• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Lens Blur (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic & the Lightroom Ecosystem products.

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look for AI-powered Lens Blur–giving you the ability to apply optical blur on any image regardless of how it was taken. Lens Blur is now available to try on all Lightroom surfaces.

How does Lens Blur work?
  • Lens blur applies a depth-based blur effect, similar to what can be achieved with real-world optical lenses, by using AI-generated or device-captured depth data (when available).
  • Lens blur will automatically prioritize focus for the detected subject, but you can also interactively adjust the focus distance. Precise focus range tuning is also available (currently desktop only: Lightroom Desktop, Lightroom Classic, and Camera Raw).
  • You can also further customize the Bokeh shapes, highlight Boost (desktop only), and make depth map refinements (desktop only).

Will my Lens Blur adjustments on one surface be synced to other surfaces? I.e. mobile to web to desktop, and vice versa?
  • Yes, all edits will sync. To revert settings, you can go back to previous versions or history steps, or un-apply Lens Blur settings.

Can I add Lens Blur settings to my presets?
  • No, presets and copy + paste workflows are not currently enabled for Lens Blur during Early Access.

For more information, please check out Lens Blur. 

Please give it a try and share feedback in this thread as we continually improve this feature.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager

Current Popular Lens Blur Feature Requests:

Stop by and give them a vote if they're of interest to you!

Posted by: 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Please report your system info via Lightroom>Help>System Info...

If you encounter GPU driver issues while using ML features in LrClassic/LrD/ACR, please try to update to the latest macOS version or if you are on a Windows machine, follow https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html to update your machine to the latest GPU driver and  see if the problem resolves itself.

If the OS or the driver is not available or possible and the problem persists, then try the following

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1965 Replies 1965
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been using the tool recently, definitely impressed with it, however as expected it isnt perfect - for example today I was applying it to the attached group photo with a front and back row of people - one gentleman in the back was wearing a brown plaid suit, the AI detected him, but not the suit, causing me to be unable to use the tool in this image.
The next image of the same group however had no such issues. Worked perfectly.
I'm also using a full frame camera with an f/2.8 lens, so theoretically there should be a decent level of depth separation already in the image to provide for analysis (compared to a crop sensor or phone camera).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing your photo. In this case, you should try Refine tool to touch up the blur/focus areas. Checkout Julieanne's nice tutorial video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love the feature ! One thing that I noticed is that in clipped / severely underexposed areas, the blur function will tend to create color smudges (purple in my example).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried this on one image and it is fantastic. I do bird photography and applied this feature to one of my images and it created the nicest bokeh ! As an amateur photographer who can't afford the fast f/2.8 lenses which produce this great bokeh, I can use this great feature on many/most of my bird images to produce that beautiful bokeh that we all strive for. Thank you adobe for this great feature!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be interesting to have the possibility to deselect or select some areas of the subject.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You meant the Refine tool in the lens blur UI? Checkout Julieanne's nice tutorial video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An excellent addition to Lightroom chanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this I absolutely love it! Well done devs!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dunno if it's just me but I'm finding that adjusting the slider for lens blur is just taking too long for the software to catch up. It starts at 50% default and moving it just a little seems to take forever to actually apply the percentage you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 17, 2023 Nov 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Lightroom Preferences>Performance tab, see if you can turn on Use GPU Acceleration option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great addition to Lightroom! The only issue I've had is when I apply lens blur syncing the photo gets stuck in LrC. Remove the lens blur and syncs fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great tool to the already fabulous LR!  Thank you for always improving your software.  The only thing I have noticed with the blur tool is around hair lines and such it looks a little too "noticable".  When fly aways look cut perfectly around the hairline it is obvious something has been done to the picture that is not natural.  I think it depends on the background of the photo some too.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to see some advanced masking adding to this.
Working on a wide angle photo of a guitarist pounting the neck of the guitar at me.

The AI doesn't recognize the guitar neck as the subject is suppose, making it just as blury as the background 10ft behind them.

Maybe some kind of overlay toggle for us picky people that like to switch it on and off while making

tweaks lol.

All in all a welcome addition, has worked nicely on a number of other photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha, the visualize depth didnt show anything at first click. Now I see! lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is also the Refine tool that you can play with. Checkout Julieanne's nice tutorial video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

suppose to be easy, it's the other way around. hard to use.  very slow and stacks the soft. another good idea brought to trash by adobe extremely bad software management, remarkable bad programming and most horrible UI. u are the best company ever in spending mountains of money on the most worse UI and bulky, bad, heavy programming. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One note, Ive had issues with portraits where the ear has been cut off and blurred out. Seems to do this to every other portrait image even if they are similar in composition. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is also the Refine tool that you can play with. Checkout Julieanne's nice tutorial video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to mask it? Sometimes the auto detect gets it wrong and the edges are wonky. Would love to be able to mask those edges out of or into the blur as needed. Perhaps I am just not seeing this feature

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try out the Refine tool. Checkout Julieanne's nice tutorial video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lots of work to be done on it, but kind of interesting. It's going to be over done for sure, but guess that is the users choice if they want to go all fake bokeh with their images. 

Selections still need pretty major improvements. There is ghosting around the subject and its confusing bird tails, peoples limbs, etc as being in the background when they are not. When you adjust the focal range, its showing that a hand and wrist are way in the background while the rest of the arm is in the foreground. Really weird. I just don't think this is near ready to roll out yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks Really good and very user friendly! The differences between the lens blur types is barely noticable!

The masking is seamless!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost worked perfectly on the first image I tried it on. However, it auto masked the background behind the scroll parts of the sign so that section didn't get blurred. It is GPU resource hungry for sure though. It blacked out my screen for a few seconds. Mind you my GPU is over 5 years old and only 2GB. Looking forward to using this in the future. Good stuff Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 20, 2023 Nov 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use the Refine tool to touch up the missed part. Checkout Julieanne's nice tutorial video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2023 Nov 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature is simply gorgeous. It nails it in many aspects as really looks real, and the options are very intuitive. Great Job! I love that you can choose the type of bokeh you want, beyond its intensity. I love the fact you can previous the field of focus, and to be able to model it from narrow to wide. The result looks realistic, and will solve many issues from photographer who can't afford lenses that open wider than F2,8 aperture. Now if I had one request, the cherry on the top... that would be if the bokeh could offer "lens type" options. People could choose oval flares from say "anamorphic" type of lenses, or overal circular bokeh from say "Helios 44-2" type of lens. Love what you guys do. Keep on !!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines