• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Set Filename to title on multiple images

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, sorry for a newbie question, but the lack of support of Aperture for Catalina has finally moved me over to Lightroom Classic and Lightroom set up.  I have the latest versions.  

One thing which keeps bugging me (and I seem not to be able to find a solution, so need some of your experts help:  I post pictures onto Flickr - after switching, they all don't have titles anymore.  Is there any plug in or any workaround to set the filename to title as a batch change? Do I have to do this with Adobe Bridge? 

Thanks for your help - I won't be able to find pictures from Flickr without that 😉

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Have you tried renaming the photos in Lightroom as shwon in below screenshot?

Alternatelively, you could have a look at Jeffrey Freidl's Flickr plugin at http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/flickr His p;igins tend to provide a much larger list of export options than Adobe's

rename-with-title-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried renaming the photos in Lightroom as shwon in below screenshot?

Alternatelively, you could have a look at Jeffrey Freidl's Flickr plugin at http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/flickr His p;igins tend to provide a much larger list of export options than Adobe's

rename-with-title-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - this is something worth trying - do you do that on import or export?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are as many renaming conventions as there are folk using Lightroom. Some go for simplicity while others for highly descriptive filenames. Personally, I don't see the point of renaming photos during import if I'm going to cull a bunch of them them. Therefore, other than adding basic copyright info I don't do anything during import. I rename my photos after I've completed the culling process and appended any additional metadata to each photo. Photos will have the suffix 'Edited' appended during the export process to differniate them from the masters.

This video from Julieanne Kost might be useful to you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsDJJ0A84sg 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again - I tried Jeffrey's Plug-in's and found the one I need Write- to in his Bag of Goodies.  Thats' all I needed, and saves me so much time, I made a small donation, too.  Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar issue and I don't think I understand the answers here...

Windows 10, current Lightroom classic.

I would like to take the current file Name and put it in the title.  I thought that was what the original post was asking for.  You show a "Filename Template Editor", and in th eexample it looks like it's taking the title and using it for the file name - the opposite of what I'm after.  Am I incorrect in my understanding of the question and/or the answer?

If so, IS there a way to take a group of images in Lightroom, and copy the file name to the Title field?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

there is this plugin you may want to consider:
https://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/jbeardsworth/findreplace/

If you install the trial, you should be able to once batch rename your Titles in LR with whatever you like from the other fields.

After that, you can only batch rename 10 Titles with the free version.

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

just found out, there is another plugin, that will do the job, and it's free:
http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/bag-o-goodies

Inside this Plugin there is the feature "Write Data Field...". After installation of the plugin to LR, you find this feature under File/ Plug-In Extras/ jb Bag-o-Goodies/ Write Data Field...

In here you can just do the same like with the other Plugin mentioned above.

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This tool "bag o goodies" saved me an incredible amount of time in editing. Thank you for sharing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can tell, Write Data Field simply writes a user-typed block of text into the Title field of all selected images. I don't see any way to designate the filename as the source for the title. I'm looking to copy the filename of each image file into its Title field. Am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Jacques,

check the first screenshot.

In your case:

1. Select all pictures where you want to add or change meta data.
  2. Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 07.48.55.png
  3. Of course, "Field to fill" has to be "Title".
  4. "Fill with" can be any text (as you mentioned), but it can as well process tokens, i.e. placeholders to retrieve other meta data from each individual image meta data. In the screenshot I use the {FILENAME} token, which writes the respective file name with extension into the title fields of every selected image. Next to it on the right, you can see I saved this as a preset called "Fill Title with Filename and Suffix"
  5. There are tokens basically for every kind of meta data. To get an overview of all available meta data tokens, click on the button "Token examples" right next to the preset dropdown – second screenshot.
    The examples as well show what data would be pulled from, which is very handy.
  6. Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 07.57.50.png
  7. Back in the main dialog, you may choose to blindly overwrite the field, or to do so only if empty.
  8. Lastly, check again if the example given below the "Fill with" field is exactly what you want to have. (Even so in most cases you could correct it with another "Write Data Field" process afterwards, if wrong.)
  9. and click ok.

Hope that helps,

Ronen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any plug in or any workaround to set the filename to title as a batch change? Do I have to do this with Adobe Bridge? 

See http://lightroomsolutions.com/plug-ins/search-and-replace/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear John, check my reply to @JacquesCornell above for detailed instructions on how to do that.
You don't need Adobe Bridge. There is a free plugin with many features, and the "Write Data Field" features is what you are looking for.
http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/bag-o-goodies

Hope that helps!
Ronen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines