• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When will Lightroom 4 get an update for the new Macbook Pro with Retina Display?

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2012 Jun 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ordered a new macbook pro with retina display, and I know that photoshop is already compatible with it, 90% of my work is done in Lightroom. So I was wondering when or if there will be an update for the new high resolution display?

Thanks

Eric

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 12, 2012 Nov 12, 2012

The Lightroom 4.3 RC offers HiDPI (Retina) support in the Develop module.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's really a load of BS. Obviously when they have the update available for the "Creative Cloud" (read big money accounts) they could give it to anyone. What they're doing is holding back to try and increase the value of their "Creative Cloud" and trying to twist our arms to get on board. THERE IS NO OTHER REASON. Don't try and give me some technical BS Adobe. You have the update, and you're holding back because we haven't given you enough money.

I bought v1 at full price when it came out, and I've bought every update since. And this is how you treat me?

I'll tell you how I'm going to spend my time in the interim when the Creative Cloud folks have the update and I don't, I'll be trying out Aperture again. And maybe I won't be back.

Greg Ihnen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another official blog here: http://blogs.adobe.com/creativelayer/new-macbook-pro-retina-display-support/

Keep in mind that Lightroom is updated every three months or so anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeez, have a little patience. You're making a lot of assumptions. You have no idea about the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC), as a software developer I know the types of steps involved to roll out software release, it's not easy. These guys are busting their butts to match Apple's hardware demands and it's no easy task. The cloud is most likely their easiest level of rollout to production. You're not in the business of software development, relax. When they rollout the update, they'll rollout when it's ready. Otherwise, enjoy Aperture or wherever you decide to go with a lesser product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Patience? Which part of "Please note that Creative Cloud members will receive Photoshop updates more frequently and receive this update in advance of updates for non-members." don't you undestand?

They're telling us they're going to hold back the updates for people who aren't a part of the "Creative Cloud".

You're either a plant or a troll.

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SDLC explains why an update only comes out every 3 months, but not why a new cloud deployment takes mentionably less time compared to the old download link on a webpage that they’ve done for years and years.

Are there really several days or weeks more of QC involved with updating a few pages on an Adobe website with the download links compared to dropping the same installer package into the cloud? Do the cloud updates show up without any supporting online documentation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're giving special treatment to the $big money$ customers, like how on airplanes first class boards first.

Has everyone taken a good look at the latest Aperture? It's pretty good. : - )

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Knock yourself out there big guy, I know you're frusterated, as well as I am, but what can you do? You're a pawn, don't like Adobe, move on. I've got Aperture, sure, nice display. But no where near what Photoshop's abilities are and not nearly as good as Lightroom 4 in comparison. Adobe are my tools of choice and I appreciate the work the developers do to provide to me the tools I use for my livelyhood. I'll patiently wait cause that's about all you can do at this point for whatever their strategy is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fubalumateli wrote:

Has everyone taken a good look at the latest Aperture? It's pretty good. : - )

Off you go, then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As to their deployment strategy, I can't answer that. Nor can any of us. Read into as you may. I do know there is a big difference between a push out to a cloud vs placing a installer for a pull down. There could be possible staging and server enviornments designed for certain release methods and loads. We can assume a lot of things at this point. Meanwhile, all you can do is wait. As typical as Apple is, they don't release these new technologies until they launch and expect software companies to adjust based on Apple's demands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"read into their strategy" you say? Did you not understand what they wrote?

I'm not frustrated because it's taking time for the Retina update to come out. I could care less, it looks fine here. What annoys me is they're going to make we wait for an update they have because they're trying to enhance the value of their "Creative Cloud".

You're making excuses, "staging and server environments..." blah blah blah. Somehow Adobe can carry the load when they've released all their other products. But let's go with your theory... they had to figure out who they're going to let download first (because of transport/server load issues mind you) so who do they pick? The big money clients. hmmm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look, this is a Lightroom user forum and zilch to do with PS. There is no announcement on Lightroom Retina updates except that it will happen:

"We expect to update the following products with HiDPI support, free to all CS6 and Creative Cloud customers, over the next few months:" the list includes Lightroom and PS. I would expect that Lightroom will get a free update in line with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn’t LR part of the cloud-subscription, now, too? Or is it just free with the Creative Cloud subscription, but nothing is cloud-based with LR?

And, not being someone with a CC-subscription, does the CS software deployment even happen via the cloud or is it just the licensing that is auto-renewing through the cloud and the updates come down with the Adobe Updater as always?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All applications from a CC subscription are locally hosted, the subscription is monthly and is just a different licencing.

ssprengel wrote:

Isn’t LR part of the cloud-subscription, now, too?  Or is it just free with the Creative Cloud subscription, but nothing is cloud-based with LR? 

And, not being someone with a CC-subscription, does the CS software deployment even happen via the cloud or is it just the licensing that is auto-renewing through the cloud and the updates come down with the Adobe Updater as always?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fubalumateli wrote:

That's really a load of BS. Obviously when they have the update available for the "Creative Cloud" (read big money accounts) they could give it to anyone. What they're doing is holding back to try and increase the value of their "Creative Cloud" and trying to twist our arms to get on board. THERE IS NO OTHER REASON.

There's some US legislation involved, to do with the way their earnings are reported, which allows them to add features to subscription licenses but not to perpetual licenses.  I am neither an accountant nor a lawyer, so I'm not going to claim to fully understand it, and I'm certainly not going to debate it.  This is a user to user forum for supporting the product Lightroom.

Back to the main topic of this thread, the announcement says that a list of products, including LR, will get retina support over the next few months for free.  No dates specified, but it IS coming soon. 

It's unusual that they announce forthcoming updates before release, so that's good news.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"There's some US legislation involved, to do with the way their earnings are reported, which allows them to add features to subscription licenses but not to perpetual licenses.  I am neither an accountant nor a lawyer, so I'm not going to claim to fully understand it, and I'm certainly not going to debate it.  This is a user to user forum for supporting the product Lightroom."

Where did you hear that? Can you cite the law? I know you didn't want to take the thread off topic, but you're the one saying it's to comply with the govt tax/SEC as the reason why Adobe is choosing to give preferential treatment to some of it's customers in how it gives out FREE updates. And exactly what are the earnings from free updates?

I think this thread is on topic, since the thread is about Lightroom's upcoming support for Retina display, and Adobe is telling us in their words that if we're not on Creative Cloud that we will have to wait longer than those on Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fubalumateli wrote:

since the thread is about Lightroom's upcoming support for Retina display, and Adobe is telling us in their words that if we're not on Creative Cloud that we will have to wait longer than those on Creative Cloud.

The linked article specifically states "Therefore each product team will be releasing support for HiDPI display for Apple’s Retina Display as soon as the development is complete". 

The references to waiting longer do not apply to the Retina support (which is classed as an existing feature on new hardware) - they apply to other new features which are planned to other programs.  Nothing (to date at least) has been said about new features being added to Lightroom.

And google for Sarbanes-Oxley if you want more on the legalities (but it's no good coming back here to ask me about what you find!!!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did you even read Sarbanes-Oxley before you posted that? It has nothing to do with what you're taking about. It's about responsibility and penalties for public accounting/reporting. It is not a reason why Adobe would have to hold back updates for people who don't belong to the "Creative Cloud". Sorry to be so persistent on this topic but this falls into the "Don't p*ss on my leg and tell me it's raining" category. Citing Sarbanes-Oxley was quite a reach.

If I didn't know that big companies have their own plants/trolls on forums I'd be a bit more inclined to believe things you guys are posting in Adobe's defense if it made any sense at all.

I do think that if Adobe's hands were tied by corporate law the effects would happen behind the scenes and they wouldn't be so quick to announce that their special customers who pay more get it sooner.

Sorry dudes, I'm not buying it. I believe Adobe is trying to enhance the value of their "Creative Cloud" even more by giving those users a fast track for the updates, which really means holding it back for the other people. They're not baking special updates for the rest of us which take longer to produce.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fubalumateli wrote:

I did you even read Sarbanes-Oxley before you posted that?

Yes I read it, and learned from people who deal in legalities of software distribution and revenue recognition.  However, as I said, I don't claim to be an expert on the subject so I'm not going to debate it with you.  When they get to post the blog post on the subject, I'll send you the link.  You can believe whatever you like; I can only share the information I've been given.  (and on that note, I'm out of this conversation)

Now, back to the main topic.  None of that discussion affects retina displays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 12, 2012 Nov 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Lightroom 4.3 RC offers HiDPI (Retina) support in the Develop module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines