• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Presets a total mess in Lightroom 7.3

Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe work with us here. You just pushed an update that makes a total mess of everyone presets, even though you were notified of problems during the beta. We all like new features but come on. Is this programming school?

First, presets are changed to XML without asking. Ok, I see where they're going with the more compatible format and it has potential. But it's like Adobe did not even bother to see if it worked. Sure favorites are cool, but along with them, we are stuck with even more clutter of default preset folders and no way to remove them even though your customers have been asking for years.

Worse, Presets are randomly out of order inside their folders. It does not even make sense the random they are arranged. It's chaos for the LR organization many of us have developed over the years.

Next, the "Show Lightroom Presets" button in preferences still goes to the old presets folder and the original presets are there but no longer show up in because Lightroom is looking for the converted XML presets that are now in the Camera Raw folder. You didn't even bother to update the button? From what I can tell new presets installed in that official location will not only not show up, there is no way to convert them after the initial update.

I have thousands of photographers using preset packs I design. At this time I'm going to downgrade my working projects and recommend that people do not update until we have a solution for these blatant issues. I'll start tinkering for a temporary solution and everyone, please share if you have any until Adobe fixes this. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Everyone I've summerized the solutions we have found in a video and links to the file tools people have made that workaround the sorting bug (as well as how to downgrade) on my blog if anyone needs help with this... http://seimeffects.com/2018/04/06/lightroom-7-preset-order/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to find the XMP converted presets from the preset panel, by Right Click, Show in Finder/Explorer, they are in a new location:

C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\Settings

/Users/XXXX/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/Settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The XMP files can be organized and display correctly in Explorer, but it does not solve the problem within Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is related to an index.dat file in ..\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\Settings

I have a file named Index_A9977BC324D45582.dat and another named Index.dat.

Index.dat is garbage, it holds the path to some random xml file.

Index_A9977BC324D45582 seems to hold the names of all the preset files and folders in the order they're displayed in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So glad you pointed out where the presets are now stored (C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\Settings)! I had to reinstall lightroom and couldnt work out why my presets werent loading in. Once I copied my backup of the the CameraRaw Settings data they loaded in. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2018 Jul 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

with me they are not stored in Camera raw

I activated the option to store everything with the catalog and so they are here:

old: (catalogfolder)/Lightroom-Einstellungen/Develop Preset

new: (catalogfolder)/Lightroom-Einstellungen/Settings  (here are the new xml.files)

BUT New presets are NOT shown in Develp Module ONLY in Library Module.

In Camera Raw / Settings there is an index_(div. numbers).dat file but this is from last Update in June. And there ist a very old file index.dat from 2012.  There is nothing more in the folder under camera raw.

So my conclusion: Develop and Library Module use different folders.

What a Mess!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2018 Jul 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I activated the option to store everything with the catalog ... BUT New presets are NOT shown in Develp Module ONLY in Library Module.

Hmm, I don't observe that behavior. When I create new presets, they show up both in Develop and Library. Some troubleshooting questions:

1. After you checked the option Store Presets With This Catalog, did you restart LR as it instructed?

2. Do the menu command Help > System Info. Are you running LR 7.4 or an earlier version?  If you're running an earlier version, update to 7.4 and see if the problem still occurs.

If you're already on 7.4, then please file a bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum, where Adobe wants all bugs posted: Lightroom Classic CC | Photoshop Family Customer Community . Be sure to include the output from Help > System Info.  Screenshots of Library showing the presets present and Develop showing them missing would also help,.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am frustrated with the same problem.Presets Out of Order.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem - presets are after install LR 7.3 mixed and not alphabetical ordered like before. This is a huge problem, its possible to bring it back to normal alphabetical ordering?

Edit: renaming of all presets in new LR works...  good luck to photographers with more presets šŸ˜•

(renaming in Windows not)

LR BUG FIX.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea the rename does seem to help but not sure if it sticks. I'm going to have to start renaming our packs I guess. Rename and then rename the same name and it sorts properly. What kind of programming style is this?

Regarding legacy presets. It looks like on conversion 7.3 adds a tilde ~ to the old presets and leave them in the original folder. If you add presets to the original presets folder without the tilde it does appear to update those new presets when Lightroom is restarted, which is a good thing for legacy presets. They will still be out of order of course.

7.3 is really still in beta and they are using us as a test I guess. I downgraded back to 7.2 for primary work, renamed it and installed 7.3 again for testing. You can do it from the CC window and the presets all went back to normal since 7.2 uses the original presets folder (and seems to ignore the tilde that 7.3 added). Backing up presets first could not hurt though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Presets with tilde "~" are old - you can see new "settings folder" by clicking right on preset in LR and choosing "show in explorer". Its located now in "Adobe - CameraRAW - Settings", not in old Lightroom folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you downgrade?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can just do it from the CC app window. There's a detail on how to downgrade in my blog post as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try installing LR 7.3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there is no way in hell i will be installing 7.3.1 for at least a week until all the new bugs are found

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed 7.2 from the cc app over 7.3 an have everything back, meaning 7.2 with all my working presets  7.3 should have never have been released. Looks like a piece of *** in aplha state and newer been tested by anyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, i'm sure it was tested heavily and their team found and knew of most these issues. Unfortunately, they had a hard delivery deadline of releasing for NAB and didn't fix these bugs in time.

Artificial deadlines apparently now take priority over messing with the livelihood of their subscribers whose jobs depend on using the Adobe suite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know for a fact they were made aware of the sorting bug because I was notified of the problem by a beta user who was talking to the team before release. They shipped it anyways, costing users thousands of hours of hassle and fixes. Adobe owes their users a serious apology.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies are cheap. This snafu cost me money as I waste time looking for the presets. I read the release note thoroughly before updating. Nowhere was this mentioned. I want a refund for the month of April. I pay a subscription for regular, quality updates. Quality has just been dashed to the rocks and beaten senseless. It's going to be forever before I trust an Adobe update again. Hmmmm...On1, Luminar, Topaz, Photo Mechanic...starting to look attractive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. My presets are hideously out of order now. This seems such a basic thing to have worked to avoid. It's also crashed twice since I installed it a half hour or so ago. Doesn't look ready for prime time to me.

Messages Image(1882402969).jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given the info here:  Lightroom Classic: Develop Presets did not all convert to new format in 7.3 | Photoshop Family Custo...

I edited my xmp files that were out of order, and they did have a different value in crs:Name and crs:SortName.

I fixed the crs:SortName to match the Name (filename also) and now they are ordered correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good link Michael. Here's a comment on that thread that goes into good detail on what's happening. It's more detailed than the official response.. Lightroom Classic: Develop Presets Not Sorting Correctly (macOS - High Sierra) | Photoshop Family Cu...

I'm still blown away that Adobe would shipp this the update, ruining the experiance for so many without fixing the problem first. But untill they do it seems that this is what's happneing and we can fix it thru tedious renaming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect this error happened generations ago, when Lighroom first developed the .lrtemplate file format in the first place. They must have missed the alteration of the code if you create a preset and then rename it. Or, it's all our fault, for creating presets and then renaming them outside Lightroom. Not sure. Either way, it's gonna require hours of code-hunting to fix a whole collection of presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here and if I save a new preset it does not show up in my list, I can see it in the Mac finder , in the Camera Raw/Settings folder, but Lightroom won't show it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, if I click "go to presets folder" in LR's preferences panel, it still takes me to the old Lightroom folder with all the .lrtemplate files, not the new CameraRaw folder. Only if I right-click an actual preset does it show the new .XMP file in the CameraRaw folder.

Also, my presets are out of order as well. Clearly, everybody who has ever made more than a handful of preset was using numbers to organize those presets, so I don't know how Adobe could have overlooked this numerical order bug.

The only thing I can think of is, these new .XMP files are getting sorted by DATE CREATED within Lightroom, for some reason? I had a similar problem when creating presets for Adobe Bridge, and then trying to use Finder / Explorer to rename those presets- ACR didn't recognize the new names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines