Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photo editing capabilities: Lightroom vs Photoshop/Photoshop Elements

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2010 Sep 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a question about the features in lightroom. I'm not yet a photoshop user so I hope people can understand if I don't use the right terms. It seems from the web site that lightroom is a photo editor and a image file organizer. If I don't need a image file organizer is there any reason to buy lightroom instead of photoshop or photoshop elements. Does lightroom have image editing features that are not in photoshop elements or not in the full version of photoshop?

Thanks

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 27, 2010 Sep 27, 2010
1) Smart sharpening  My understanding is this is a newer and better algorithm than unsharp mask.

2) The layer blending modes: "darker color" and "lighter color:

3) Adjustment layers - where you can change the parameters of an existing layer without having to undo and go back to when you added the layer.

4) Noise reduction with separate controls for luminance and color

1, 2 and 3 are not in Lightroom (no layers in Lightroom at all)

4 can be done in Lightroom

Many people use Lightroom to do the initial

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have missed one of the "main things" about LR - despite it's great Library - its a nondestructive RAW Editor.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/about/

If you really want to miss the great library functions and are taking jpeg's you may be better off with Photoshop Elements or Photoshop, depending on what you're plans are.

If you can tell us more about what you are looing for exactly, it would be easier to help.

hth

Franz

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If you can tell us more about what you are looing for exactly, it would be easier to help."

All of the answers have been helpful.

There are certain features I've read about being in Photoshop that are not in the editor I'm currently using (gimp for editing and the picasa download for organizing):

1) Smart sharpening  My understanding is this is a newer and better algorithm than unsharp mask.

3) Adjustment layers - where you can change the parameters of an existing layer without having to undo and go back to when you added the layer.

I'm trying to figure out if I should get photoshop elements, lightroom or the full photoshop.

If I get any of the above I will have to get a new computer since my old computer is too slow and the disk is too full. At that time I might start shooting raw. I don't currently shoot raw because my old computer is too slow and the disk is too full.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1, 2 and 3 are not in Lightroom (no layers in Lightroom at all)

4 can be done in Lightroom

Many people use Lightroom to do the initial editing of the photo and then another image editor (PSE or CS4/5) for additiona; editing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This discussion has been very helpful.  I think I'll get Lightroom but I have one question.  Can you merge separate images into one image with Lightroom?  For example, create a diptych consisting of two images side by side with a narrow whitespace between and around both images? Can you do this in Lightroom without layers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom has no layers, and cannot merge photos. For work like this, you need Photoshop Elements or the full Photoshop, or other similar image processing program. Fortunately, Lightroom offers smooth workflows to allow you to send a photo to Photoshop (or Photoshop Elements or other), and then receive the adjusted photo back from the other program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks dj_paige. That's helpful.  So it seems like Lightroom and Photoshop complement each other nicely and getting both is the best solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2012 Jun 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you, this is very helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2012 Jun 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meansis, you might want to avoid posting your address and phone numbers here in the forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2012 Jun 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Did nt post it on purpuse, could you tell me how to take it out please ,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2012 Nov 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Biletubes wrote:

This discussion has been very helpful.  I think I'll get Lightroom but I have one question.  Can you merge separate images into one image with Lightroom?  For example, create a diptych consisting of two images side by side with a narrow whitespace between and around both images? Can you do this in Lightroom without layers?

That's actually extremely easy with lightroom's Print panel. I do this all the time. The only limitation is that you can only print it or export to a jpeg. Just google "triptych Lightroom" and you'll find 100's of videos showing how to do it but anybody can figure this out with a little playing in the Print Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2012 Oct 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Picasa as a image organizer and PSE (9) as a real editor (can't afford full PS). I realise that LR also has editing features lacking in PSE and Picasa. If I  still am working at a fairly elementary level is the LR4.2 organizer any better than that of Picasa?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Morning everyone. ive been taking pictures for yrs. i have a question. i have been using Lightroom mobile for a couple yrs now, and its free on the mobile app. i just recently bought the adobe photoshop premiere elements 2021. I'm learing how to manipulate that program. my question is How do i get lightroom on my PC to use with my Elements program. everywhere i look on the adobe site it is $9.99 a month to use it as a stand alone program... Do i really need Light room since i have the software of elements? 

Help me please understand these two adobe programs and how i may use them together or do i need Lr at all? also i just bought the Lens Ball and love what i can do with it. this is one of the reasons i bought the Ps software so i can learn how to flip the image in the photo. then i read that all you really had to do is turn off the rotate on the camera and take the picture with lensball upside down!!! Help!!! 

Thank you 

Connie 

Russell 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You have jumped into the middle of a very old forum thread, but I will attempt to clear up some of your questions.

"adobe photoshop premiere elements 2021."  I presume you mean Photoshop Elements (and not the Premiere Video editor).

With Photoshop Elements your workflow would be-

- Organize your photo files in folders by 'yourself' using OS File Browser (or Adobe Bridge!)

- Open and edit photos in Elements to create new 'edited' versions.

With a subscription to the Photography Plan (20GB) US$9.99/m (12month contract) you have all this-

- Lightroom-Classic v10.. with powerful database management functions, Modules for- Editing, Printing, Books, Slideshows...

- Photoshop v22.2 (the full Version)  for Desktops and iPads.

- All the Lightroom-Mobile versions for use on iPhone, iPad, and other PCs or Macs as Lightroom-Desktop, and Lightroom-Web (open in a Web Browser).

- A Portfolio Web Site.

- Share your photos online to Family & Friends.

So you have choices- Stick with just Ps-Elements, or subscribe to the Photography Plan (20GB).

Caution!! If you have the Free Mobile Lightroom- Do NOT uninstall or attempt to upgrade it as the photos are held 'in the app' and would also be deleted!!! This needs research to 'Save' those photos.

$9.99 PHOTOGRAPHY PLAN (USA)

ScreenShot139.jpg

COMPARE LR & LR-CLASSIC (Lr Queen)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to McLion's comments, let me add that the Lightroom "organizer" is a superior piece of software than the PSE Organizer ... it has more capabilities and fewer bugs.

But if you don't need an "organizer", then maybe Lightroom isn't for you, as you are forced to import your photos into the Lightroom Library Module in order to use the rest of the features in Lightroom.

Of course, I think you (and everyone else who works with digital photos) needs an organizer ...

I also think that even if you are shooting only JPGs, Lightroom is a great piece of software. It's not for Raw shooters only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom will mirror the folder structure on your hard drive or external hdd if that is your preferred method of organization.

If you shoot raw images I would recommend Lightroom as Elements has a stripped down version of Adobe Camera Raw. Even Bridge on the mac is now limited to version 5.7 unless you buy the more expensive CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jdur4567 wrote:

Does lightroom have image editing features that are not in photoshop elements or not in the full version of photoshop?

PS is capable of many things that LR cannot do and isn't designed to do. PS is a fully featured graphics application, whilst LR is for processing and managing image files from camera to end usage, such as printing, displaying on the web etc. There is nothing as far as processing images goes that LR can do that can't also be accomplished in PS. However for 99% of photographic usage LR does it quicker and with more ease than PS as well as being non destructive and doing away with the requirment for huge file sizes on your disks.

PS elements is a very cut down version of PS primarily aimed at basic graphic processing required by amateur users. Its ability to process RAW files is very limited in comparison to LR, but for jpgs it is fine and it incorporates a management tool, which whilst not as sophisticated as LR's will do the job. It also works well with Premier Elements for creating videos.

If your primary objective is to process your own photographic images from the RAW file in your camera to end usage, LR is the best bet. If you are happy with jpgs and want to also shoot and edit video the the PS and Premier elements package will do best. For professionals then LR and PS are essentials, even though these days trips to PS are rare!

As you can trail all these products give them all a spin. LR has a learning curve and it will take you the full 30 days to get used to how it works and just what it is capable of. Once you have got to grips with it most users would never return to relying on straightforward bitmap editors such as elements or PS again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2011 Mar 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for a clear answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 26, 2011 May 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have decided to use Lightroom as my organizer after using PSE for several years.  I have upgraded my exisiting PSE catalog to Lightroom, but ONLY the files that currently reside on my hard drive transferred.  Any files that had been moved to external disk using PSE, didn't transfer.  In the PSE organizer, it knows those files are on an external disk and gives you the disk name so that you can retrieve them.  Is there a way to import these files WITH their keyword information into Lightroom?  If not, this appears to be a real disadvantage of trying to upgrade from PSE to Lightroom.  Appreciate any help with this anyone can offer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2011 May 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use PSE to transfer the files that are offline back to your hard disk, then upgrade the catalog to Lightroom again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2012 May 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_paige wrote:

Use PSE to transfer the files that are offline back to your hard disk, then upgrade the catalog to Lightroom again.

I have LR 4 (using 4.1 RC2 at the moment) and want to upgrade my PSE Organizer 9 catalog with over 50k photos.  The PSE catalog is on my internal hd, but I have these photos on a 1tb external hd.  They are not on my internal hd because there is not enough space for all of them (that is why they are on the external hd).  So, there is no way to transfer them to my internal hd.  As long as the external hd is connected at the time I upgrade the catalog using LR will everything be okay?  I have many keywords and star ratings on all those photos that I sure don't want to lose.  It was a tremendous amount of work taking months to do all that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 02, 2012 May 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no reason to transfer your photos from one hard disk to another hard disk. Your catalog conversion is not affected by what hard disks you use for storage of your photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is what I was hoping to hear!  I only asked because you wrote this earlier:

"Use PSE to transfer the files that are offline back to your hard disk, then upgrade the catalog to Lightroom again."

It sounded like you were saying the files needed to be on the local hd.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

When I run LR and tell it to upgrade my Organizer catalog does it replace the Organizer catalog or upgrade and copy so that the original Organizer catalog is still there?  Of course, I have my Organizer catalog backed up, but I am just trying to understand a bit better what LR is going to do.  I couldn't find any info about this subject in the LR help.  Thank you.

By the way, is this upgrade something that will take a long time, i.e., I should start it before going to bed because it will take all night?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My earlier comment about moving file online was discussing photos on DVD/CD.

Lightroom does not make any changes to your PSE catalog. LR reads your PSE catalog and creates a Lightroom catalog.

I have no idea how long it will take.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2012 Nov 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realise this is an old thread, but one important point may have been overlooked.  Lightroom is non-destructive and makes no changes to the original image, whereas Elements allows the original image to be overwritten.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines