• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Custom paper sizes in the Book Module

Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will we have European (or custom) paper sizes in the BOOK Module?  I am fully aware that Blurb only supports US paper sizes but there are many non-US printing services which will print a book from jpg or pdf files.  You should be able to support sizes other than those used by Blurb. The recent improvements in LR 7.5 were great but I think will only be usable by American users.  Come on Adobe you have MANY users who do not use US paper sizes!!!!!

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
41 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2015 Nov 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have been looking through forums for months and have not found a solution to my question.

I am a wedding photographer and need to design book layouts, the major problem I have in Lightroom is that I cannot design books to the specific sizes my printer needs, instead am given the option of books only available on Blurb.

How can I set my own customised size So I can layout my books in Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No help, as all people are stating the same as me. same question no answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Khalid Moon,

• You can create different Presets for your Book, but i believe that is not what you need.
  • What exactly do you mean by Book size, are you are talking about something like this InDesign Help | Creating book files
  • You can use the cells padding to edit existing ones and then save the result for reuse, but you can't start from scratch.
  • A "work-around" method for custom pages might be to create your page in the "Print" module as a Custom Package (eg 12x12inch collage of your design or you book size), then Print this to a JPG FILE. (not a printer). Now insert your "Custom" jpg as a full page image in the Book module process.If you save your custom prints they can be used repeatedly as a template to insert any images of your choice.The only downside to this method is that you create extra JPG files, but the upside is that you can create any custom collage of images possible.

Check this link for more details - BOOK Create custom page layouts? - Lightroom Forums

Regards

Rohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2015 Nov 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot design books to the specific sizes my printer needs,

Not possible in Lightroom!!

Try other software from a book/album printer.

Lightroom only uses page sizes as provided by Blurb ( as in the Book module- Book Settings Panel)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK who else on this planet has tried to create a book in the Book Module and been frustrated by the restrictions imposed?  Lots of you?  I thought so.

So why are the developers not listening to the howls of "Can we have Custom Book sizes and Custom layouts"?  That's a good question and it's been a request for the last FIVE years.

Why?  Is it to do with the fact that Blurb were instrumental in the development of the Book Module and is there an exclusivity agreement between Blurb and Adobe to the extent that it limits any other Book format or size until that exclusivity agreement expires?

I rather hope that is not the case and it's just Adobe not getting around to allocating resources to implement a Custom book size and allow freedom to place images and text on the page as the user prefers.

It's disappointing that requests for custom book sizing and custom layouts have been requested from the get go yet no action is taking place on the part of the developers to address this serious shortcoming.

I can't put my hand on my heart and recommend Lightroom for people who want to create books with the Book Module in its current restrictive status.

This product could be so much better if Custom book sizes and layouts were available.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can see:

A method to create completely customized photo book page templates from scratch in Lightroom 5

Re: A method to create completely customized photo book page templates from scratch in Lightroom 5

I have applied this method to create my own templates using page sizes different from the standard pages included in Lightroom.

The procedure is not user friendly, but it is possible to make it work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now with 7.5 and ability to make custom layouts, the book module has gotten more attractive. But the critical feature of custom book sizes for own or non-Blurb printing is still missing. Please add custom book size to LR, please... I would just love to be able to do own fineart printing on quality paper for page sizes that fit the many options for own binding. Please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree. Please, please, please make an option for custom page sizes in the book module. It makes so much sense, especially with the new custom layout options in the recent release. I'd like to print my own book pages, and would love to use the book layout options from with Lightroom.

If you really want to step it up - support putting multiple book pages on bigger sheets, so I can print book pages on big double sided sheets, and when cut out, the pages will be in right order and orientation. A common prepress need, but relevant for own book page printing as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Terry, @Hnrik -- we will discuss these requests internally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad to hear it will be brought up for discussion. Custom book module page sizes has been a wish for years, and would be great if implemented. And as mentioned, you could even support imposition printing when printing multiple smaller page sizes on big sheets for later cutting - so the right images match each other on front and back side, including orientation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s really good to hear that you’re discussing this subject and I hope that you will agree that there is an international need for this capability. I look forward to seeing a positive outcome and an implementation in due course. Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2019 Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been 6 months since I posted this and we are still waiting to hear if and when you might give us the ability to use non-US paper sizes in the book module.  With the recent changes you have made the book module it is becoming a very useful tool but when the only option is to use US paper sizes it remains unusable for us Europeans.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Mar 05, 2019 Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we should not dream as long as only Blurb will be their interlocutor, it offers no standardized format A, even on their European sites, it has in the baba ...
But why no major European producer does not contact Adobe to participate in the universalization of this module Book, beware, it takes a publisher working in all European countries .... Because of delivery charges and VAT that are true wounds of international deliveries!

Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2020 Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fully agree! This would be a great addition to LR. I would also like to be able to design my own custom albums with custom sizes. Ideally even print them from LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find a way to do it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I want the Lightroom book module to allow for custom-sized books

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the forum for feature requests.  Adobe doesn't monitor this forum for feature requests.

Please post your request in the appropriate  feature request forum

https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

who else on this planet has tried to create a book in the Book Module and been frustrated by the restrictions imposed?

Not me! (having made only ~15 books in Lr)  But your thoughts are legitimate. And I do agree- Lots of us would appreciate improvements to the Book Module.

So why are the developers not listening to the howls of "Can we have Custom Book sizes and Custom layouts"?

Possibly (IMO) because they (Adobe) believe that Adobe InDesign should be the 'goto' software for Book creation. Lightroom's primary purpose for existence is Image management (DAM) and a raw renderer for image files.

"Custom Layouts" has been addressed with updates to some extent,  BOOK UPDATES in v7.5  but still not allowing 'fancy' features like- image rotation, borders, better text, etc.

The JPEG 'size' option in the Book module has a couple extra page sizes- and if you consider all sizes as 'Ratios' then Export book as JPG might produce 'page' images with a ratio that suits your desires for use in other software.

You could also post at Photoshop Lightroom Family  where Adobe may see your requests, or add your vote to other posts-

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/european-paper-sizes-in-the-book-module

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any workaround on this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My thoughts are-

Choose a Book Page size that is as close as possible to your desired Page RATIO (eg. 11x13 might suit A4), Export the Book to JPEG, then trim the JPG files to your exact page requirements.

(For Blurb printing from Lr- no work-arounds!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi! 
are you saying that i can't make a pdf book of any custom size? ...just on the 8 options available ? .... in 2020 .... on lightroom ? .... is this normal? ....whaaaat ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sympathize, I am saying only what I know as another user of Lr-Classic! We are not Adobe here in this 'Community' forum.

"... is this normal?"  Well that is just how it is. Lr-Classic has the primary purposes of Library Data management and raw interpreter/editor. I believe the Book module was added in v4 to promote sales. Adobe would probably like you to use Adobe In Design if you are a 'serious' book creator.

You will get Adobe people seeing your post at the "feedback" forum- For example:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/european-paper-sizes-in-the-book-module

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ahhhh .... ok! ....so many forums and so many community suport "things".... that ...mistakes are made !:) thanks for the info!
meanwhile .... "added in v4 to promote sales" ... thats considered a bad move i think! ...and the "overlap" of "functionality" on 9 thousand apps and webservices and others ..... is just a big mess (in my opinion)! one cliente ...one product its not a thing ...just saying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...years later ..... still... nothing done! this is frustrating....

"....2020 goes by and i cant make a custom sized pdf book on lightroom? ...what is the book module for? is it just to keep blurb expensive and old as #%& printing services alive?

....and for this reason all of the book module is basically worthing ZERO (to me)!?
i will have to forget all about virtual copies and albuns and export everything to use another software ? all because i cant configure a 30 by 40 pdf page (on lightroom)?????
will these be possible this week ? i need to make a 30 by 40 (cm :)) book (pdf)!
come on ..... please !"

Votes

Translate

Translate