Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Very Slow Spot Removal Tool in LR5?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2013 Jun 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Has anyone else noticed the SPot Removal tool being very slow in LR5?  I don't even mean when painting a selection.  Just moving the mouse around the screen is sluggish and jittery for my on my Win7 system.

Thanks for any suggestions,

~Steve

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. And the tool is very jerky in moving across the screen.

It seems to be intermittent, but I am now having massive problems, especially when I am trying to paint a curve. If I draw a long curve, I only see the white at the start of the curve, then the tool just joins the two end points in a straight line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now found why the problem seems to be intermittent. The healing tool works fine on a file where Profile Corrections are NOT enabled.

I had one file where I had the check mark against Enable Profile Corrections in Lens Corrections, and the healing tool was useless. As soon as I unchecked it, or if I temporarliy disabled it using the on/off switch, then the tool worked perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm the behavior on my Win 7 system with 1:1 and smart previews rendered.

With profile corrections enabled the healing brush is almost unusable.

With the lens profile corrections disabled the healing brush responds not perfect but clearly better.

- Roy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys.  Even at fit-screen size (not 1:1), this is pretty bad for me with Profile Corrections enabled (and I have a very beefy computer).  I hadn't thought to disable the Profile functionality, but I don't consider it an acceptable trade-off anyway.

Is this the kind of thing that can get fixed in an update?

Thanks again,

~Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to trade off - just disable the profile, make the healing adjustments, then re-enable.

I agree that it should be fixed, though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, the tool became intermittently jerky while moving across the screen after an hour and a half of work or two. Restarting LR and it is better, then after and hour and a half, jerky again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 12, 2013 Jun 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. It is known that lens correction will slow down the spot healing. The reason is that spot healing processing step happens very early in the camera raw processing pipeline. Rendering changes necessitated by the spot display updates need to cascade all the way from the beginning of the pipeline to the end. Thus it is a more expensive operation. From the workflow point of view, it is preferable to perform spot healing early in your workflow. If you start noticing slow down while doing spot healing, you can temporarily turn off sections of processing to get it back to speed.

When the slowdown happens, do you typically have a large number of existing spots or some large brush spots?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Simon,

I don't see this slowdown happening in version 4.4.  That's why it concerned me with v5.  On the images with which I've worked so far, the issue happens on images that do not have a lot of spots - just a couple things I want to get rid of.  But the slowdown occurs as soon as I access the tool, before I've even used it once.  Just moving the curser accross the screen is slow.

Some people posted other observations on this thread at around post number 25.  Apparently it's not happening to everyone.

Setting the Lens Correction is part of my import preset and something that, in the past, I just set and don't think about.  I'd really hate to have to turn it off every time I want to use the Spot Removal tool and then remember to turn it back on.

Thanks again,

~Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You also mentioned elsewhere that LR5 is particularly slow for you in general. We need to figure out why. Are you on Windows or Mac? What is your system info? Does your computer drive a large monitor/dual monitors? Does the slowness happen on some particular image adjustments?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember the performance of the healing brush /spot removal tool in LR5 Beta being much better, or am I wrong ??

I'm running a W7-64 system, I3770, 16GB, SSD for the LR app, catalog and previews, single 21" display

-Roy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Windows 7 (64 bit) with an i7-3930k processor (12 cores at 3.2GHz), 64 GB RAM, an SSD boot and app drive, a separate SSD scratch drive for Adobe stuff, and 2 GeForce GTX 580 GPU's (3 GB video RAM each).  WIth this setup, I wouldn't say that LR4 ran perfectly, but it was a lot better than LR5 is running for me.

I haven't gotten out of the Develop module with LR5 yet, so I can't say anything about printing or exporting, but most of the adjustment sliders are stickier than in LR4.  It takes a few seconds for any adjustments to be seen on the image after moving the slider.  This was most noticeable for me with the local Adjustment Brush.  Painting the mask work fine, but after that any adjustments take 3-4 seconds to appear on-screen.  The adjustments like Sharpening and Noise Reduction under the Detail panel take a few seconds to appear.  I know I'm asking for help here, but please understand that I don't have time to check every slider and function within the application.  It's very obvious to me that LR5 runs much slower than LR4.4 on the same computer.

Here's my System Info from Lightroom if you're interested:

Lightroom version: 5.0 [907681]

Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate Edition

Version: 6.1 [7601]

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 12

Processor speed: 3.2 GHz

Built-in memory: 65477.5 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 65477.5 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 1327.1 MB (2.0%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 1298.9 MB

Memory cache size: 0.0 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 6

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 2560x1600

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5

Library Path: E:\Users\SATX79\Pictures\Lightroom\Lightroom 5 Catalog.lrcat

Settings Folder: C:\Users\SATX79\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1) Behance

2) Canon Tether Plugin

3) Export to Photomatix Pro

4) Facebook

5) Flickr

6) HDR Efex Pro 2

7) Leica Tether Plugin

8) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

Adapter #1: Vendor : 10de

Device : 1080

Subsystem : 15883842

Revision : a1

Video Memory : 3019

AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 1024

AudioDeviceName: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2

AudioDeviceSampleRate: 44100

Build: Uninitialized

CardID: 4224

Direct2DEnabled: false

GPUDevice: D3D

MaxTexture2DSize: 8192

OGLEnabled: true

Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

ShaderModel: 11.1

Vendor: Nvidia

VendorID: 4318

Version: 10de:1080:15883842:00a1

Also, when I looked this up, I checked the About dialog.  The credits pane doesn't scroll.  🙂

Thanks for your attention,

~Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do have a big display to drive and you have 64GB of RAM! Your machine should be able to up to it. And you have Export to Photomatix Pro and HDR Efex Pro 2 3rd party plug-ins installed. Try the following to see if it makes a difference in performance:

1. Temporarily disable the two 3rd party plug-ins using the Plug-Ins manager.

2. Create a new catalog and import some photos. Don't setup any new smart collections.

3. Set the zoom level to 1:4 or 1:8 depending on your original image size. How is the speed compares to the Fit view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2013 Jun 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Simon,

I love LR5, but unfortunately I have this spot removal slowness issue on my Macbook Pro Retina (4 cores 2.6 ghz, 16 Gb ram and 12MP picture) 😞

I test the same picture in Lightroom 4 and Lightroom 5.

The version 5 is definitely very slow slow 😞

Yes I have many spot but LR4.4 is perfectly usable with this amount of spots.

I use iStat Menus on Mac to track frame rate :

• Problematic picture with all adjustments, spot removal refresh is 4.5 fps
  • Problematic picture with all adjustments but removing Lens Correction, spot removal refresh is 23 fps
  • Problematic picture removing all adjustments, spot removal refresh is 23 fps

• New picture no adjustment, spot removal refresh is 60 fps
  • New picture no adjustment but add Lens Correction, spot removal refresh is 50 fps
  • New picture with many new spot removal, spot removal refresh is 44 fps

What I have try to isolate the issue without any improvement :

• Uninstall LR5 (because I installed it over the beta) and reinstall it
  • Rebooting
  • Use a a very small catalogue
  • Removing my preference
  • From a new clean user

Unfortunately, I'm thinking to back to LR4 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the experimentation and provide the data point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome Simon.

More data of this issue.

I try to do the same test on the same picture with Lightroom 4.4 :

• LR 4.4 : Same problematic picture with all adjustments, spot removal refresh is 32 fps
  • LR 4.4 : Same problematic picture with all adjustments but removing Lens Correction, spot removal refresh is 52 fps

So definitely Lens correction is add slowness to "spot removal " tools in LR 5.0 (lot of slowness) and LR 4.4 ((slowness).

Back to LR 5 test.

• New picture no adjustment, spot removal refresh is 60 fps (same as previous test)
  • New picture copy/past settings from previous problematic picture, spot removal refresh is 4.5 fps

So it's look like the issue come form my adjustment of me problematic picture.

Unfortunately I can't save a setting of this adjustment because spot removal aren't save in adjustment settings.

But Simon, I can create a very small catalogue with this problematic adjustment setting.

Feel free to contact me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2013 Jun 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simon,

Again, more data of this issue.

After copy/past only part of my problematic adjustments settings to a fresh picture. I isolate the adjustment causing the slowness issue on "spot removal" tools. The guilty adjustments are : Lens Correction and Adjustment Brush (only 8 but some large) !

On my problematic picture I try to see if moving the cursor is slow on other adjustments. No Ajutement Brush and Gradient Filter are affected by this issue.

Other observation, only moving the cursor over the picture with Ajutement Brush, Spot Removal and Gradient Filter use 100% of one of my cpu.

iStat Menu don't track any refresh on Adjustment Brush and Gradient Filter but track it for Spot Removal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2013 Jun 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I also have the problem.

LR4 and LR5 are installed on my PC.

When using LR4 the spot removal tool is smooth, even when Lens Correction is applied.

When Lens Correction is applied in LR5 any spot removal actions are so jerky it is unusable.

I have been applying Lens Correction during import but I will have to leave it to last now.

This is a pity because automation is one of LR strengths. I will have to go to manual mode.

The top 5 LR5 issues are listed at http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/

Is there a list of all the issues being investigated anywhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 30, 2013 Jul 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's another puzzling feature in this bug! If I try to make a spot removal adjustment in LR5 in an image which has a large adjustment brush and lens correction applied, the spot tool is unusable. However, if I then open the adjusted RAW file in Photoshop CC ACR, the spot removal tool is as smooth as I would ever want it! No lag, no jerkiness.

So, both programs use the same ACR version, but LR5 can't cope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2013 Aug 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Simon,

I just test with Lightroom 5.2 RC, this problem still present :-((((

I bouth Lightroom 5 almost 2 month ago, I'm still using Lightroom 4.4 due of this issue 😞

I think call Adobe for get my money back....

One of the unhappy customer 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 15, 2013 Jun 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simon,

Regarding your point that it is preferable to repair spots early in the process, I would agree to some extent. However, I note that in Terry White's broadcast http://tv.adobe.com/watch/creative-suite-podcast-photographers/how-to-do-a-complete-portrait-retouch... he performed the Lens Correction very early on, before spot fixing. He also performed a LOT of spot fixes. But he didn't seem to have the degradation in performance in the Spot Healing tool which we seem to have experienced.

What has he got that we haven't?

Addendum: I remember now that he was editing a smart preview. Does that make a difference to the process? I'm not going to start working with smart previews, but could this point to a fix for the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is spot removal feature so slow in comparison to LR4? If follow your explanation it means I had to do the same in LR4 to use spot removal but it worked really nice and smooth. I always calibrated lens/camera profile first and after did all the processing in LR4. What kind of changes Adobe developers did to spot removal and lens profile correction that it's so slow now. When LR5 came out I hoped for better experience, at least equal but not worse =(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep.. normaly i don´t use the spot removal in LR ... but it´s slow.

hell what a shitty release this V5 is..... JPG export bugs, import issues, the long list of "known bugs" adobe has not fixed.... now this. 

Known Issues

• Fullscreen Mode does not show the next image in your selection. This occurs only when you have selected a series of images before entering Fullscreen mode.
  • Video playback is not currently supported in Fullscreen mode.
  • There is no error message informing that offline photos and videos are not exported to slideshows.
  • The slide after a video clip is often not shown. This only occurs when using the Manual Slideshow feature.
  • Custom slideshow templates will default to 480×270 on export. This only impacts custom slideshow templates created in previous versions of Lightroom.
  • The slideshow appears as a black screen occasionally. This only occurs when a video file is chosen as the first slide.
  • Star ratings cannot be applied while previewing or viewing a Slideshow.
  • Deleting a book in the Book Module may occasionally cause another book to disappear.
  • XMP metadata changes are not automatically written to file when the original file is offline.
  • Canon cameras are not detected when using Tethered Capture in Windows 8. This only occurs on Windows 8.
  • Offline photos go missing from Lightroom when moving folder of images to a different volume.
  • GPS metadata on videos created on an Apple iPhone is not imported.
  • Basic metadata is not imported with video files. This only occurs when imported directly from the camera. As a workaround, please copy the files from camera to your harddrive and then import into Lightroom.
  • When utilizing the “Merge to HDR” feature with Photoshop, the resulting HDR image contains metadata from the last selected photo.
  • Photos adjusted using Process Version 2003 incorrectly display a “Post Crop Vignette: Paint Overlay” History step. Selecting a subsequent History State can reset existing settings that follow that state in the History panel. This reset cannot be undone, effectively deleting any settings that have been applied after the selected History State. This only occurs with images adjusted in PV2003.
  • Images exported at less than 1/3 of their original size may not retain Output Sharpening and Noise Reduction settings.

makes you wonder if they have any QE team at all....

of course all adobe guys will tell you the version works great. and these are only minor problems.

and with the next update we read "thanks to the user feedback and hard work of our coders we fixed over 200 bugs".

it´s a bad joke....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having unbearably slow spot removal issues with no prior adjustments at all. It's a JPEG from an 8MP smartphone for crying out loud.
My computer is not the culprit (i7-3930k, 16G RAM).
With task manager open, it doesn't even appear that my system resources are being taxed any more than usual, it just becomes jerky and incredibly slow.
Catalog is upgraded from LR4 with about 1200 photos existing, this specific photo was added after LR5 was installed. I imported and immediately went to spot removal, was jerky from the get-go.

I had already removed lightroom folder and let LR5 set defaults as some other threads were suggesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing the same extreme slowness in the spot removal tool and the new radial filter. However, if I choose "edit in Photoshop" I have no problem using those same tools on the tiff that returns to Lightroom; no slowness at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines