• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: GPU Self Test Fails

Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm troubleshooting why my GPU is not fully utilized in Lightroom Classic. I'm using the lastest 11.4 on a fully updated Windows 11.

On my system, it shows either limited acceleartion or if I select custom, it shows 2 of the three items greyed out.

I've found that if I go and edit the "self test" file and change:

crs:gpu_compute_quick_self_test_passed="False"/>

to

crs:gpu_compute_quick_self_test_passed="True"/>

I can then turn it all on via custom. That said, I'm wondering why this fails.

I've been messing with graphics drivers for a day now. My system is:

AMD 5600x

AMD 6700xt

64 GB Memory

Any ideas?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My opinion, which isn't worth much, unless you're using a 4K monitor I wouldn't be that concerned. If everything else about LrC is working satisfactorily I would just start enjoying using it. It would take a stopwatch and minuscule timing to measure any differences you MIGHT be able to measure anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JP Hess 

You may have missed it, but with version 11.4, LrC now uses the GPU during export, and the improvement is not minor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the specific requirements.

3F1F7DB3-7F82-466F-96FF-3FBD81EB5723.jpeg

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, those aren't very specific. That said...

AMD 5600x

AMD 6700 XT

64 GB Memory

DirectX 12

All those seem to meet those "specific requirements".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm well aware of the the specific requirements for 'Export using GPU', hence asking the OP for System Info details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Matt24883528o3gy 

Can you copy / paste your LrC 'System Info' to forum. You'll find it Help menu. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://pastebin.com/70TgZEP5

That is my "System Info".

https://pastebin.com/Ay58n8Gk

This is the log showing the test failing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your System Info is suggesting 12GB of VRAM. Please confirm that my reading of the data is correct. Also note that the text I highlighted below in bold indicates that your GPU fails to meeet the requirements for GPU Export, which given the infor on AMD website is very unlikely to be the case.

• Graphics Processor Info:
  • DirectX: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT (30.0.15021.11005)
  • Init State: 1
  • User Preference: 1

Can you confirm how much VRAM your GPU actually has installed?

I'm utilizing AMD"s "Smart Access Memory". I wonder if that could be throwing it off?

I would definitely try switching it off, especially if it's orientated towards gaming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing the log file showing the failing sanity test. It was helpful to me to understrand the problem you are having and to see the system information in that log. I wish I could offer a quick fix. I can't right now, but I will try to investigate the problem.

Does this failure happen 100% of the time or is it inconsistent? For example, have you found that rebooting, quitting and relaunching apps, etc. produces different results?

As noted the log shows "GPU primary driver version: 30.0.15021.11005". Using any different/older GPU drivers have you seen the sanity test pass?

If you are using the latest driver and configuration the GPU vendor recommends for Lightroom workflows, then you may want to report the problem to them as well as to us at Adobe.

Thanks for your help,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has seemed 100% consistent.

I just messed around with 22.1.2 Drivers from January 2022. I think that resolved the issue, I'm doing further experimenting.

Here is a more detailed thread with some input from another Adobe employee:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lightroom-classic-11-4-gpu-usage-issue-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm utilizing AMD"s "Smart Access Memory". I wonder if that could be throwing it off?

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/smart-access-memory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you're on the 22.5.1 driver. You could try updating to 22.5.2.  Also try the PRO Edition (22.Q) rather than the Adrenalin Edition:

"Select this driver if you are a content creator engaged in workflows like Computer Aided Design (CAD), video editing, animation, and graphic design. Radeon™ Pro Software for Enterprise is tested against over 100 professional applications. Built to help content creators make the best, AMD Software: PRO Edition is designed to deliver more quality, performance, security, and simplicity."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why my responses keep disappearing. Anyone have an answer for that?

I tried the Radeon Pro Software, did not fix. That said, I'm beginning to think that part of but obviously not all of the issue is my connection via RDP. I noticed that when I pulled the System Info page it shows the resolution of my RDP session instead of my actual monitor resolution. I'm thinking RDP could very well be a variable that causes it to fail. I may have already tried the correct fix but since it was over RDP it failed anyways.

I also see on Adobe's site the following:

Disable third-party graphics accelerators. Third-party GPU overclocking utilities and haxies aren't supported.

I wonder if Radeon Software itself (with which I'm undervolting the GPU) or Ryzen Master (with which I'm overclocking the CPU) could be the culprit? I've already tried stock settings for both of these but again, it was over RDP and that itself may have been compounding the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed the 22.5.1, 22.5.2, and the Pro driver, all using the AMD Cleanup Utility between trials.

No fix.

I'm running Windows 11, surely it isn't that easy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also see via Adobe's help that there is theoretically an incompatibility with "third party overclocking software" related to GPU. I wonder if either Ryzen Master or Radeon Software itself is throwing this off?

Sidenote: I think I found an older log file from March and it seems the check passed back then. Maybe I need to try and older version of the driver?

Or could this simply be a bug that needs ironing out by Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really want to "fix" this so the check passes, but I'm also wondering if the check itself is somehow bugged/biased against something AMD is doing.

I can "force" this to work by editing the following file:

"AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\GPU\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic\Camera Raw GPU Config.txt"

and changing the "False" to "True", I just wonder if this could cause me issues?

When doing that it does allow me to turn the custom options on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've already identified a few potential issues with your setup. Why not try removing the RDP?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I did.

Last night I tried all three drivers from the machine itself, not using RDP. No fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Maybe I need to try and older version of the driver?"

Definitely -- go back a couple months at least.

"I can "force" this to work by editing the following file: "AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\GPU\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic\Camera Raw GPU Config.txt" and changing the "False" to "True", I just wonder if this could cause me issues?"

Definitely worth a try.

The Lightroom Classic GPU FAQ lists these uses for the GPU: displaying and adjusting images in Develop, Library Grid and Loupe view, Filmstrip, Select Subject/Sky, Export.   So if LR encounters actual problems with the GPU driver (either a driver bug or a LR bug), those are what could be affected.  

There have been at least a few other posts about later-model AMD cards with updated drivers.  Could well be a coincidence (seeing a false pattern) or it could be the start of a true pattern.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that you listed two graphics cards installed. Reviewing the GPU troubleshooting help, step 5, it says "Multiple graphics cards with conflicting drivers can cause problems with GPU-accelerated or enabled features in Lightroom Classic." It then gives AMD-specific recommendations about how to handle that.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me or someone else?

The 5600x is my my CPU

6700 XT is GPU.

I only have one GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The 5600x is my my CPU, 6700 XT is GPU."

Oops, got it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Greetings all, 

Updates for Adobe Photography products began rolling out Monday night, December 12th,  The updates contain a fix for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines