• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paid for LR classic in 2015 & now trying to move it on 2019 iMac. Won’t let me.help!

Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought by buying a newer and larger computer I would be able to see my old versions of Lightroom classic bigger and better. Boy was I wrong. My new iMac is a 2019 and macOS Monterey apparently does not support the old Lightroom classic desktop version that I bought back in 2015. I don't want to move all to the cloud quite yet. Don't want a subscription & loved the desktop version I've been using all of these years. My brain is mush from trying to figure it out all day yesterday.
Sincerely, 

a pissed off photographer.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was no Lightroom Classic in 2015, you cannot claim to be a Lightroom Classic user or have a Lightroom Classic license; so what did you purchase?

Was it Lightroom 6?

Lightroom 6 cannot be installed on Monterey; however I have read that you can install earlier operating systems on an external disk and then use that earlier operating system to install Lightroom 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Meant LR6. Thanks for your comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As indicated, you didn't have Lightroom Classic. You had an older standalone version of Lightroom. Subscribing to Lightroom Classic doesn't mean that you have an "all to the cloud" version of Lightroom. Lightroom Classic still installs locally on your computer FROM the cloud and is updated FROM the cloud on approximately a quarterly basis. But everything functions locally just like your ancient, out of date, obsolete version of Lightroom functions. It is no longer offered by Adobe and is no longer supported by Adobe. And it cannot be installed on the new operating systems because the installer is 16-bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you for your reply and for clarifying about the Lightroom classic. I guess on my

new iMac I will be doing that.  Will this effect my previous workflow? ( plugging SD from camera in computer, bringing into Lightroom catalog, adding to collection & at same time saving original raw file to location of my choice?)

Also, I still have my MacBook- with the Lightroom 6 I downloaded in 2015. Any thoughts on how I can still use this in my work? I am just overwhelmed with the thought of switching. I also forgot to mention That I had a double hard drive failure & have to start alllll over. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new, modern Lightroom Classic IS a desktop version. You only need to be connected to the Internet to download it and install the regular updates. You will be amazed at all the features and enhancements that have been added, making LR6 look like a clumsy dinosaur. And, as far as Adobe is concerned LR6 is a dinosaur which is no longer supported. Here's the status page from their website:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/lightroom-6-end-of-support.html

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jill! Thank you for your comment. Everything got so confusing yesterday. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you mind sharing your import routine? As far as bringing into Lightroom, saving & backing up your raw files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just happened to see your posting, ... .   This is my basic routine, and it has worked perfectly for years, so thought I would share the steps:  1 - SD Card reader to iMac; 2 - Copy images to my designated & dated New Folder on iMac (important part of the image back-up routine outside of LR); 3 - Copy images to a designated "Import to LrC Folder" that I keep on my desktop, with a subfolder having the same date/name as in Step 2.   (At this stage, I double-check that this folder content items/size matches.)  4 - Launch LrC and direct the Import.  Once these images are Imported to Lightroom, because I have directed LR to an alternative drive location to store the catalog files, with a specific (other) location for the back-ups, I will discard this "Import to..." subfolder, once I see that the image files are there and all is good-to-go!

Note:  Everyone has a little different process.  This routine works for me, the same way, everytime.  Most of these steps are learned from Experts, here, and from other expert Lightroom contributors over the years.  Because it is routine (after every shoot) I always know exactly where the original image files are, on my system - including back-ups, and always know where the images are in LR, in the lrcat, and in the lr backup zips, and where those are on the drive.  I can sleep at night! 🙂

One thing I needed to remind myself for, was to check the LR preferences, and pay attention to pop-up prompts,  to make sure I was properly identifying the location for the LR back-up files, etc., .   to be sure that was indeed the correct location.  FYI

Wish you the best with all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I import RAW files directly into LRC from the camera cards via a card reader onto an external hard drive. The date is appended during import in the format 2022-10-16-file number. Before I clear the cards I back up to a second external hard drive. The LRC catalog is backed up,automatically when I close LRC, though I also make another copy of the Catalog files to the external drive. 

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it sounds like you will be subscribing to an Adobe Plan, be aware of the difference between what Adobe now calls two different applications, Lightroom (Lr) and Lightroom Classic (LrC)

see:

Lightroom Classic vs. Lightroom CC: Adobe

Lightroom Classic is the newer better Lr6 in effect. Lightroom is not.

Lightroom (Lr) is also known at Adobe as Lightroom Ecosystem (Cloud Based), as Lightroom Desktop (odd that one) and has customer based nickname Lr Cloudy. Blame Adobe marketing for any confusion. It uses an album on the cloud and stores photos on the cloud. It has less capability than Lightroom Classic. Basicaly this is a product for the smart phone customer base.

Lightroom Classic (LrC) is what you are used to. It uses a catalog on a hard drive, and normally you save photos on a hard drive. 

When you look at the Adobe Plans, be aware that while Lightroom is available as a one app plan (the Lightroom Plan), Lightroom Classic is not, this has fouled up more than a few irate customers. The normal plan to get Lightroom Classic is the Photography Plan (includes Photoshop, Lightroom, Lightroom Classic, PS on iPAD, Lightroom Mobile, Portfolio, ans some cloud storage)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines