• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't I see my develop edits when I load a 2yr old legacy catalogue into LR Classic v10.1 ????

Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have approx 20,000 images from a 2 year old catalogue (Lightroom 3 Catalog-2-2-2 Previews.lrdata) saved using LR Classic V6 (I think). 2 years ago I brought a new iMac and created a new catalogue. Im in the process of creating a new website and was hoping to use many of my legacy images. When I open my legacy catalogue into LR v10.1.1 it does not show the develop edits or history associated with the images. Im not sure why this is. Its going to be one hella of a lot of work if Im not able to retrieve edits...which Im dreading:/)

Please can someone help! TIA.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

When you set those permissions, be sure to choose 'Apply to enclosed items'.

1 2021-02-03 15-22-28.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lrdata file is not the catalog, it is the previews folder. The catalog has the extension, lrcat. Are you certain you have opened the right catalog? There was no Lightroom Classic V6. Does LrC 10.1.1 have any edit history at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

Thanks very much for your reply....and excuse my lack of knowledge in this area.

I think I must have been using Lightroom  V5 when I saved the catalgoue prior to using a new iMac in 2018. When I open my current catalogue (LR-2-v10.lrcat) in LR 10.1.1 it DOES have edit history. 

When I attempt to open the legacy catalogue file (Lightroom 3 Catalog-2-2-2.lrcat) it comes up with the dialogue boxes below (see attached) lrcat msg.pnglrcat msg2.pngand fails to open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

permissions.png

I have Sharing Permissions set to "Read & Write" so I'm puzzled as to why Im getting the above messages. Any assistance would be much appreciated 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just tried opening Lightroom 3 Catalog-2-2-2.lrcat (my legacy catalogue) in Lightroom V5.3 and Im still unable to open the catalogue, instead getting the message, as attached; 

Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 10.25.05.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about the permissions for OLD LR/Lightroom, are those read & write?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Ive set permissions to Read & Write for all LR associated folders and files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you set those permissions, be sure to choose 'Apply to enclosed items'.

1 2021-02-03 15-22-28.jpg

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

AHA! That's done the trick!!

I wasnt aware of the right click options in setting permissions. Doh.

THANK YOU SO MUCH. 

You've made my day 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At hc I believe this may have to do with your specific problem, have a look at the screen capture below that indicates the default location for Catalog files.

93A8539A-41EF-48D2-B68D-236ECEF86AE5.jpeg
You will see the first folder after your user name, called Pictures. That folder is created by the Windows OS. Windows creates several folders in this directory it is referred to as the "root" directory and is reserved for Windows use. You can use one of the root folders to have the old/Lightroom sub folder located, Desktop, Documents etc.

Try moving the Old folder and its contents to a new location.

I have moved to a macOS system over five years ago so I have not been able to test.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines