• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: LR 6.14 Crashes with Face Detection Enabled

Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since December/November LR 6.14 keeps on crashing on Win 10 once I change into the face detection mode, after I changed it once it keeps on crashing, even after re-start.

It took my hours to troubleshoot this problem: I suspected Windows Autumn Update or other Windows Updates to be responsible. Therefore reinstalled Windows, reinstalled Lightroom 6.14 multiple times. Also had a quick call with Adobe, who did not know anything about the problem and suspected a faulty Windows as well. 

After some additional hours of searching in the Internet, I found a explanation and a workaround. It seems, as the face detection solutions was licenced by Adobe from a german company. This license expired in November 2020 - causing the Lightroom crashes. There is a workaround if you change the system date to September 2020 Lightroom runs stable again. However, while mostly all of Lightroom (including Facedetection) works - Lightroom then stumbles if you want to sync the meta information (seems, that photos recorded newer then the artificial changed system date cause the sync to stop. So, changing the sys date will let you execute some basic functionality, but the overall software is not fully useable any more. 

What I find a bit upsetting: I would understand, that out of support software will stop working if fundamental changes in the operating system are happening. But this case is a bit differen - the software has with this licensing issue an "expiration date", which was not communicated to the buyer and is also not obvious to the user. Even if I would use an old OS - Lightroom would not work any longer fully.

I really hope, that Adobe will fix this.

Further information can be found here: Lightroom Classic: v6.10 crashes in the facial recognition Modul | Adobe Photoshop Family

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator} 

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 19, 2021 Sep 19, 2021

[A software bug in the forum platform stops me from posting my reply as text. Please view the reply in your web browser to see it]

johnrellis_0-1632083798606.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There might be also different reasons - the first explanation I found in the internet was pointing towards this licencing issue, which seems plausible when a change of the system date is a work around. ... but maybe there might be something else wrong witht the LR coding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe will not fix this. They stated 3 years ago that LR 6 is unsupported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can't be that an expiration date is built into the software and thus the customer is forced to buy a new version.

This is not a serious approach by a reputable company. So if Adobe completely refuses to release an update for existing customers, I will definitely not buy an Adobe product anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one is forcing you to buy a new version. But since you have indicated clearly you aren't going to send Adobe any more money for Lightroom by sticking with LR 6, why would Adobe care if you leave?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, Adobe forces me to change the program, because parts of the program like face recognition no longer work.
If I don't get any more updates, I can live with that, but if I can't use my program from one day to the next, I'm just disappointed.
I don't know of any other program that resorts to such radical methods.
I realize that Adobe would prefer to run everything in the cloud, but I don't want to do that for privacy reasons.
I hope I'm not the only one who thinks this way, because otherwise I can save the post.
I hope Adobe will see the light and reconsider their approach.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2021 Sep 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bjr,

je suis TOTALEMENT coincé car mon LR6 ne s'ouvre plus ou plutot s'ouvre et se referme quasi immediatment avec un libellé erreur : "aucune personne trouvée" puis dump !!

Ceci fait suite à un arrêt impromptu  et maintenant la relance ne peut se faire,

Pouvez vous me sortir de ce mauvais pas , j'ai toutes mes photos bloquées.

J'ai essayé un lancement "forcé" en otant le fichier ".plist"

j'ai essayé de repartir d'un catalogue sauvegardé

j'ai essayé de repartir sans le fichier lock.

je croyais comme m'avait dit le support de reinstaller à partir de mon achat mais en fait ils ne delivrent pas le source contrairement à ce que j'avais cru comprendre .

j'ai l'impression qu'il y a une commande qui cherche à s'executer pour rechercher des personnes dans l'appli mais comment annuler cette recherche ?

Est il possible de basculer l'applicatif d'un autre ordi (mon portable) par copier ? et remettre le catalogue en ligne ?

merci de votre aide

cdt

alain

je suis sur Mac 10.10.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 19, 2021 Sep 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[A software bug in the forum platform stops me from posting my reply as text. Please view the reply in your web browser to see it]

johnrellis_0-1632083798606.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks  but i've already done the delete of the ".plist" file

for information, have a look on my LR board just a few seconds before crashing and dump

does it give more idea to solution the case ?

thks for help

alain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"thanks  but i've already done the delete of the ".plist" file"

Did you reset preferences following the instructions here:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/ 

Or did you delete the .plist file in Finder? Since Mac OS caches the contents of the .plist file, deleting it in Finder won't work (unless you exit LR, wait for 60 seconds, delete the .plist file, then restart your computer).

Your screen shot shows LR in People (Personnes) view, which suggests that you didn't successfully reset preferences.  After resetting preferences, LR should start up in Library Grid view.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2021 Sep 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JohnRellis and thanks for answering.

(sorry i was not at home yesterday)

I followed your recommandations :

-and tryed to reinit as written as mentionned but it did not open the block to reinit Preferences so, i renamed the 2 ".list" files and reboot but no result.

I also tried to install an old version 6.0 coming from my brother in law but i'm really surprised because Adobe tells me that it was a pirate software (I have the keys and it has been payed !) and now the LR board (when i start it is not the same  : sun in the trees with a cloud on 1st plan instead of pink flower before)

Nevertheless it does not not start even 6.0 or 6.7 !!!! what a mad !!!

I'm not a bankman and do not want to pay a second time  ! .

what can I do ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@alainp, Lr6 required registration by the Purchaser, this necessitated the creation of an Adobe a/c. The e-mail used will be the user name password would be required. I am not sure if it is possible for your brother in law to transfer the license key to you at this time.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try downloading and re-installing LR 6.14 following the instructions here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/update-lightroom-6-0-to-6-14/m-p/108193...

Later versions of Mac OS won't let you install 6.14 because its installer is 32-bit, but you're on Mac OS 10.10, so you shouldn't have a problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For me LR Classic 6.14 crashes shortly after startup with the error message in the Windows 10 Event Viewer pointing to the Facial Reognition module. LR first crashed right after importing a dozen or so photos, and following crashed on every startup. I was able to solve the problem by reinstalling Lightroom. It's no longer available from Adobe, but I had a copy on disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines