• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Prints intermittently not centering with Epson SC-P800

Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing a frustrating and expensive paper and ink-wasting issue when printing 13x19 size prints from Mac OSX 10.13.4 and LR Classic CC v8.0 on my Epson SC-P800. Things are printing well for awhile and then if I have a paper jam, say, or have to cancel a job because I started printing the wrong photo, when I try to print again with the same exact settings (page size, print size), the prints come out with the left margin suddenly a lot wider and the right side having no margin (borderless).

I have tried to troubleshoot this  problem with Epson and they believe it is something with LR software and/or OSX because I'm able to print fine from Preview using a jpeg created in LR's print to file feature and the same Epson printer driver settings.

The major reason this is so infuriating is because of its intermittent nature. I seem to always be able to print small page sizes fine (4x6s, letter) in LR, but it's the bigger sheets where I run into this problem. I've finally learned that once this problem starts, even if I can subsequently print smaller prints fine, there is no way to predict if I'll be able to print the bigger sheet sizes with correct centering. Sometimes miraculously the problem goes away--rarely--but usually I'll have wasted another half sheet of 13x19 exhibition fiber paper before i discover the uncentered printing problem.

Anyway, the only temporary solution I've found is to do a major Epson printer software purge:

• Restart Epson SC-P800
  • Delete Epson folder in Library/Caches
  • Reset printing system in System Preferences
  • Reinstall Epson SC-P800 driver software

This 15-minute solution definitely works, but is obviously a major pain.

So this discussion is mostly a rant and a plea for Adobe software engineers to get to the bottom of this. For what it's worth, the problem seems to occur more often when I use Printer Manages Color, 16b output, and the Epson ABW (advanced black and white) settings, though I have not paid attention consistently.

For now, for 13x19 or bigger sheet size prints, I will use LR's print to file feature and then print the job with Preview--a slowdown in my workflow, but very reliable.

---------

Addendum

Now even Preview does not print correctly: similar issues with the LR print to file jpegs not printing centered, or with different sizes (8.5x11 on a 13x19 sheet, for example). Just f@#^ing infuriating.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to test this on my P800. I have printed many sizes with no issue, 4x5, 5x7, 8x10 and 16x20 on 17x22 paper with no issues. But I haven't tried 13x19. My usual machine is a PC, but I will try it on my 2015 MBP with High Sierra.

I take it from your post that you are using 13x19 paper. What margin settings are you using?

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made two test prints:

13x19 Epson ultra premium lustre paper

1/2 inch margins.

2015 MB High Sierra, LR CC CL V 8.0, First two prints with Epson driver 10.01. Third print with current Epson print driver 10.16. The driver version made no difference.

See the photo. All three prints printed with the designated 1/2" margins on the sides, but the top margin was 0" and the bottom margin 1". All settings were triple checked. As you can see on the MBP screen, the preview has equal 1/2" margins all the way around.

Since I almost never print from this MAC, I'm not going to put any effort into fixing the problem except for updating the printer driver which made no difference.

APC_2230.jpg

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KR,

I thank you for taking the time to reply to my post, and I'm sorry for taking so much time to reply. I was under a tight deadline and very frustrated last week. I finally reached an Epson support person and after an hour of on-phone support discovered how to rectify my issue.

The solution was not because of my page setup sizes or my margins or anything else related to Lightroom. It turns out that there is a "bug" with Epson's OSX P800 printer driver when you use saved presets. I had a ton of Print Presets for the P800, like I've had for other Epson printers. These were for fast contact sheets at 1440 dpi on luster paper, highest quality prints on exhibition fiber at 2880, cold-toned black and white prints using ABW on glossy paper, etc. It turns out that while it appears that the presets store your print quality and media settings, they wreak havoc with page layout and in many cases contributed to the margin printing issues I was having. The technician told me that the best practice was to use Default Settings and change all the settings manually for each print type I did, a pain, but something that has worked for me every time since then, no matter what paper size, media, sheet or rollpaper feed, and margins I switch to. The Epson technician would not say who was at fault, Epson or Apple, but did acknowledge that use of the presets was not advised. The Default Settings do seem to remember the last settings you used so you don't necessarily have to start over again.

This solution defies logic, but the fix seems to work for me. Perhaps there is some quirk with OSX 10.13.4 print system and the latest P800 driver, I don't know.

So to summarize, when you print with OSX and the P800:

1) In LR Print Module, check your Page Setup and that you're using the correct page size, whether it be standard ones or custom ones

2) Check the margins in LR

3) Use correct profile for LR color management

4) Make sure you use Default Settings in OSX Print dialog and manually change the Printer Settings for quality, media, etc. and verify Paper Handling is correct or your paper type (Roll paper, sheet feeder, front loading, etc.)

Hopefully if someone else has a similar problem, this will help them.

Paul

Epson_Print_Settings-default.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this! I was experiencing the same issue with 13 x 19 paper in my Epson P800. In my case the image was shifted way to the left and off the edge! Simply setting the preset to "default" fixed it -- so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2019 Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem printing from Photoshop CS6 using Presets and a Custom Profile. I'm going to try your advice regarding Presets (can't give up my Custom Profile as it leads to a beautiful print!) If it works I'll be a happy camper! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am pulling my hair out with the same issue.  I will give this a try and keep my fingers crossed.  I have put a lot of paper in the trash over this one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to report that using the Default Settings preset did not fix this issue for me.  I also seem to have the most problem with 13x19 paper.  One bright note seems to be a reproducible workaround that if I make a second print using the exact same settings, the margins are perfect.  As long as I stick with the same paper size, it continues to print properly.  Change paper size and the problem returns.

IMG_3710.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2019 Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue but it's only happened since I upgraded to MacOS 10.15.x.

I am printing from Photoshop and when I choose a preset it randomly prints the page centred in the printer rather than the selected page. Cue mass swearing and cleaning runs! Very frustrating and time consuming.

I will try the default suggestion and report back.

Many thanks

Jon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jon

Im having the same issue as you with the same OS. Ive done all the work arounds listed above, how did it work for you? I haven't had any success, every time I print it prints off centre.

Thanks

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve found that the Epson printer driver doesn’t always pick up a page size change from an external app.

So check in Print Settings that the Print Feature page setupsize and source matches what you’ve set in the app (e.g. Photoshop) and also matches the Paper Size in the Print Dialogue Box.

For me the driver was switching the Print Feature page size to A3 even when the app and the Page Preset Page Size was A4. Hence the offset print. Once I overwrote any old Page Presets the problem went away.

A4 with the hidden A3 setting under Printer FeaturesA4 with the hidden A3 setting under Printer Features

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Your workabout was great for an A3 print. Very frustrating though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue OS10-15-6. Ive done all the work arounds listed above, I haven't had any success, every time I print it prints off centre.

Thanks

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, here we are in July of 2021 and I am experiencing this same issue. Even more frustrating is that I spent a couple hours on the phone with Epson Tech support (exhausted Rep #1, had to go to level 2), and they had no knowledge of this issue.

Went through all the checks, deleted and re-installed the printer, updated the Printer Driver, could not download and update the Printer Firmware. Final recommendation was to take the printer to a computer maintenance place. 

So thanks for all your comments, I will not be wasting my time and money on that trip.

My symptoms are similar: prints and margins work fine on smaller paper, or even larger paper that is not 13X19 (I print on Japanese papers and silks, so there are a lot of odd sizes). The margin on the 13x19 paper was too big on the left side and non-existant on the right side. Same results printing with Photoshop and with Preview.

I am in the same boat with not wanting to waste my good 13x19 paper, not to mention the ink. I think my settings are always on Default, and then I select from one of my preset sizes and margins. Does this mean I have to delete all my presets and create a new setting each time? yuk.

I am printing from a Mac, OS 10.15.x (OS Catalina). Epson Printer Driver is 10.85.

and here is me, trying to print some last minute pieces for my art fair on the weekend. Plan B? Plan C?

Most aggravating is that Epson Support does not recognize this as a known problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2022 Aug 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now it's August 2022 & luck me, I've just encountered this same bug after having had no problems for the last 3+ years of successful printing in all sizes with my P800.  I'm PC-based (WIN10) not Mac. But I'm struggling with this exact same issue.  13x19 Exhibition Fiber seems to be the insurmountable hurdle. I can mostly print successfully with Luster & Glossy but even those are not 100% reliable.  The Exhibition Fiber is 100% unreliable.  It prints off the paper regardless of margins or cell dimensions or with grossly off-center dimensions. 
I've updated firmware, uninstalled & reinstalled printer profiles to no avail.  I haven't completely uninstalled the P-800 software yet and reinstall it. I'll try the next. 
I am not a novice when it comes to printing with Epson printers & Lightroom.  I've been doing so without issue for over 10 years but now I'm baffled by this obvious bug.  Something has changed but what?  I'll try the suggestions some of you have recommended before calling Epson Support. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2022 Aug 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

CORRECTION;   I've been printing with the p800 for 7 years without issues until now in 2022 with the problem I've described in my original post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines