• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Better auto stacking for bracketing, HDR, Focus Stacking and Panoramas

Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently shoot a lot of Bracketed shots for exposure blending, and with each shot having a different shutter speed the auto-stacking can fail to accurately stack the grouped shots - especially when the shutter speed gets up into 10+ seconds!I would love an option for Auto Stacking to work on the time delay between the shutter closing and the shutter opening again, so it is a true measure of the gap between shots. In this way I can auto-stack on all bracketed shots even when the shutter speed is seconds long. Calculate the time between shots by adding the shutter speed to the capture time of the first shot, and then compare this to the capture time of the next shot, and if I am using Continuous shooting, this gap will be only a fraction of a second, regardless of the shutter speed.Gary

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
75 Comments
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.
"Stacking by time" is a great feature, but many times, it is failing.
The problem is: when you shoot exposure bracketing for HDR composing, the time between shots in sequences may vary, and it may be longer than the time between different shoots. A vivid example: you do a real estate bracketing shoot. In a bright room, the sequence duration will be very short, and the sequence duration in a dark basement will be very, very long. Same time, an interval between two sequences taken in the same room, just with a different angle, may be a split second. It makes auto stacking nearly impossible.
But the number of pictures in each sequence will always be the same - 3, or 5, or whatever you set. So, why not allow to set auto stacking by this number? "Stack sequences by 3, 5, 7 pictures", and it will work in any situation when you use auto bracketing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would still love to see the ability to stack by number of exposures. I pretty much always shoot 5 bracketed exposures, and all I need is to stack by fives. "Auto-stack by capture time" kinda works, most of the time, but if I'm shooting in a darker environment, that can throw off the capture time significantly. If I'm working with undreds of exposures, it's a pain to try to hunt down the incorrectly stakced images.

Seems like something simple enough to be able to implement, to stack by whatever number you'd like to stack by.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I add my vote to this 11 year old request. In 2022, there MUST be a better way to autostack images. By knowing a DSLR burst rate, by detecting bracketed images, by AI on panoramas or HDR, based on similar content... Make Snesei useseful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently the only way I see to auto stack photos for HDR merging is by capture time - and this doesn't always work as sometimes the longest exposure is longer than the time between AEB bursts.

A much easier and more helpful feature that would be used by many thousands of HDR photographers would be an option to stack or even just go ahead and merge every 3, 5, or 7 photos.

I would imagine this would be very simple code and make many thousands of photographers very happy and save us all a lot of time.

I can only imagine that this isn't already a feature because the developers don't realize how many users would want this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, since automatic stacking by capture time doesn't work with long exposure bracketing shots at different time intervals to make HDR Merging, I'd like to propose a much simpler method for quickly making stacks of the same number of images - Grouping after a certain number of photos in order.

This will definitely make batch processing much easier and faster and I'm sure many HDR-ers would be happy with it.

Please vote 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as the stacking of large image series in current LR (v11.5, i'm not using v12 yet as i still have to stick with mac os catalina) is still limited to manual selection and timebased intervals i like to add my upvote this thread.

i second the feature request for introducing a simple stacking by a certain number of images in a stack mentioned several times in this thread very much!

with 20+ years experience in professional hdr 360° panorama production stacking by number of images in a stack is by far the most effective, simple and safe method.

when i'm capturing large projects with a nearly fully automated workflow (e.g. robotic panorama head with exposure measurement > lightroom pre production > batch project building and batch stitching with ptgui) i'm talking about 1000s of images which need to be treated unattended throughout the workflow.

i like the HDR DNG look LR produces more than photomatix styles or PTGuis built-in HDR and fusion functions, but the unreliable stacking by capture time is a show stopper here, especially when longer exposure times in dark rooms are getting longer than the intervals between the bracketing series themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In PTGui, it's been there since the beginning and it works great. Why has this not been in LR for so long?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stack by number of exposures - is the best option!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, stack by number of images would help many users who use any sort of normal bracketing mode which will  always give the same 3, 5, 7, or 9 shot sequence, or panorama with a proper pano head, this is far more common use case especially for lage projects than shooting a random number of images per sequence and later wanting to stack by time interval 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Necesitamos una manera automatica más sencilla 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I really don't understand how this is already not a feature but I wanted to push for this update.

When you are shooting real estate, it's a very mechanical workflow, 3-5 brackets and hdr merge.  The capture time stacking IS NOT A VIABLE OPTION FOR REAL ESTATE!!!  In dark rooms and basement, I sometimes have to do long exposures of up to and exceeding 30 seconds.  This meaning that in order to make this work, I would need to actively take at least one minute between brackets which is not always the case when you make some fine adjustments in the same position.  

Adobe, can you PLEASE just put a set stack feature.  Example: every 5 photos is a stack?

Please vote this up!

Cheers,

-Travis

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long in between frames? The auto stack by capture time works on the time in between shots, not the time of the shots.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/grouping-photos-stacks.html#:~:text=Select%20a%20fold....

Now, you mention time in between frames being large. Why? Do you perhaps have a setting on that slows down the time it takes to save the image to the SD card? Perhaps noise reduction, perhaps clarity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if I understand your question.  But let's say I do a basement where I need 15-30 seconds of exposure, it means that the time between would be at least thirty seconds.  But on a main floor I might have a few sets that start less that 30 seconds apart.  Meaning that auto stacking by capture time does not work for me.

I just don't understand why they wouldn't just make an auto stacking feature based on number of photos you want in the stack.  Like it's a pretty obvious and easy feature to create for a lot of people doing real estate photos

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lots of people have asked for this over the years, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 27, 2023 May 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had used some other off-brand software for photo editing, and this was a useful no-brainer feature. Never quite understood why it was so difficult for Adobe to incorporate this super simple idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

The new Auto Stack command in my Any Source plugin lets you stack every photos or by the time between when the shutter closed in the previous photo and it opened in the current photo:

johnrellis_0-1686115842646.png

Update: I fixed the bug with languages other than English.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ john rellis: kudos for trying to solve this long-lasting problem! curios as i am, i tried it immediately, but got an error message from group-into-stack.scpt. peeked into it to notice, that it only works with the english version of LR. made a copy and filled in the german menu items and was able to get it to work, but it creates only one stack with 8 x 5 images selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for giving it a try. I misunderstood how the stack workaround would work in other languages, and I'll get out a fix asap.  I'll contact you privately about the other issue.

(The forum platform is buggy with email notifications about private messages, so keep a lookout for the mail icon in the upper-right corner of these pages.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@thomas_bredenfeld, I sent you a private message about your other issue -- did you receive it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Auto Stack function in version 1.20 of @johnrellis Any Source plugin now works like a charm for me and is very helpful for preparing any HDR brackets for panorama production!
Kudos to John!

Votes

Translate

Translate