Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

R5 RAW pictures turn out a lot brighter in Lightroom Classic 10

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I just updated my lightroom classic to version 10 and all my pictures transformed a lot brighter after opening them in the 'develop module'. First it looks like it is loading the preview in cache (normal exposure in lightroom 9). After that a new preview is made which appears a lot brighter (too bright in my eyes). Also the histogram is chaning. 
I also tried exporting a picture with exactly the same settings, the one exported with lighthroom 10 comes out a lot brighter / overexposed compared to the one exported in version 9.x.

After some research it seems that this is only happening with the photos coming from my R5. But it affects (in a bad way) all my edits I have done in the past weeks. The photo's from my 5d IV and 5d III are not changing. 

Can someone explain how this could happen and if there maybe is a solution. Thanks a lot in advance!

_92A2328.jpg15102020_Smeetskring_JulesvanIperen_004.JPGSchermafbeelding 2020-10-20 om 17.42.39.pngSchermafbeelding 2020-10-20 om 17.42.42.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the 'before' / 'after' is both after in my first post, so here a before after in the develop module Schermafbeelding 2020-10-20 om 18.09.10.pngSchermafbeelding 2020-10-20 om 18.09.07 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same thing. New imports don't behave this way but existing images in the catalog do. I also note that when I switch to a different image the previous one gets darker again. It's almost like the code is detecting an R5 image and making it brighter but only whilst it's selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep I'm seeing the same thing.  It seems that 9.4 had an issue where it would read the R5 files as a stop darker than they should be.  When editing, we would compensate by increasing exposure.  Now with version 10 it appears that they have corrected that issue when reading the R5 files.  The problem with the way it was corrected is that all our previous edits are being "corrected" with the increased exposure.

I'm rolling back to 9.4 for now until they have a fix.  I don't want to have to go back and re-edit all my previous files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just spoken with support and they are investigating. The last bug I reported took 3 years to be fixed so no breath is being held...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue too, and it's a real pain! When I first pull up an image, it looks too dark now, and will stay that way unless I zoom into 100% (and wait), then it kicks up to super-bright! But then if I paste something, or go into Soft-Proofing, the dark image will show up again and I have to zoom in again (and wait!) to see the (presumably) correct brighter exposure. It's quite terrible!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up purging the cache, which got rid of the misleadingly dark images when zoomed out, and bright images when zoomed in. LR is running extremely slow now, probably rebuilding the previews. There's still the issue of my past edits being overexposed now though, and what will they do about it? If I fix some of the photos, then they try to fix it by making another global change, then they're broken all over again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearing the cache and then deleting the previews folder fixed the issue for me. The old edits will stay brighter, that is, unfortunately, the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your workarround does not work for me. If I claer the cache and delete the preview file and render all 1:1 Previews new, you need to go into the develop module to 100% and if you go to the next picture and back, it is the same. It is dark and you need to zoom in to get it normal bright again. This is so annoying...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you specify exactly the steps you took to clear the cache and delete the previews? I want to check it was exactly the same method I used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I did was go into Preferences/Performance, and click Purge Cache under the section section (Camera Raw Cache Settings). It took some long minutes for it to complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem too - I've used the above approach - Purge the cache and let Lightroom rebuild the previews - a very long process with 160k images!! Looks like a long, slow process before things are back to "normal".

The solution seems to work, though it's hard to be 100% sure as the rebulding process slows everything down to a crawl anyway.

I did initially roll back to 9.4 but if all my previous edits have to be redone anyway it seems sooner rather than later was the best idea. I suppose I could always use the metadata filter to pick out R5 images and apply a global change to them all - not an ideal solution I agree, but thought I'd throw that in.

Early adopting of both camera and software strikes again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this only fixes the issue that happens in v10, but when you re-import the xmp you saved and cr3 from v10,  to v9.4,  the image will become darker in V9.4,

If you have 2 macs that have different versions of LR, when you reimport the cr3 and XMP to the two macs, they will have different brightness.

R5 CR3 in V10 is much brighter in V9.4 with the same setting. There is a but in v10 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

quote:

Your workarround does not work for me. If I claer the cache and delete the preview file and render all 1:1 Previews new, you need to go into the develop module to 100% and if you go to the next picture and back, it is the same. It is dark and you need to zoom in to get it normal bright again. This is so annoying...

this is another bug in V10

I found that if I turn off the Preference-Performance

UNCHECK "use smart previews instead of original for image editing" will fix the issue

which means everything it will load the full raw files

the bug happens when using HDD, if using SSD sometimes will not show this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAME ISSUE HERE, I edited with v10 then exported to the client, they turn back and said too bright, then I look at the exported file, WT....

I have downgraded it to 9.4 for now.

When importing the same XMP and CR3, in LRC v10 is much brighter than LRC v9.4, but R6 files do no have this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please upload the raw and XMP file with your settings that exhibits the issue to a file sharing site and I'll take a look at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the link. thanks a lot https://bit.ly/37ovfPa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know if you are using a Preset, or not.

Being curious I have looked at your linked image, and note one item-

In the HSL panel there is an increase in Luminance sliders of red/orange/yellow that contributes considerably to the 'lightness' especially skin tones.

ScreenShot249.jpg

Even a zero reset of these sliders makes a positive difference to your image!

@Todd Shaner will have a good answer I am sure. 🙂

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I downloaded the folder with the file and xmp sidecar. Imported into LrC and then exported a jpeg with the selection to add to the Catalog. So the exported jpeg sits alongside the raw file and did a comparison in the Library module and the image looks the same in the screen capture. The view in Library and Develop module also match.

Not sure if you have your monitor manually profiled and calibrated, nor the applications you are viewing the original and exported in. Todd will certainly have his opinion.

Screenshot 2020-12-16 at 7.52.46 PM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm the difference you are seeing in exposure between LrC 9.4 and 10.1.

Embeded Preview vs LrC 9.4 Develop settings                 Embeded Preview vs LrC 10.1 Develop settings

Party_1084_Vispenn.CR3_LrC 9.4 vs 10.1 Compare.jpg

This was apparently due to a problem with the initial camera profiles for the Canon EOS R5 CR3 files that caused about a -2/3 Exposure error. When viewing files in LrC 10.1 that were edited in LrC 9.4 they will appeaer +2/3 over exposed. See the solution offered by Adobe Staff Rikk Flohr at the below report.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/camera-raw-and-dng/camera-raw-canon-r5-raw-images-are-u...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines