• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WARNING for new Creative Cloud users!

Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Earlier this month, I posted here to ask for help with a series of problems I have had setting up synchronization in Lightroom Classic on an iMac after moving up to it from LR 6 for the first time on subscribing to Creative Cloud. Although my workflow is still centered around archiving my photos on local disk plus a series of external disks that I plug in one by one as needed when I go into history, I had been trying to use Cloud to sync new shoots between LR Classic and LR Mobile on an iPad Pro. My intent is to use the iPad for initial editing when I'm away from the computer and as a way of backing up to the Cloud when I'm on the road. Eventually, when I can apply camera presets in LR Mobile, I hope to get a headstart on editing when I'm on the road also. I'm used to shooting entirely in RAW and archiving in DNG.

Although synchronization between Mobile and Classic worked out of the box, I reported on a series of problems I had detaching albums of images from the Cloud and moving them to local storage folders after completing each edit cycle. Cloud seemed to want to hang on to everything I synced into it, even after I stopped syncing a collection and moved the contacts of Cloud albums to local folders. At the end of the thread I described the workaround I eventually arrived at, which was to export each collection as DNG after editing and then re-import it into LR Classic.

Yesterday, taking a close look at the Creative Cloud master apps panel on the iMac, I finally discovered what my real problem was. Apparently the LR Classic I had been using after Creative Cloud installation, accessed at the same icon as my old LR 6, was not current 7.1 Classic at all but an interim version of Classic called LR 2015! Confusingly, this 2015 version is titled Lightroom CC, because the name change of the installed version to Lightroom Classic toook place after that release. That explains why I had never seen the Catalog update process that was supposed to take place when using Classic on an LR 6 catalog for the first time, and why so many dialogs and tabs cited in other posts were missing in my new LR.

So as soon as I invoked LR Classic 7 from the CC master panel, it migrated by Catalog to the new format and my sync problems cleared up. If you are new to Classic and things are not working as you expected them to, check this first.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read your observations several times. I think you are one who has gotten confused by the naming of the new versions of Lightroom. It's unfortunate, and probably will continue for quite some time. There are two different types of Lightroom now, and the new Lightroom CC has the identity that most users have been familiar with in the past and it has done wonders to confuse the user base.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I upgraded to Creative Cloud, I knew that I wanted the installed version currently called Lightroom Classic, and I thought that was what I was getting after the installation. What I didn't realize, and what I think will trap quite a few people, is that I was actually getting an intermediate version with features above LR 6, but not the latest LR 7.1 . It happens that t he only new editing feature I have used so far is Dehaze Filter, which was in the intermediate version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 21, 2018 Jan 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

alang63882204  wrote

Yesterday, taking a close look at the Creative Cloud master apps panel on the iMac, I finally discovered what my real problem was. Apparently the LR Classic I had been using after Creative Cloud installation, accessed at the same icon as my old LR 6, was not current 7.1 Classic at all but an interim version of Classic called LR 2015! Confusingly, this 2015 version is titled Lightroom CC, because the name change of the installed version to Lightroom Classic toook place after that release. That explains why I had never seen the Catalog update process that was supposed to take place when using Classic on an LR 6 catalog for the first time, and why so many dialogs and tabs cited in other posts were missing in my new LR.....

When I upgraded to Creative Cloud, I knew that I wanted the installed version currently called Lightroom Classic, and I thought that was what I was getting after the installation. What I didn't realize, and what I think will trap quite a few people, is that I was actually getting an intermediate version with features above LR 6, but not the latest LR 7.1 . It happens that t he only new editing feature I have used so far is Dehaze Filter, which was in the intermediate version.

This is not really accurate and demonstrates your misunderstanding. Lightroom CC 2015 was the subscription version of LR that ran parallel to LR 6. It was first released (together with LR 6) in April 2015 - hence the name - and had a two and a half years lifespan until it was replaced by LR Classic 7.0 in Oct. 2017. Hardly an "interim" or "intermediate" version. During its life it received, by virtue of its being the subscription version, new features that LR 6 did not receive.

Apparently you did not investigate enough to reveal that what you had installed was not the latest available version to which your subscription entitled you; a fact that could have easily be seen by simply opening Help/About ( a recommended practice after the installation of any software) or Help/System Info. Undoubtedly your confusion was compounded by Adobe's unfortunate naming policy, but a little more consumer-awareness research when signing up for the subscription package could have prevented it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines