Exit

🔎 Quick Tips: How to give Full Disk Access to Lightroom Classic on macOS

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LrC HEADER .jpg

How to provide Full Disk Access on macOS

Since macOS 10.14 (Mojave), Apple introduced a new privacy structure to help ensure that all applications obtain user consent before accessing documents, downloads, desktop, iCloud Drive, and network volumes. This has been reinforced in newer versions of macOS. This change prevents unauthorized access to user files and folders.

When Full Disk access & Accessibility permissions are needed, users may be asked to or be required to change the setting in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy for Lightroom Classic manually.   

While for the File & Folders access, the user is prompted to allow or deny when needed. 

Why provide full disk access to Lightroom Classic?

Insufficient or broken permissions may restrict Lightroom Classic from functioning correctly and break your workflows. All tasks that require access to the computer's storage importing/exporting images, cross-app workflows, reading/writing metadata,  and more, behave unexpectedly. It may also lead to missing images, performance issues, unexpected sync issues, and random app crash on launch or while working on a file. 

Watch this video for the steps:

MohitGoyal_0-1686770353032.png

Quick steps to enable full disk access and grant permissions to Lightroom Classic

Follow these steps to prevent the permissions issues from occurring: 

❶  Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Click the Lock icon > Authorize via password > Unlock the lock to allow changes to system settings. 

SameerK_0-1649863460950.png

Add Lightroom Classic by clicking on the (+) button & navigate to the Applications folder on macOS.

SameerK_0-1651070095792.png

Go to Full Disk Access and add Lightroom Classic by clicking on the (+) button & navigate to the Applications folder on macOS.
Note: Adding Lightroom Classic under Full Disk Access overrides Files and Folders settings. 

SameerK_1-1651063386869.png

Click the Lock icon to save the changes. Restart your computer to see the applied changes. 

Stay tuned for more tips to come.

Related links:

Lightroom Classic system requirements 

Quick Tips: Optimize LrC preferences for better performance 

Basic troubleshooting steps to fix issues in Lightroom Classic 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 388 Replies 388
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Rellis-did a great job fixing a very irritating issue. Cause still remains a mystery. Key is must have LR and PS listed under Full Access if not there must add and must open lock at bottom of page before can activate anything. GRR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you John, I was getting worried! STAR!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2022 Apr 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!!!! It worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep! nailed it - thanks mate - worked first time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou! Finally something that worked!!!! Lifesaver. 

Adobe really need to fix this issue! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kimberleyf47967911 wrote:

Thankyou! Finally something that worked!!!! Lifesaver. 

Adobe really need to fix this issue! 

I'm not sure Adobe can fix this. This is an Apple issue.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not really an Adobe issue from what I can see. Many other applications I have installed also require you to allow full disk access. Just the nature of the Operating System.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you John you legend, i lost so much time trying to work this out until I saw your post! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Kent and John, as a single user on my desktop computer I am comfortable with setting my Adobe apps with "Full disk access". Selected this option a couple years ago.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the step required for me to get going again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU !!!

ADOBE needs to HIRE YOU on the SPOT !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tx much-glad it helped-amazing how frustrating these little things can be!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved. The Full Disc Access solution is working for me. 

Thanks to everyone for all their help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, it worked.

Karine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - it is an unexpected extra step that we did not have to do before. 

One thing to remember though is that almost every application I have installed, from Adobe and others, on the newer systems requires this step!!!

I have done several complete clean installs of Monterey on my own and several friends computers, and then re installed all their software, and almost every application required this step to complete.

The NEW normal!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, Im going thru the same issue but when I click on the + I dont get the Applications> adobe Lightroom Classic option ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Im going thru the same issue but when I click on the + I dont get the Applications> adobe Lightroom Classic option ?"

Please post a full-resolution screenshot of what you see after you click +.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if I understand you correctly, you go to the System Preferenes, then select Security & Privcay, then  Select FUll Disk Access in the left colum and then unlock the lock at the bottom left of the full window. In the scrollable pane on the right, have you looked for the Lightroom Classic? Mine in this screen shot is already checked as it should be. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 14.52.02.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If yours is not checked, just click the blank checkbox next to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CLikcin ghte Plus sign under the right side pane, takes you to a window where you can select Applications, and then if you select Lightroom Classic, you could click the Open button which would be available.

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 14.55.38.png

Theoretically you should not need to go to that step because if you installed Lightroom Classic it should appear in the SYstem Preferences Security window under full disk access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple changed the security requirements. When Lightroom Classic was installed, adding it to 'Files and Folders' was enough, so that is what the installer normally did. A fresh install should indeed not force you to do this, but an update could and even without updating Lightroom Classic you could get this problem, because it's MacOS that changed things.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that explanation, Johan!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monterey 12.3 beta M1 Macbook Pro

Lightroom Classic 11.2

OWC 6.2.1

When I try to open an existing catalog on external drive Thunderbay I have the following error:

"The Lightroom catalog cannot be used because the parent folder “/Volumes/ThunderBay/2021_Christmas_Card/2021_Christmas_Card” does not allow files to be created within it." This error is reported no matter the particular Lightroom catalog. It goes on to say it is a permissions problem. 

I have determined it is not a permissions problem. This has been confirm both by Apple tech support and Indiana University tech support. 

Further, Lightroom can create a new catalog on Thunderbay and it subsequently opens normally.

Steps I have taken.

1. I have manually reset permissions according to Adobe suggestion before posting here.

2. I have conferred with Apple tech support that determined permission were correct.

3. I called Adobe tech support who refused to talk to me since I got my Lightroom through

Indiana University. Adobe said talk to Indiana University tech support.

4. I spent about two hours with Indiana University tech support and they gave up. They suggested I contact OWC, the manufacturer of the drive.

5. I contacted OWC tech support and followed their instructions to send a tech report from their softwore from my computer. I did. OWC is not familiar with Lightroom. OWC has no solution.

a. I can make a new catelog on the drive and it works properly. 

b. I can copy a catalog that doesn't open from the drive to my Macbook Pro and it opens properly. I can copy the very same file back to the external Thunderbay drive and it won't open.

c. Lightroom can update and open older catalogs from an external drive that is not a raid array.

I conclude that Lightroom has some bug in interfacing with a OWC raid array. 

Adobe tech support won't talk to me and Apple, Indiana University and OWC have given up.

I hope someone reading this has a viable solution.

Jim Brown

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines