• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

VRAM Memory Leak Still Not Fixed

Mentor ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been months now and this issue is still causing so many problems. 

Within minutes of opening Lr Classic and doing anything (grid, Develop, etc), all available VRAM will be consumed and most computers will become unusable if any other apps are opened which need to use the GPU.
People are increasingly complaining about Lr and system performance and this is the primary issue which is contributing.
Here's a SS showing what happens within a few seconds after you open Lr and develop a single image using only the basic sliders.

Does no one at Adobe care about this bug?
LRGPU.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Participants in this forum are almost all customers like yourself, and any Adobe personel who do visit tend to focus on useability issues rather than bugs, etc. Fortunatley, your issue is already known to Adobe and is being investigated. However, it would still be helpful to report the issue on the forum that Adobe provides for bug reporting and feature requests. https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/lightroom-classic/5f5f2093785c1f1e6cc40872

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same issue here. GPU VRAM disappears and then all other apps that need to use it just slow to a crawl. I use Lightroom CC 10.2 and after a few mintues of editing photos it has sucked up all VRAM and won't let it go even if I close all the photos I've been editing on. Then anything that really uses the GPU slows to a crawl. The only way is to close LR which is a major, major frustration.

Over a year later and still an issue, surely it can't be that hard to remedy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you haven't already done so, then update to 10.3, which should improve VRAM useage and release

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar experience where I'd use 18/24 GB of VRAM on my card, and other programs like Photoshop would give warning about insufficient VRAM. DxO's raw demosaic tool, which heavily uses GPU features to process images, would go from processing them in a few seconds, to taking up to a minute when VRAM usage is high, likely because of swapping data in and out.

I'm running on a 7700k with a RTX 3090, with 32gb of system ram, and NVME/SSD disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was looking at the 3090 myself, hoping it would not be AS susceptible to the leak. I mean you would think it would be better with it’s 32gb of ram. However, I from your post it sounds like it still gets just as bogged down as the rest of the GPUs. Am I correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, I from your post it sounds like it still gets just as bogged down as the rest of the GPUs. Am I correct?

By @JDensonPhoto

Yes, just delaying the inevitable with the extra RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is not RAM it's having large quantities VRAM (i.e. more than 4GB) available for the Camera Raw component to swallow up and hold on to. LrC 10.3 should have improve GPU VRAM management compared to earlier versions, and work is ongoing to further improve VRAM management.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, my issue and most everyone elses issue is two fold. 1) It eats 100% of the GPU ram as soon as you do anything in the develope tab and only lets it go after you have shut down the program. and 2) the library tab slowly eats your CPU ram so you have to restart the program after sorting 2000-3000 photos or so.  

The GPU leak is quick and there is only a couple of Gb of ram so it's more noticible. The CPU ram leak is slower and there is far more Gbs to eat before it becomes a problem, so it's not as noticible. But it's still there. I have a program that monitors both CPU and GPU ram and I have sent the proof to Adobe and they have confirmed my results. Hell, a couple times there were sharing a screen with me as it ticked up. Yet I still don't see a fix for either issue. (and I've been complaining for several years about it while using 2 different PCs in that time).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom has had memory leak bugs since the very beginning!  I've experienced it in EVERY version since back in Lightroom 3, and it persists even today the latest Lightroom 6 release 11.3.1.  Personally, I agree with you, Adobe simply doesn't care to fix it.  For me, I'm using a very high horsepower Dell desktop that is only a few months old with a TON of memory, but even though I have plenty of free memory, Lightroom slows down after working for an hour or two, causing me to restart the program, and I also experience lockups and crashes from time to time as well.  I've never been able to zero in on where the problem lies.  Sometimes it hangs when working in the Develop module, and sometimes cleaning up keywords locks everything up.  I worked in the software industry for almost 30 years and Lightroom is the worst performing application that I have ever experienced, hands down.  I've already wasted about two lifetimes researching solutions for THEIR problems, so now I simply restart the application every couple of hours or so.  I can't believe I'm the only one with this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going to hop on this bandwagon and note this is STILL not fixed. Lightroom CC will quickly max out 12GB of VRAM on a 3080ti doing... almost nothing... and then I've got stuttering window animations just moving files around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The stuttering is due to a Gsync bug that affects all Adobe apps and which isn't going to be fixed anytime soon. If you want relief from it, you have to completely disable Gsync. I reported the issue years ago...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, is there a link to details about this Gsync bug? I'm also facing the same issue and want to gather more information about it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi have the same problem, but with a AMD 6800 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines