• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sync with Lightroom CC is really slow. Does Adobe throttle the downloads?

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2018 Nov 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before anyone asks, I have a 1Gbps fibre connection at home and there's nothing that's hogging the bandwidth at the time I left Lightroom Classic to sync the Lightroom CC photos. I've also been monitoring the network download speeds and it seems that it's just constantly at 50-100KB/s. Which would take "forever" to sync up just a single album of 380 photos (4GB in total).

4GB files can be downloaded in about 3-4 mins tops sometimes at 20-30MB/s on my Internet connection... so waiting for almost 3 hours to see only 154 photos synced is really painful. Is anyone else also facing this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Internet speeds can only go as fast as the Slowest part of the path from server to computer.

No matter how fast your home connection is and no matter how fast Adobe's connection speed is if there is a bottleneck someplace then that is the fastest you can upload or download.

You are syncing with the WEB system and not directly to LR CC, Whatever version, Desktop or Mobile

So what exact version are you writing about when you say LR CC, Mobile or Desktop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a 1 Gbps connection and it is symmetric, you should be able to get 100 MB/s downloads consistently but you might never see it as most raw files are smaller than 100 MB and most download measuring tools have a time constant of 1 second or higher. You should see it when downloading big psd or tif files or video. I can easily saturate my home 200Mbps connection with Lightroom CC downloading at 20 MB/s for such big files which is really the max it can do and at work (fibre connection) I get more than that.

One detail: are you talking about uploading images or downloading? Most connections, including most fibre ones, are very asymmetric and have upload speeds an order of magnitude smaller than download. So if you are talking about syncing images up to the cloud, you might be running into the limit of your connection even with gigabit fibre. My home internet, while 200 Mbit/s download is only 6 Mbit/s upload, which is the very max I can get where I live without paying for a new fibre line to be installed (indeed a very costly proposition)

If you are talking about download from the cloud or upload with a symmetric fibre connection, Adobe does not seem to throttle their connection as far as I can tell so my guess is that something else is not right with your connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bump. Interesting, more than 2 years later I have much the same problem. My LrC library had got pretty messed up, so I thought as an experiment I would download a new catalog from scratch from the cloud. It was also a way of testing how the backup worked. In have 60k photos taking about 250GB. My hard drive has more than 1GB free and I have a download speed in excess of 200 MBps.

The sync was going on for a week and then stuck at 1449 to download for over a day, I did a "rebuild sync data" and it got back to syncing about 1,200 pretty quicly, but now is again moving at about 1 photo an hour.

Anybody any ideas, or find out any more about this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines