• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Edit a copy with Lightroom Adjustments" no longer appearing.

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2019 Mar 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've searched high and low for a solution to this problem. It looks like it was once and issue back in 2014 and then again in late 2018.

I'm using Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC. Windows 10. Both are current. Issue began after updating in January 2019.

When I try to bring an image into photoshop from lightroom (edit in>photoshop 2019), instead of the dialogue box where I can select 'edit a copy with lightroom adjustments', it simply send the untouched original photo to lightroom without any dialogue whatsoever. Very curious if anyone else has had this issue and would love a solution. I've resorted to writing photo numbers down to edit later after a final export 😕

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is normal to see no options dialog when your LR image is being processed directly from Raw.

In that case "Edit a Copy with LR adjustments" is the only workable option, and there'd be no point giving you a selection dialog with only one choice presented. The others can't work. You could not "Edit Original", because a Raw file cannot open directly inside PS, nor can PS save changes to it. For the same reason, "Edit a Copy" is not available either.

Once such a PS Edit returns to LR, a new version is made there which derives from a newly imported PSD / TIFF, and not directly from an imported Raw. As with a camera JPG, or a TIFF / PSD / JPG created in some other way: there you should see the dialog offering the three choices.

That's if you've used the menu item "Edit in PS" rather than the shortcut Ctrl+E / Cmd+E: which defaults to "Edit Original" without asking.

Unless it's a Raw based image, in which case it defaults to "Edit a Copy with LR Adjustments", without asking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to correct what I said in my original post. I said:

"instead of the dialogue box where I can select 'edit a copy with lightroom adjustments', it simply send the untouched original photo to lightroom without any dialogue whatsoever"

I meant to say it sends the untouched image (meaning none of my LR edits) into photoshop. It opens the raw file, unedited. 

It makes sense that "Edit a Copy with LR adjustments" would be the only option, but what I want to know/fix is why won't the LR adjusted image open properly in photoshop? I've been doing it this way for over a decade and I can't wrap my mind around it suddenly stopping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(I had presumed that you meant, into PS.)

Breaking this down -  when you say, "it opens the raw file, unedited" - do you mean, the image is opened into Adobe Camera Raw - or do you mean, an image is opened into Photoshop itself, but when you look at the document window title, this states the name of a Raw file?

If the latter, this is the expected appearance when your conversion (it has to be a conversion, if you are inside PS) has not yet ever been saved to a file. So there is no file name that PS can as yet show, except the name of the source Raw file from which it derives. The moment you hit "Save" or do "Save As", that changes.

Next, when you say that LR adjustments are not evident in PS - there is a common scenario where this happens, but that is when an already converted image goes back to PS again. That is by default an "Edit Original" operation and this means, you are editing the bitmap file that UNDERLIES your current LR adjustments - which are not part of the file, but are only present within the Catalog - hence PS does not know about those current live parametric LR adjustments, and does not display them.

I don't know of a route by which an image that is Raw based, with adjustments, can be sent from LR into PS direct, without those adjustments being applied. Either LR and PS (ACR) are fully compatible, and an as yet unsaved conversion is built by ACR and opened by PS in memory alone; or they are fully not, and LR renders and saves to disk a bitmap file straight away, and tells PS to open that for editing; or LR and PS (ACR) are occasionally borderline compatible.

In that last case, a warning dialog lets you choose between Render in LR (as if fully NOT compatible), and Open Anyway (disregarding slight incompatibility) - with the latter, potentially failing to apply all your LR edits where a slightly older ACR version present, fails to understand the novel ones that have been used in LR.

I'll just mention here, that some LR dialogs include an "always do this" checkbox which prevents that dialog from appearing again, next time the same issue arises. This state can be Reset across all warning dialogs, using a button in LR Preferences / General tab / Prompts section. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read : https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/lightroom-edits-not-appearing-when-using-edit-in-ph...

In the above link, an issue can occur if the Camera RAW in LR is newer than the ACR used by PS , AND you have a ACR mitchmatch warning dialog turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, it's frustrating. And the link that davidg36166309 replied with applies to older versions of LR and PS -I can't find this ACR info with those instructions. This literally just started happening today, just after I updated LR and PS. I can see how richardplondon is trying to offer a helpful reply, though I find this to be a bit confusing and not to the point as it can be.

Prior to the most recent updates LR CC displayed the options to "Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments", etc. when we select "Edit In" : "Edit In Adobe Photoshop CC 2019". Now, after the update, this is no longer displayed AND when the image shows up in PS CC 2019 to be edited the LR CC adjustments that have been applied have been left behind and here we are with the original unadjusted file, which is not what we want. So, it appears that that option to "Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments" has somehow been turned off (where??) or there is a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The flow diagram at  https://www.lightroomqueen.com/whats-the-difference-between-render-using-lightroom-and-open-anyway-i...  may explain better.

Follow the flow in the "Raw Files" diagram and the [Matching ACR Version] box.

What confuses many is that we think of the "Original" as the (raw) out-of-camera file, but when you have created a PSD,TIF,JPG, derivative file and you 'open' this in Ps from Lr, this derivative (pixel) file becomes the "Original". Hence the difference in the dialog options we see.

Your statement- "adjustments that have been applied have been left behind" has never been seen by me when selecting a raw file (with Lr develops) to Edit-in Ps. My Lr edits always show in Ps.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding, WobertC!

I am sending RAW dng. files from LR to PS for editing. The problem still exists though (since this recent update), my LR adjustments on my files are not brought over into PS. *And this is REALLY odd -I just tried sending several other RAW files from LR to PS and this is happening only to those files I converted to black & white in LR. They appear in PS as if I have done no adjustments to the file (as the RAW file imported straight from the SD card)! I'm going to back up and restart my computer once again and see if it helps anything.

However, prior to this recent update I did have a mismatched ACR, I suppose because I did get that message and clicked "open anyway". Prior to the update I was also getting the dialogue box "Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments", etc. whether I sent a TIFF or RAW file. Now it seems to only do it, like you mentioned, for all except for RAW files.

Still can't figure out where to locate the ACR versions in PS, LR, and Camera Raw...The menus seem like they've changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not at a computer, so this from memory.

in the menu, select help, select about (in each)

ACR and Camera RAW should be listed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help. It was  Menu > Help > System Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you found an answer.

It is beneficial to always look closely at applications/programs installed.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can't figure out where to locate the ACR versions

In Lightroom-  Menu > Help > System Info...  About line 18 in the report.    I see- 11.2.1 [ 159 ]  

In Photoshop-  Menu > Help > About Plugins > Camera Raw....    I see- 11.2.1.159.

And are you updating all Adobe software from the CC-Desktop App?  This is highly advised.

Just days ago I helped a friend who started Lightroom either from a Taskbar icon or a Catalog Shortcut icon. The taskbar icon was loading Lr v2015.6  and the Shortcut was loading Lr-Classic v8.2.  So it may be helpful to check if you are somehow opening 'old' versions of Lightroom thinking it is the "latest".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!! Kicking myself right now because I had an older LR in my dock -SMH. Must've mixed them up when I updated my macbook in Fall. Funny how mismatched versions can cause such selective issues.

I do use the CC-Desktop App for my Adobe updates and did just see that the ACR version for LR was older, thanks to your instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to add to the discussion even though it is a little old. 

I update and run pretty much everything from the creative cloud. Since I have the subscription why not right?? 

I was experiencing this same issue except it seemed like some of my LR edits were preserved but not everything. I realised that it wasn't keeping the profile. If I take one of LR's regular profiles such as adobe color, vivid etc then the exact rending is preserved when "edit in PS" is selected. If I happned to have used one of the colour fidelity profiles or any other third party profile (or one I have made myself) then it seems to be lost upon import into photoshop. This is a major issue/annoyance since it means that I either can't use 3rd party profiles or I would have to greatly expand my work flow by first exporting the images to JPEG or TIFF, import those into photoshop, edit and save them and then pull them into LR and group them per matching image. As you can see this would be a pain as a work around. Quite a bit of work to simply add a water mark to a batch of images in PS if you ask me. 

Now... what I expect LR --> PS to do is to pretty much do a TIFF or JPEG export, hold that in memory, pull that into PS and once done editing there save and automatically pull it into LR. Instead it seems like adobe is doing is taking the RAW and editing it based on the LR settings when it imports that into PS. I would be fine with that but then how do I add the profiles in PS so that it can properly interpret it??

I had this sort of issue going from LRC to LR. The solution there was to install the profiles in LR as well. BUT!!! Then if you open those images in the browser you run into the issue that the browser software of course don't have those profiles. And this leads to issues when opening up the images in LR mobile. Though you can install the profiles on LR mobile, the previews seem to be generated from the LR browser software, since you will need to open the images one at a time to regenerate the proper profiles. 

Anyway. My point is... is there a way to install image profiles in PS so that it can proper apply them when importing RAWs and their corresponding LR edits when going from LrC to Ps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: Seems like if I have PS import a RAW file using camera raw, I can apply third party profiles that I have installed in LrC. So apparently it just don't do so when you select to go from LrC to PS. Its a real shame, and to me this is obviously a bug or just not taken into account. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oooo... 

Seems like you need to basically import a raw file to PS using Camera Raw once to kind of activate this. 

Once that is done, now selecting Edit in PS from LR actually maintains the 3rd part profile applications intact. 

Guess I solved the issue myself. But it might be good for others to know. 

The LrC to mobile brower to Lr Mobile however does still seem to be an issue if you like an across devices work flow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will have struck the 'Bug' introduced in v10!

See here for info in the 'Feedback' forum-

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-editing-cr3-files-i...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be a problem with camera raw 13 whatever. I tried (with partial success) to downgrade back to 12.4. This probably needs a new topic, but I'm too frustrated to deal with that right now while I try to rescue my workflow.

I'm really getting tired of these "upgrades" that break things that have been working for months without warning or workarounds! CEP plug-ins now have major sizing problems. Profile LUTs with embedded camera profiles no longer make it from LRC to PS. Font sizing for high res monitors seems to change (not for the better) with each new version, etc.

Improvements and changes to the interface are facts of life, but QUIT BREAKING MY WORKFLOW WITHOUT WARNING or at least give me a workaround!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've been having the same problem and I *think* I've found a workaround for now:

(I don't remember this happening before using the updated Color Fidelity profiles, though that doesn't mean that they are/are not the cause)

From Lightroom > Open image as smart object in Photoshop > Double click the thumbnail in Photoshop to openin ACR > change the profile to something else and then back to the one you wanted > take the image back into Photoshop

Now your lightroom adjustments should be there..

Maybe there's a better way around this, but it's working for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The original Topic Title is 

Edit a copy with Lightroom Adjustments" no longer appearing.

Your reply has nothing to do with that topic title and this thread originated in early 2019. It is now 2021.

I suggest you start your own conversation on whatever subject you are having a problem with.

The Bottom line is you never get any options when opening a RAW file in Ps from LrC. Unlesss for some reason the version of ACR in each program does not match. That is extremely rare these days with the subscription system.

You only get that option dialog box when you are sending a JPG, TIF or PSD file from LrC to Ps.

I am also locking this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines