• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Support for seeing long file names and titles

Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently in the latest version of Lightroom Classic (and all earlier versions) the fields for seeing and editing the File Name and Title are hard fixed at one line of around 30 characters. This is crazy with modern operating systems that allow for loooonnnggg file names, and for people who use long Titles. Can Adobe please allow for the entry fields to be bigger or auto adjustable in size. By comparison, the fixed Keyword Tags displayed content is massive, and the Caption field auto resizes to suit content - which is precisely what File Name and Title should do as well.  Thank you.  If no Adobe person will ever see this, where do I submit corrections for bad interface design?

Not everyone has fond memories of ye olde 8.3    XXXXXXXX.XXX   fixed file name sizes...

Screen Shot.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both the File-name and Title fields DO auto-resize to accomdate entries greater than a single line (and have done in previous versions as well). Here's a screenshot from my Windows10 system:

Long File Names.PNG

And here's a screenshot from LrC taken on my Mac:

Screenshot_09_02_2021__10_14.png

The reason I say "almost works as expected" on my Mac is that there seems to be a display bug which causes the last line of a multi-line entry to be hidden, but only after entering the text and then moving to another image. On return to the image the truncation occurs, as in this screenshot:

Screenshot_09_02_2021__10_15.png

That truncation doesn't happen on my Win10 system, so I guess it's a Mac-only bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming that there IS a bug in the Mac version.  It must be some code that accidentally got mangled or commented out in an update a while back.  I wish they would ask me to Beta Test.  I find these sorts of bugs all the time in just about all the software I use...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jim Wilde 

It works that way on my Mac too Jim.  I only shows 2 lines when returning to the photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the confirmation, Bob. I also realised that the same issue exists with the Caption field (so likely with all fields that allow multi-line input). I've put in a bug report, though I would have thought one already exists somewhere in the database.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's the bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum, where Adobe wants all product feedback:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-truncated-fields-an... 

Problems have been reported for at least the last three years, and they're still occurring in LR 10.1.1 on both Windows and Mac. Please add details of your issue to the bug report, and be sure to click Like and Follow at the bottom of the first post. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will prioritize a fix, and you'll be notified when the bug's status changes.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines