• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Edit in photoshop color of file saved/returned to Lightroom from Photoshop changes

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello team!

I have a problem with my Lightroom/Photoshop. (both were up to date).

Tried to also downgrade for one version, but no effect.

Actual problem:

I open my photo in Lightroom and decide to edit in in photoshop, after editing (or even if no editing) is done in photoshop I save. Photos looks same in lightroom (original one) and in Photoshop (edited / non edited), however new image that is now shown in Lightroom has completely different color tone.

Example is attached for better understanding.

Any idea what might caused this problem?

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Try resetting your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings. 

Some users have reported resetting Photoshop's preferences fixes an issue of profiles being removed before being saved and then accessed in Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed the SAME behavior in LrC 11.3 and PS 23.3.0

I will post more info on the issue later as I have been doing some testing

For one thing, I have found if I Just hit Save in Photoshop without closing the photo in LrC is messed up but if I close Photoshop and do a Save in the closing dialog it will look correct in LrC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested this several times and I cannot reproduce it, but there are two other reports about this. Try resetting the Photoshop preferences. That worked for one of the two people (I have not seen feedback yet from the other one).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JohanElzenga 

I reset Photoshop Preferences and this is working as expected.  The fact we have to reset preferences in Lightroom Classic and Photoshop is beyond acceptable, expecially considering it seems to be happening MORE lately.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"expecially considering [resetting preferences] seems to be happening MORE lately."

I was thinking the same thing -- it's my impression there's been a noticeable increase in the number of posts here for which resetting preferences solved the problem.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with preferences, as opposed to program files, is that they are rewritten on every application exit. So errors will accumulate.Not even an update will correct errors, because it's all just sitting in the user account. Any slightly irregular shutdown may compromise it.

Back in the day we were always told that migrating preferences to a new version was not possible, because the old settings might not mean the same thing in the new version. And that obviously makes sense. Keep in mind that this isn't just user settings, but the whole app configuration.

But users kept nagging about this, and then suddenly it was possible to migrate.

I think the old argument still makes a lot of sense, and migrating could be asking for trouble, if not immediately, then a bit down the road.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just finished a day's work in LrC and Photoshop, and everything's normal here.

In the one resolved case Johan is referring to, the problem was that the embedded color profile coming from Photoshop wasn't honored. It came from Photoshop as ProPhoto, but was treated as sRGB in Lightroom.

What wasn't clear was whether the profile had actually been stripped, or just ignored in Lightroom. In any case, resetting PS prefs fixed it.

It might be interesting to know if those affected (if it is indeed the same issue, but the sudden occurrence of three cases might indicate that) - if those affected migrated preferences from the previous PS version. Personally i never do that, I always start with fresh prefs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same OS, just tried this, from raw into Photoshop, edit and save. Back in Photoshop, everything is normal here as well. Both match as expected outside of the edits (I just did some cloning). 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello:
I have recently encountered a problem when using "Edit in Photoshop 2022" from LR. The image opens correctly in PS, showing ProPhoto RGB as the profile. This is correct to how LR is set up. I can make any edit to the image in PS--even just a Smart Sharpen, for example. When I save and return to LR, color is drastically changed (see screen grabs). If I edit the edited image back in PS, it will appear correctly, but not if I return it to LR, at which point the changed color re-appears.

LR and PS both latest updates.
Windows 10, latest build

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A reset of the Photoshop Preferences fixed this issue for me.  There was an UPDATE to Photoshop that showed up on my computer today so maybe the issue is fixed with the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To build on Bob's solution, a number of others have also reported here that resetting Photoshop's preferences fixes this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bug is due to the ICC profile in Photoshop, from the round trip isn't applied. Resetting the preferences is part of the fix. The other may be opening the images back into Photoshop and using the Assign Profile command to tag them with the color space you asked for in your LR preferences (Edit In). So if asked for say ProPhoto RGB, you may want to open the images from Photoshop and make sure they indeed are tagged with ProPhoto RGB. 

There is a new build of Photoshop, I don't see this as being addressed and it could be a bug FROM Lightroom Classic:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dog! Haven't heard from you in ages!

You are correct about the profile. When I am editing the image in PS, it shows profile as ProPhoto RGB, which is correct. If I then save and close, the image in LR is ugly. If I reopen it in PS, it shows as "Untagged RGB". If I then assign ProPhoto RGB and save, it looks correct in LR. LR is set to use ProPhoto RGB in the External Edit preferences, so I don't know what is wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dog! Haven't heard from you in ages!

Ah, I've been here every day for like years.... Welcome back <g>. 

Anyway, glad you got this all working and Adobe is aware of this issue, hopefully, a fix is in the works. And for some odd reason, it's not a bug that affects everyone for some reason. In fact it's kind of rare considering the user base. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this is a LR Classic or PS issue. A couple of days ago, I installed the updates for LR, PS, CR.

The process I always follow (and there has never been this problem in the years I've been using them) is as follows:

1. Make a few initial edits in LR (e.g. shadows, highlights, white balance, crop)

2. Edit in PS

3. Save in PS and it saves the image back into LR from where it came.

Although the PS edits can be seen, the image doesn't appear to have retained the original edits I did in LR (with the exception of the crop). I then have to redo the edits.

Very frustrating!

So I wonder what could be causing this? A new bug? Or maybe something went wrong when I did the upgrade? 

Has anyone else had this? 

Is there a safe and easy way to go back to the previous version of each of the software and then do a re-install?

Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I understand your report. If you send an image from Lightroom to Photoshop, then Lightroom will create a copy with the edits 'burned into the pixels' of that image. The only exception is when you start with an RGB image (tiff/jpeg) and choose to edit the original. So if the photo returns from Photoshop in Lightroom, then those edits must still be burned in the pixels. There is no way they could get lost on return. You will not see any Lightroom slider settings, if that's what you meant, but that is normal. This is a new copy, and so there are no and should not be any Lightroom adjustment settings yet.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image in LR is a RAW file (.cr2). If, for example I click the Auto button, it makes various automatic adjustments to things like shadows, highlights, cropping etc. If I then 'Edit in' PS, the image shows that these adjustments have been made. If I then make a few edits in PS and then click Save, the file is saved back into LR as a .tiff file. However, none of the adjustments originally made in LR (with the exception of the crop) have been kept. Yes, I get that the slider adjustments will not be shown.

I've been using this process for years and it's only since I installed the updates a couple of days ago that this issue has arisen.

It's completely baffling to me and I can only think it's something to do with the recent updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(apologies, I didn't mean to suggest that Auto does anything to the cropping  -  that's just another edit I make prior to editing in PS)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further info . . . 

I've just done another test.

This time I just cropped the image and made no other adjustments in LR. I then did some minor edits (removed a distracting spot) and saved back into LR. 

The .Tiff image in LR is 'darker' than the original RAW file. So, no adjustments were made to exposure, highlights etc, but the returned image is distinctly darker.

Hope that makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the TIFF is darker than the orignal, then something must have happened in Photoshop. What versions of Lightroom Classic and Photoshop do you use? There was a bug with profiles not being applied, but AFAIK that bug was fixed some time ago.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to these latest versions 2 days ago

LR Classic 11.3

PS 23.3

CR 14.3

I've just done the following as you suggested:

1. In LR I converted an unedited RAW (.cr2) file to Black and White

2. Sent to edit in PS

3. Made no changes whatsoever to the image in PS

4. Saved back in to LR

5. The .tiff file in LR is now clearly darker than the original (looking at them next to each other in LR)

So, it seems it's nothing to do with any edits I make in LR. Something is causing the image to darken when it's saved back in to LR from PS.

Something must have changed because of the update, but I'm at a loss now.

Would you suggest a reinstall of all three software? If so, please can you point me towards a safe process for this?

Thanks

I've no idea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, reinstalling the software is not the most logical thing to do, and Photoshop or ACR clearly do not cause this. This must be some setting that's not correct. First thing to do is look at the History panel in Lightroom Classic. Does the tiff have any entry that suggests it's adjusted by Lightroom on return?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Johan,

The History Panel just shows Edited in Adobe Photoshop (date and time).

I've attached the two files to compare.

One is the original .cr2 (the only change to which was to Convert to Black and White in LR prior to editing in PS). 

The second is the .tiff file saved back out of PS. No changes were made to this file in PS.

Obviously, both are now jpegs since I saved them back to my PC ready to attach, but they depict exactly the before and after that I see on my PC, i.e. the file that comes back out of PS is darker than the source file from LR. Even if I don't do a Convert to Black and White in LR and just send the original unedited colour version to PS, then it comes back into LR darker even though no changes were made in PS.

Again, all I can say is that this issue didn't arise prior to me installing the updates a few days ago. Could it be something to do with 'colour space' (although I haven't made changes to any of the Settings in either LR or PS for any version over the years).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To see if it could be a color space issue, post the following screenshots:

1: "Preferences - External editors" in Lightroom Classic 

2: "Edit - Color Settings" in Photoshop

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines