Exit

🔎 Quick Tips: How to give Full Disk Access to Lightroom Classic on macOS

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LrC HEADER .jpg

How to provide Full Disk Access on macOS

Since macOS 10.14 (Mojave), Apple introduced a new privacy structure to help ensure that all applications obtain user consent before accessing documents, downloads, desktop, iCloud Drive, and network volumes. This has been reinforced in newer versions of macOS. This change prevents unauthorized access to user files and folders.

When Full Disk access & Accessibility permissions are needed, users may be asked to or be required to change the setting in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy for Lightroom Classic manually.   

While for the File & Folders access, the user is prompted to allow or deny when needed. 

Why provide full disk access to Lightroom Classic?

Insufficient or broken permissions may restrict Lightroom Classic from functioning correctly and break your workflows. All tasks that require access to the computer's storage importing/exporting images, cross-app workflows, reading/writing metadata,  and more, behave unexpectedly. It may also lead to missing images, performance issues, unexpected sync issues, and random app crash on launch or while working on a file. 

Watch this video for the steps:

MohitGoyal_0-1686770353032.png

Quick steps to enable full disk access and grant permissions to Lightroom Classic

Follow these steps to prevent the permissions issues from occurring: 

❶  Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Click the Lock icon > Authorize via password > Unlock the lock to allow changes to system settings. 

SameerK_0-1649863460950.png

Add Lightroom Classic by clicking on the (+) button & navigate to the Applications folder on macOS.

SameerK_0-1651070095792.png

Go to Full Disk Access and add Lightroom Classic by clicking on the (+) button & navigate to the Applications folder on macOS.
Note: Adding Lightroom Classic under Full Disk Access overrides Files and Folders settings. 

SameerK_1-1651063386869.png

Click the Lock icon to save the changes. Restart your computer to see the applied changes. 

Stay tuned for more tips to come.

Related links:

Lightroom Classic system requirements 

Quick Tips: Optimize LrC preferences for better performance 

Basic troubleshooting steps to fix issues in Lightroom Classic 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 388 Replies 388
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Catalogs may not be accessed on a non-local drive. 

See: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/lightroom-classic/kb/catalog-faq-lightroom.html 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography wrote:

Lightroom Catalogs may not be accessed on a non-local drive. 

See: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/lightroom-classic/kb/catalog-faq-lightroom.html 

That is probably not be the right answer. The OWC Thunderbay is a direct-attached storage (DAS) multi-bay storage enclosure, clearly local, not a NAS. It’s called “Thunderbay” because the connection port is Thunderbolt, which is of course a local protocol. The Thunderbay series, and other OWC local storage solutions, are quite popular with creative professionals. It has no network connectivity of any kind.

It does seem like further investigation into their problem is reasonable. I have stored Lightroom Classic images on a similar OWC multi-bay enclosure that connects via USB-C and have not seen this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This drive connects directly to my laptop and is not a network drive. Further, I have used it for several years with success with Lightroom. I think Lightroom uses MySQL Lite as its database and thus, cannot work as a network drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

I'm having this same issue and can't find a solution.  Did you ever get a fix that worked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the OCW drive and press Cmd-i to get the info dialog for that drive. Look all the way at the bottom. Is 'Ignore ownership for this volume' checked? If not, check it.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Johan, apprecite your help, but I dont have an ignore ownership option - 

crthomas8888_0-1648763354473.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@crthomas8888 wrote:

Hi Johan, apprecite your help, but I dont have an ignore ownership option - 

crthomas8888_0-1648763354473.png

Right! Your disk is used as a Time Machine backup disk, that is the problem (and that is also why it is missing the option I mentioned). Time Machine protects the disk against access by other apps, to make sure these apps do not mess with the backups. My advice: use a Time Machine backup disk for backups only. Or partition it, so you can have a dedicated Time Machine partition.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Success -

Here is what I did in case it can help anyone else:

1. I added another external drive to my Mac
  2. Set it us as the Time Machine Drive
  3. Ran a backup on it
  4. Deteleted the backup on my Drobo
  5. Rebooted
  6. The Drobo then showed up in Finder as normal drive, not the Time Machine 
  7. I was able to launch LR and I was up and running

Here is what didn't work (in case this is helpful)

- moving the catalog to my desktop, I could open the catalog but the catalog count access the phonts on my Drobo, due to the same read / write issues

- trying to change permissions (either within Finder, or the Disk Utility App, or under Security / Privacy

And here is what seems to be the root of this (only a guess)

I had no issues until I upgraded to Montery 12.3

It all worked (with my Drobo as my Time Machine, etc. when I was on 12.2, then 12.3 came and it couldnt read/write

Hope this can be helpful to others,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It all worked (with my Drobo as my Time Machine, etc. when I was on 12.2, then 12.3 came and it couldnt read/write"

Then you have been lucky. Using a Time Machine backup disk for other purposes has caused problems for many people for a long time. Time Machine 'owns' its disk, and so it changes its permissions. If you select a normal disk and use 'Get Info', you will see an 'Ignore ownership of this volume' checkbox at the bottom of the dialog. Checking this box grants read/write permissions to all apps, regardless of their own permissions. If you look at a Time Machine disk, you will notice that this checkbox has disappeared. With MacOS 12.3.1 this has no doubt become even strickter, but it was never a good idea to use a Time Machine backup disk for anything but that backup.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That option does not exist. Though I should not have to do this, I did change permission to read/write for admin, me, staff and everyone. 

It made no difference; Lightroom still reports a permission problem.

Newly created Lightroom catalogs do open properly on the OWC drive. However, 6 T of older catalogs will not open. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Adobe Tech Support refuses to talk to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this helps, but I have noticed that this issue happened for me as well with an OWC Thunderbay 4 DAS array; however, it happened after the most recent update.  But when I attempted to downgrade back to a previous version, it still did not work.  I ended up creating the library on another local drive (not C drive) and it managed to work and import just fine.

I guess for some reason, the library can't be on the array, but it can be on an internal RAID array (not one externally connected)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since this thread started (early in the life of Mac OS 12.3), we've discovered that something changed in Mac OS 12.3.1 (or 12.3), and many people are finding they need to grant LR Full Disk Access. See:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-give-full-disk-access...

So I recommend trying that before coming to any other conclusions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you John Rellis. Your solution worked for me. Many thanks to all those who commented.

Jim Brown

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Outside of LrC. on your MAC. When you  choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click Security & Privacy, then click Privacy, Select Files and Folders. For Lightroom Classic, what do you see?

CatalinaFilesandFolders.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes - 

crthomas8888_0-1648768534054.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The dreaded Lightroom Classic "preview unavailable for this file" has struck me now. On Feb 12, my previews upon import showed as normal; on Feb. 16, I began getting the error. Same camera, same SD card, same computer, same everything except LRC. I can only guess that the upgrade to LRC 11.2 broke something. Canon EOS-R, iMac 2020 27" Big Sur 11.6.2. Any fix for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a similar issue reported at the below post. Using an external memory card reader resolved the issue. Suspected that the iMac built-in memory card reader is defective or an OSX update corrupted the device firmware. Try using a different memory card reader.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lrc-does-not-recognize-any-files-canon-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, Todd, but no luck. LRC can read the files and import them fine, it just doesn't show the previews, so I can't see what I'm importing. And as I say, it started after the upgrade to 11.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try a different memory card reader? That's the only way you can rule out the built-in card reader as the cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried two differernt ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your LrC Preferences file as outlined at the below article. Place a copy of the current Preferences file on your desktop so it can be easily restored if of no help.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines