• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Poor Develop module performance on new retina iMac

Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2014 Nov 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of the Develop module operation are extremely slow on my retina iMac.  This machine has the 4.0 GHz processor and upgraded GPU.  It should be very fast, and in fact for operations such as import, export, and preview creation it is.  But for Develop module functions it is much slower than my Mac Mini and my wife's Macbook Air.  When moving adjustment sliders, there is a delay of a second or more before the effect is seen on screen.  The same operation on the other computers is nearly instantaneous.  I am running version 5.6, but I went back and tried it with version 4.4 as well with the same result.  Can anyone give me advice on how to proceed?  Apple support says contact Adobe, but I haven't found any way to contact Adobe directly; I keep getting directed to the forums.  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 24, 2015 Apr 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have seen improvement, and I also see teh black box when switching from the develop to library module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2015 Apr 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The black box comes up on my retina macbook too, both on the retina screen or on an external display. Probably a bug or artifact in the openGL implementation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 25, 2015 Apr 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also noticed a massive improvement but there are things that have improved more than others. For example radial filters are super fast now( even though they suffer from some re-drawing issues with the pink masks).

The reframing/scale module is great now too and generally the sliders are very responsive. But I don't see any improvements on the brushes, in fact I think this is worst. A few days ago I read from an Adobe representative (not sure if it was on this forum tbh) that the adjustment brushes are not using the graphic cards at the moment.

Let's hope that this is a work in progress, there are also plenty of problems with some ATI graphic cards where Lightroom is not recognizing the OpenGL. It does work on my iMac 5k (maxed out) but my laptop fails to use the graphic card for lightroom.

Apparently you have to install driver of Catalyst.

however, I'm much happier that i was a week ago and ready to give Adobe the benefit of the doubt while they keep on improving the software, we'll hopefully see continuous improvement......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a new macbook pro 13inch retina and I noticed considerable slowdown in the develop module in LR6 compared to LR5. This was all down to the new GPU use. Once I turned this off, the speed went back up to what I was used to in LR5.

Since GPU use was one of the few selling points of LR6, its pretty poor that this actually slows down the programme.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2015 Apr 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think most of you still experiencing problems with LR CC will find Eric's article interesting. He explains why GPU use can actually slow things down on older. less-powerful hardware:

GPU notes for Lightroom CC (2015)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 30, 2015 Apr 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having trouble with poor performance in the develop module. I'm running a Retina MacBook Pro and have the GPU switched off, which has been suggested.

Is there any way I can export an image in Lightroom with all the adjustments which I can still modify to LR5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Solution I have found beyond just resizing the viewport:

https://www.thnkdev.com/QuickRes/

This standalone mac application allows you both to upsample the display to even further clarity but, more importantly it lets you run lower native resolutions that do not exist as options from the display panel in Apple's system preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines