• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Lens Blur (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic & the Lightroom Ecosystem products.

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look for AI-powered Lens Blur–giving you the ability to apply optical blur on any image regardless of how it was taken. Lens Blur is now available to try on all Lightroom surfaces.

How does Lens Blur work?
  • Lens blur applies a depth-based blur effect, similar to what can be achieved with real-world optical lenses, by using AI-generated or device-captured depth data (when available).
  • Lens blur will automatically prioritize focus for the detected subject, but you can also interactively adjust the focus distance. Precise focus range tuning is also available (currently desktop only: Lightroom Desktop, Lightroom Classic, and Camera Raw).
  • You can also further customize the Bokeh shapes, highlight Boost (desktop only), and make depth map refinements (desktop only).

Will my Lens Blur adjustments on one surface be synced to other surfaces? I.e. mobile to web to desktop, and vice versa?
  • Yes, all edits will sync. To revert settings, you can go back to previous versions or history steps, or un-apply Lens Blur settings.

Can I add Lens Blur settings to my presets?
  • No, presets and copy + paste workflows are not currently enabled for Lens Blur during Early Access.

For more information, please check out Lens Blur. 

Please give it a try and share feedback in this thread as we continually improve this feature.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager

Current Popular Lens Blur Feature Requests:

Stop by and give them a vote if they're of interest to you!

Posted by: 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Please report your system info via Lightroom>Help>System Info...

If you encounter GPU driver issues while using ML features in LrClassic/LrD/ACR, please try to update to the latest macOS version or if you are on a Windows machine, follow https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html to update your machine to the latest GPU driver and  see if the problem resolves itself.

If the OS or the driver is not available or possible and the problem persists, then try the following

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1918 Replies 1918
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2023 Nov 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the blurred tool it is very effective

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A veces es imperfecta en los bordes, y se añaden como enfocadas partes que deberían quedar desenfocadas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pruebe la herramienta Refinar con el pincel de enfoque/desenfoque. Mira el bonito vídeo tutorial de Julieanne.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can not reduce the filter from 50 to 10 for Example.

If I try to fix it from 50 to 10 after activating the lens blur, my system hangs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At first try I love it. On my laptop (Dell XPS 15 2022) it is applied fast. One approvement for AI is maybe that very ends of hair tips, and single hairs, are blurred, so it looks like the creatures in the example are trimmed. But an outstander will not notice this I think when printed, or when not extremely zooming in:

Screenshot 2023-11-15 LRblur.png.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the information. 

It's working for me up to the point where I try to engage "Visualise Mask" or start refining. I am admittedly on an older OS version, which is just now beginning to flag errors in your Beta software and hang. 

Adjusting focal range and blur amount alone has been fun to play with. I would say the feature certainly has legs. 

It's a sad day to find that your software is aging out my hardware single-handedly. Every time I have to upgrade it's for you. When do you start offering coupons?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i like it and what it does but ist to damm slow im useing a new imac with upgraded ram 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you share your system info via Lightroom>Help>System Info....? The first run after a fresh install could be slow. The subsequent runs should generally be faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Achei super maravilhoso, mais se fosse em pincel aonde poderiamos colocar

no local desejado seria perfeito!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When working the lens blur facility it allways produces black screen incidents, which recover however it feels like there is a problem    Tom King    PS final results are marvellous

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try follow the pinned reply at the top to update your GPU driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks like a fantastic feature. The capture of depth data is quite accurate, and I especially like the interface to refine the blur and focus. It's possible to capture blur effects that is very close to optical blur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lots of potential in this Lens Blur feature, but I find that it takes forever analyzing. Hopefully this will be improved, being a new feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you share your system info via Lightroom>Help>System Info....? The first run after a fresh install could be slow. The subsequent runs should generally be faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Impressive and super convenient.  I found some of the bokeh not quite as I would like  with some colours "popping" more than others and when dialling them back the more subtle vanished.  Did surprisingly well with hair (although I had premasked the people) which stayed on for a while before it magically turned itself off.  However a thin sliver of clothing across the back of the shoulder disappeared and it blured from necklace to the edge of the clothing making part of a shoulder disappear into the blury background - in photoshop this would be fantastic whitht he ability to refine the mask.  I shall try a before and after pushed across to photoshop so I can merge them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try out the focus/blur brush refine tool. Checkout Julieanne's nice tutorial video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting an error message. updated computer and LRC but still not working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try follow the pinned reply at the top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this on a couple of images and initially it looks great. There were some artifacts around arms where it was obvious that it didnt work so well and the ends of hair blowing were cut off and odd. I can see where this will work very well on some images though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been using the tool recently, definitely impressed with it, however as expected it isnt perfect - for example today I was applying it to the attached group photo with a front and back row of people - one gentleman in the back was wearing a brown plaid suit, the AI detected him, but not the suit, causing me to be unable to use the tool in this image.
The next image of the same group however had no such issues. Worked perfectly.
I'm also using a full frame camera with an f/2.8 lens, so theoretically there should be a decent level of depth separation already in the image to provide for analysis (compared to a crop sensor or phone camera).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing your photo. In this case, you should try Refine tool to touch up the blur/focus areas. Checkout Julieanne's nice tutorial video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love the feature ! One thing that I noticed is that in clipped / severely underexposed areas, the blur function will tend to create color smudges (purple in my example).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried this on one image and it is fantastic. I do bird photography and applied this feature to one of my images and it created the nicest bokeh ! As an amateur photographer who can't afford the fast f/2.8 lenses which produce this great bokeh, I can use this great feature on many/most of my bird images to produce that beautiful bokeh that we all strive for. Thank you adobe for this great feature!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be interesting to have the possibility to deselect or select some areas of the subject.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines