• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Allow use of Drive Letters A: and B:

LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2011 Sep 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the import dialogue in Lightroom 3 on Windows the drive letters A: and B: does not show up. I have A: assigned to an HDD and B: assigned to an SSD where I like to save my DNG files. (It was a VERY long time ago since those drive letters were reserved for floppy drives).

My suggestion is to make all drive letters assigned to an attached storage device visible as a destination in the import dialogue.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

Agreed, Adobe should have fixed this back in LR 1. 

As a workaround, click the To dropdown in the upper-right corner of the Import window, then Other Destination, and navigate to the parent folder on A: where you want imports to go:

johnrellis_0-1651004552186.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Aug 17, 2014 Aug 17, 2014
In another thread, ron@ronwhite.com showed how to import from A and B drives quickly with no additional effort.

In the Import window, click on Select A Source and then choose Other Source:

Then select the A or B drive and choose Select Folder:

In subsequent imports, the A or B drive will appear under Recent for even faster access:

(Of course, it would be better if LR just showed the drives in the left-hand column, but at this point, three years later, I'm skeptical that Adobe will e...

Votes

Translate

Translate
93 Comments
LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably a limitation brought on by the OS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been brought up many times.  It would probably be simpler to designate the B: drive as another letter instead of waiting for Adobe to change this.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disregard 🙂

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 16 drives including card readers, network mapped drives and other virtual drives.

I'd just like to use B properly.

I can and do for installing high speed access programmes such as games.
I can work around this and do so, it would just be nice for Adobe to acknowledge that they're there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

other items such as Steam (game loading repository) have no such limitations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted about this yesterday, having not found another thread on the topic... because the thread was so old!!
12 years later and it's still not resolved. 
In a couple of years, this thread will be ready for school leaving exams

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the answer marked "correct" not work for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a crazy limitation and silly the things apologists in this thread have come up with over the years to try to defend the status quo.  Even after you override and get your desired drive to the 'To' destination at the top right, Lightroom refuses to show your selected destination amongst the expanded Destination list at the right.  Adobe should be embarassed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's a work around, not the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just connected a new SSD (Samsung T7) to my laptop that I have downloaded some images to, I open up LRC, go to import and the drive is not showing, all of my other drives are, just not the new one. 
I have shutdown the computer and restarted with drive attached and then relaunched LRC, but still cannot see the drive (B for drive letter). I can see the drive in file explorer and add and delete from it, security settings are turned off.
Never had this issue before with SanDisk SSD, just plug and play, or even with my old Samsung T5
Any ideas gratefully recived

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• I recently added a second SSD to my laptop, running Windows 11 Home.
    • Being a bit persnickety about drive letter assignments, when I partioned it into two drive I assigned the drive letters A & B to the partitions created.
  • Photoshop had no problem reading or writing to the A or B drive, however Lightroom Classic is still under the impression that A or B drives belong to floppy drives or some sort of issue like that.
  • I reassigned the drive to letters E & F and I now have full access to the drives in both Photoshop and Lightroom Classic. 
  • I do not know if this would be an issue with MacOS or not.

@Adobe Support please add this as a note for your Tier 1 tech support because they wanted to monkey around with the permissions and such on my drive when I specifically if drive letter assignment was a known issue. 

Best Regards Y'all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not use drives A: or B: in Windows for data, but for YEARS I have been setting up an SSD as drive B: which is where I keep my LrC catalog. Never an issue.

MacOS uses drive names rather than lettters and drives must be renamed precisely when substituting one LrC data drive for another. For example when a larger drive is required for image files.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2024 Feb 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The photos in my catalog are all on my A drive. (It's an internal 16Tb drive and the drive letter and name does not change.)

When importing, this drive *used* to show up in the source list on the left, and the destination list on the right. However, while the other drives still appear, and I can still select the A drive at the top left and right, it no longer shows up on the right (when I am importing photos from another folder on my A drive) or on the right (which was very handy to make sure they were importing in the correct folder structure).

jmann74_1-1707964271474.png

The A drive is still available: it shows up as green in my folder list...

jmann74_2-1707964541056.png

...and I can, in fact import successfully. But it's disconcerting to be doing so effectively "blind", particularly in regards to previewing the destination folder structure. I really miss having the preview folder structure on the right side. Any idea why my A drive isn't showing up in import - and how to get it back?

I'm running 13.1 on Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a general precaution, you should not use A or B as drive letters. They were originally reserved by Windows for floppy drives, and that's why your system drive is now C.

Obviously that's all history by now, but you can still encounter situations where A and B are not properly supported. This is apparently one of them.

Easily avoided problem. There are still plenty enough letters in the alphabet to maintain a huge array of drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

A lot of people have complained about this bug:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-allow-use-of-drive-letters-a-and-b/idi-p/12...

It's been present since LR 1. While it's true that by convention floppies were assigned to A & B, all of the 32- and 64-bit versions of Windows that LR 1 ran on allowed programs to query a drive to see it's type, so there's no technical reason LR 1 couldn't have allowed the use of A & B:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-allow-use-of-drive-letters-a-and-b/idc-p/12...

I don't know how you observed different behavior in Lightroom Classic. What was the previous version in which it worked for you?  I'm 95% sure all of the versions have behaved the same, except LR 6.2.1, which radically redesigned the Import window and implemented A & B correctly. But Adobe quickly rolled back the redesign after user outrage, and the correct implementation of A & B was discarded.

You've discovered the workaround for selecting A & B in the Source and Destination. You can also preview the destination folders by clicking Destination Folders at the top of the center panel: 

johnrellis_0-1707982303835.png

It's not as concise as the Destination panel's list view, but you can use the = and - keys to quickly adjust the size of the thumbnails to get more on the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you @johnrellis  and @D Fosse! I promise I did search for related issues before posting (both here and on Google, with frustratingly little luck), but evidently I was using "source" and not the specific drives "A" and "B" in my searches. It didn't occur to me the issue might be the drive letters themselves.

John: it has been a couple months since I used Lightroom, and it's possible that I hadn't tried an import since re-naming my drives as part of a computer rebuild last spring. I certainly thought I had, but it seems more likely that my memory is faulty than I had some sort of miraculous exception for a little while.

You both have "correct" answers, but I'll mark john's since it has more detail that might be useful for other people running afoul of this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate