• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Add text notes to photos, stacks, folders, directories, collections

Explorer ,
May 04, 2011 May 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me add text notes to photo, stacks of photos, and directories of photos so that I can record shot and processing details. I'd like to be able to print the notes along with an image thumbnail.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
98 Comments
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Metadata for a stack...
Hmm....
I see possibilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can already add notes to photos, in several different ways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the ability to add notes to a stack would be a nice FR (assuming Stacks receive some attention in the next release)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, for instance a way to delineate if a stack is a Pano, focus stack, HDR, time sequence, etc. Perhaps a set of icons could be created and attached to stacks for clarity. And then of, course searches and sorts could be conducted on these icons. For instance, a user could search and sort around all their HDR stacks or Pano's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love this idea. Notes for folders, collections, presets, stacks, etc. would be very useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, notes for keywords and collections. It's useful to record details about the person, place, or event named by the keyword or collection. Photoshop Elements let you do this, and many people found it very useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend using custom metadata for photo notes in the mean time, either JB's 'Big Note' plugin, or my CustomMetadata plugin.

Also, FolderNotes supports folder notes and catalog notes, although it leaves something to be desired over a native implementation, you may find it useful in the mean time.

+1 vote: Notes for "everything" to satisfy us note-a-holics... - add to the list notes for:

- Snapshots
- History steps
- Custom Metadata items
- Publish Services
- DNG Camera Calibration Profiles

One could just keep notes for these things in other ways/places but the value of the convenience of having them right there when/where you need them should not be underestimated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the Any Tag plugin supports notes for keywords. The range of plugins providing "notes" or "description" functionality does suggest that folding it into the core workflow of LR could benefit a larger number of users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 05, 2011 May 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One disadvantage of a plugin solution is that the notes are not stored in XMP or DNG files. They only live in LR catalogs.

Rob, if you like notes in the history panel, you may like my feature request that (among other things, such as non-linear "undo") suggests user defined names (e.g., "Teeth Whitening") for edit actions).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a sucker for just about any improvement to edit-history (you got my vote there).

And perhaps, I could get your support for saving custom metadata in xmp(?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some plugins do store their notes in the catalog. The Any Tag plugin stores its notes in a plain text file, so they're not locked into the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, if its custom metadata (which is presently only supported on a per-photo basis), then its in the catalog. FolderNotes stores notes in plain text files too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose it goes with saying that if notes are supported in Lr interface then they should be accessible via SDK too...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 06, 2011 May 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
May 20, 2011 May 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have my vote there, definitively needs it. And over all need them to be copied in the xmp metadata at least the notes that refer to the photo..
regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 23, 2011 May 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeeez, do ANY of this guy's comments come without pre-installed plugs to his own software?
All these plugs make me want to avoid his stuff, regardless of what it does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I pose solutions regardless of their origin. Please do ignore them if they don't interest you, but please do not pollute the forum with personal attacks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That wasn't a personal attack, it was an opinion, to which I am entitled.
Please ignore any further opinions of mine if you don't like them.

Regarding my comment, oddly enough, the origins of most of the "solutions" I have seen so far posted by you, seem to be for your own software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thpppppppp...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 12, 2011 Aug 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

notes for folders would be great

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 29, 2011 Nov 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I'm love working with Lightroom because it's the only way to handle so many photos. But I was always wondering why it is not possible to put a description or a tag to a folder or a selection ? At least I have photos of an event in such a folder or selection, and for me it would be pretty helpful to store some general notes for this event without attaching it to all photos. How do you handle this ??
Best
Heiko

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the advantages of virtual copies is of course that you can have several copies, each with different processing . Is there a consensus as to where you can keep NOTES unique to each virtual copy of the processing used? The ol' mind sometimes leaks too much to remember what I did to each virtual copy and the history list is sometimes too cryptic to help. Some copyes where made for printing/framing, some for video, some for wallpaper... Please make it possible to have NOTES on the images (not in the metadata, only in LR).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merged, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 30, 2011 Nov 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Copy Name" field can be used to keep notes specific to virtual copies, or even master photos for that matter. No reason the same info can't be put into Copy Name of all the images in a stack, either. I'm sure there is a limit to the number of characters that the field will accept, but I haven't run into it yet. I use the copy name field for exactly the purpose you describe (destination of copy, different size prints, etc.). And the field can be searched using the Text function or in smart collections.

Votes

Translate

Translate