon HD6770 running latest CCC). Restarting Lightroom fixes the issue, but it usually appears again shortly after that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read many forum posts that suggest that the GPU option in Lr preferences favors primarily large 4K, 5K monitors. Unless you have such a monitor, using GPU 'acceleration' may not make much noticeable difference.

See the help page-

Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to correct myself: GPU Scaling does NOT solve the bug. I have been lucky for some time but now I experience again black screens in the Develop module.

On my PC which is 4 years old there is a significant difference in performance.

Adobe should fix this bug - we are using a graphics card which is explicitly recommended by Adobe.

Thomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally disagree with the statement that the GPU makes no difference unless you have a 4k or 5k monitor.  I have a 30" Dell that supports 12 bit internals but not 4k.  There is a HUGE difference in performance with GPU enabled vs. disabled.  And yes, I'm having the same blackout issue with by Radeon RX 470 GPU enabled.  And my system CPU is no slouch either.  I've got an i7 running overclocked at 4.3Ghz with 32GB of memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here since I updated to CC Classic.

Windows 7 64bit

i7-4790K

RX480 8GB

Radeon firmware 17.11.4 + 17.12.1 + 17.12.2 all failed

Works fine before the update to Classic. Switching off the use of GPU is obviously no solution. It slows the develop module down very much, also in 1920px resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YMMV, but I had a 1680*1050 screen as my main screen before and even then there was a noticeable difference between hardware and software acceleration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI all,

I have the same problem everything is working but I get a grey screen when I go into the develop module.

Can I please have some more defined instructions in how to fix this problem as I'm not a computer expert

cheers Brenden

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Choose the Lightroom preferences from the menu. In the Lightroom preferences go to the performance tab. There is a checkbox there to enable the graphics processor unit. Make sure there is NOT a checkmark in that checkbox. That is the usual fix for the problem you are encountering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines