• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Lens Blur (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic & the Lightroom Ecosystem products.

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look for AI-powered Lens Blur–giving you the ability to apply optical blur on any image regardless of how it was taken. Lens Blur is now available to try on all Lightroom surfaces.

How does Lens Blur work?
  • Lens blur applies a depth-based blur effect, similar to what can be achieved with real-world optical lenses, by using AI-generated or device-captured depth data (when available).
  • Lens blur will automatically prioritize focus for the detected subject, but you can also interactively adjust the focus distance. Precise focus range tuning is also available (currently desktop only: Lightroom Desktop, Lightroom Classic, and Camera Raw).
  • You can also further customize the Bokeh shapes, highlight Boost (desktop only), and make depth map refinements (desktop only).

Will my Lens Blur adjustments on one surface be synced to other surfaces? I.e. mobile to web to desktop, and vice versa?
  • Yes, all edits will sync. To revert settings, you can go back to previous versions or history steps, or un-apply Lens Blur settings.

Can I add Lens Blur settings to my presets?
  • No, presets and copy + paste workflows are not currently enabled for Lens Blur during Early Access.

For more information, please check out Lens Blur. 

Please give it a try and share feedback in this thread as we continually improve this feature.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager

Current Popular Lens Blur Feature Requests:

Stop by and give them a vote if they're of interest to you!

Posted by: 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Please report your system info via Lightroom>Help>System Info...

If you encounter GPU driver issues while using ML features in LrClassic/LrD/ACR, please try to update to the latest macOS version or if you are on a Windows machine, follow https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html to update your machine to the latest GPU driver and  see if the problem resolves itself.

If the OS or the driver is not available or possible and the problem persists, then try the following

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1956 Replies 1956
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2024 Apr 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an amatour photographer, I am loving this feature. So far it has been a quick and effective way to enhance my photograps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2024 May 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! It would be awesome to change exposure in fonction of depth!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

L'effetto è bellissimo.  Le immagini sembrano prendere vita.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is still a junky pixel mess within a few inches of each person. No matter how I do the feather amount, I have a lot of cleaning up to do around each body. Also I wish the amount would go even lower. It seems weighted to be a little overboard and fake looking. I find myself only using the first 20% of the slider because the other 80% looks too obvious and not like lens blur at all.  The brush to add focus back in sometimes doesn't work but seems to be much better than it was six months ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

la sfocatura lente non funziona più. Il programma si blocca immediatamente e mi da l'errore.

come posso fare?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 03, 2024 May 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

awesome idea, but not working for me by now.

Masking the subjects is around 80% on point. Spaces between subjects often dont get recognized. 

When the background is chaotic (bushes) i get all sorts of artifacts around the person. 

I'd love to paint on the depth map pushing things back or to the front while still be able to have sharp masking around some elements.

EOS 5D IV / LR Classic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love this feature 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I absolutely love this feature!!!!!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works amazingly well but messes with the softare and doesn't work all the time. I get error messages. Then it works. Finicky.  But lovely results when it does work.  Dell G15 PC Gaming laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2024 May 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would love to have the blur feature working with the new masks feature.  IE being able to choose the sky as  a blur, or inverting the subject and bluring the background.  It is much easier to choose a subject with the masks (which does a great job) rather than trying to get a depth with the sliders and/or painting back "focus" when it doesn't get the subject fully. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2024 May 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No puedo aplicar el desenfoque, ni la selección de personas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2024 May 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used the new AI lens blur in ACR twice now.  Overall I like it - it's really quick and easy.  Hard to tell the difference between the different lens shapes.  I like that we can adjust the focal length.  My only criticism is that both times I used it, it does not blur the space between two objects in the foreground.  It's as if the program is not really selecting the objects.  It's just drawing a ring around the objects so that the background space between them is included and not considered part of the background to be blurred.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2024 May 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm writing to provide feedback on my experience with the new lens blur tool in Adobe Lightroom, which, despite its promising features, has unfortunately been marred by significant performance issues on my PC equipped with an AMD 6750 Graphics Card.

Let me begin by expressing my genuine appreciation for the effort and innovation behind the introduction of the lens blur tool in Lightroom. Its capabilities have been eagerly anticipated and hold immense potential for enhancing the creative possibilities within the platform. However, I regret to inform you that my experience with the tool has been overshadowed by persistent crashing and poor performance.

Despite possessing robust hardware specifications, including a 12 Gig GPU, 64GB of RAM, and an AMD 5750 chip, I have encountered notable slowdowns and instability, particularly when utilizing the lens blur feature. This has significantly hampered my workflow and left me feeling disappointed, as I had high hopes for the seamless integration of this new functionality into my editing process.

Upon careful analysis, I suspect that the performance issues may stem from inadequate cache management or GPU utilization within Lightroom. Despite my best efforts to troubleshoot and optimize settings, the crashes persist, indicating a deeper underlying issue that requires attention.

As a dedicated user of Adobe products, I am committed to providing constructive feedback that can contribute to the ongoing improvement of your software. I believe that by addressing the performance issues associated with the lens blur tool, Adobe can deliver a more satisfying and reliable experience for users like myself who rely on Lightroom for professional-grade photo editing.

I kindly request your assistance in investigating and resolving these performance issues. Any insights, updates, or guidance you can provide on potential fixes or optimizations would be greatly appreciated. Additionally, I am willing to collaborate further and provide detailed feedback to support the resolution process.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I eagerly await your response and remain hopeful for a swift resolution that restores the functionality and performance of Adobe Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed a few respondants raising the issue of slowdowns and even crashes. This is obviously something for Adobe to investigate. However, I may add that I have not faced any such problems during many hours of use on my sports images. I have been able to effectively blur busy/unsightly backgrounds that arise at some venues.  Spec: Win 11 - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12600K 3.70 GHz - 32.0 GB - AMD Radeon RX 6600 8GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too feel that there are serious performance problems with LR. Many times, during the course of the day, I am forced to stop LR and restart. Performance returns at the restart to acceptable levels. I do feel that the Blur tool is a culprit. If over the course of the day, I have not used that tool, then the performance issues with LR are not as acute. As soon as I make use of Blur, LR becomes very difficult to use and I must restart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well stated. That respectful type of comment should certainly get some attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have hardware that is less than yours, and I do not experience your
issues. If and when I do, it's usually after I have had the computer on for
a few hours or am editing with Lightroom, Photoshop, and Topaz
simultaneously. I restart the computer and things go back to "normal".
Also, this is in beta or a work in progress, so don't give up on it.

--
Sent from Gmail in PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2024 May 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appréciable pour rendre l'arrière plan d'une photo de course automobile rapidement! Mais c'est sûr faut de la RAM et un processeur qui suit! MacBook Pro M3 Max 36 G0 aucun problèmes forcément pour moi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The results look promising however, the time it takes to process an image using this tool takes way to long.  Until the tool is revised to improve performace, it is not helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting "Something went wrong" messages which come after a signifiacnt wait time.  For my set up this clearly is not release ready.......  I beleive I am running the latest versions of LR and also Windows etc (ie not a Mac).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being able to trace out with a cursor or even something like quick select in photohsop I think would be very useful. There's already a few photos where the general shape of field is correct but there's like, one or two random patches in the middle that get blurred, and the only way to change that is to completely alter the field

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

youre a wizzard harry, well done! love this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2024 May 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The AI lens tool in LRC is great, however, my Predator Helios 300 labours when applying the changes which it should not as this is a pwerful editing machine. the tool engine needs some work

Cliff Colreavy 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 08, 2024 May 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vou utilizar mais vezes para poder avaliar mas inicialmente comparando o antes e depois ficou incrível.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2024 May 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love the feature! One problem I'm having is that I need a RESET button (or functioning UNDO). My touchscreen appears to have picked up some incorrect manual brushed edits to the focus, and the tool created several lines that I don't want (see attached). Ctrl+Z isn't doing anything and I need to restore the autodetected depths to start again. Thanks

Screenshot 2024-05-09 052732.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines