• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Auto Import to folders organized by date

Contributor ,
Jun 11, 2011 Jun 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Auto Import feature could be really useful but it does not allow users to handle files in the same way as the "standard" import routine within Lightroom, and this makes is problematic to use.For example:I use a Canon 7D which auto imports images into the "final destination" folder, then when I open Lr I can run the Standard import routine to apply metadata & presets etc. The cataloguing structure I use is a main folder named 2011, and each new batch of images goes into a separate folder named automatically by the date the image was shot, which makes things really easy.Auto Import does not appear to allow me to replicate this simple and effective workflow, and it would be really useful if it did.Any suggestions welcomethanks for your interest

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 14, 2011 Jun 14, 2011
If I understand the post correctly, Edward's request is valid. The folder that Lightroom is auto-importing from (the watched folder) does remain empty, in the sense that Lightroom pulls photos out of it when ever it detects a photo in the folder. But the only destination that auto-import lets you specify is a flat folder. I believe Edward is asking for the same destination options that the regular import dialog provides (i.e., the ability to segment folders by date, etc.).

-Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate
28 Comments
Participant ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe how old this request is, so not sure if my reply will help, but FWIW…

Please add the ability to organize by date and choose the folder naming scheme for auto imports, just like you can with a manual import. Basically, add these two controls (and their functionality) to the Auto Import Settings dialog:Lightroom Auto Import.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also wanted this feature and found this thread.

I don't *like* this solution but it works for me. 

• Inside of Lightroom, "Select All" on my autoimport folder
  • Delete all photos from lightroom
  • Run a "normal" import against my autoimport folder using "move"

The above allowed me to get the pictures organized in the folders I normally expect them in and it seems to auto find duplicates if I run the import from my camera as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adding my voice to the pile.

Would've been really cool to have this work in tandem with syncthing syncing photos from my camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate