• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Display Photo Dimension live while cropping.

Advocate ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple thing:

When Cropping the dimensions of the image/photo (in pixels) should be displayed in the UI.

This would allow us to crop precisely.

This is a standard in the photographic  industry and LR doesn't have it.

It's a must do.

P.S.

(If this was alsed already I am sorry, I searched and nothing come up)

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
25 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cropping the dimensions of the image/photo (in pixels)

Cropping in LrC is proportonal not by pixel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further, the crop and pixels never come into reality until you export the image. At that point, you can define how many pixels, the same, less or more, you want from that crop.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is available in many, many other softwares.

And we can already display the dimensions with an Info Window BUT that's a workaround, that's not the proper way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many other post processing programs are destructive, LrC is non destructive, big difference. What you want, to actually crop to specific dimensions is destructive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See screenshot of Lr Crop with the Info Window.

Cropping.jpg

With a workaround we have it but it's not good at all because at today that info does not update in real time, as we crop, but only updates when we relase the crop.

The dimensions info shoudlbe diplyed by default, in the Crop UI...even Dropbox does it right while Lr fails to do it.Crop Dropbox.jpg

Another major raw editor, that allows non destuctive workflow diplays the dimensions of the iamge while croppin, in real time, seamless, flawless...it works and it is great.

Lr is missing this for no real reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are plenty of reasons LR and ACR doesn't do it. They have been provided. What other non Adobe products do is kind of moot and the Adobe teams don't follow, they lead.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can have the pixel dimension dispalyed but not by default and the info it's not not updated in real time.

So it's just a matter of implementing it better ergo my suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it's just a matter of implementing it better ergo my suggestion.
By @C.Cella

You are entitlted to make such requests. Two of us have discussed why it might not ever happen. We now wait and see.

Nothing in software creation is simple and I say that as an actual software developer within the Adobe Ecosystem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try this plugin.    https://johnrellis.com/lightroom/anycrop.htm

I agree with the others.  Crop to aspect, export to pixel dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already use Any-Crop Plug-in.

Unfortunately Any Crop cannot be displayed above LR, and the only workaround is to reduce Lr widow so to dispaly them side to side...it's not really great for me to work with a reduced LR as I don't have a big enough monitor.

But, yes Any Crop has the feature I am suggesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The request is valid.

There are some objections along the lines of “Lightroom doesn’t work that way,” but it does. The objections are based on Lightroom Classic not fixing an image to any real world measurement, such as inches, until export.

That is true. But that is not what this request is about.

This request is about displaying the pixel dimensions that will result if the mouse was to be released during a specific moment during an interactive crop, not about post-export dimensions (so the Any Crop plug-in does not help). A photo has a definite width and height in pixels recorded at capture…no one can deny this. And after a Lightroom Classic crop, the photo has a smaller effective width and height in exact pixels; no one can deny that either. Lightroom Classic already knows what those values are, because it’s exactly the values that will be applied and reported after the mouse button is released. They are not some future rendered dimensions, they are the exact pixel dimensions Lightroom Classic stores in the database and shows you in the Info overlay.

The lack of this feature, combined with the lack of being able to crop when magnified, and the lack of being able to enter exact crop pixel dimensions, makes precise cropping much more difficult than it has to be in Lightroom Classic, and far more difficult than in other applications. Because of those things it’s exasperating to try and edit an existing crop by an exact number of pixels. I would go as far to say that the general lack of precision of the interactive cropping UI in Lightroom Classic makes that part of the application seem about 20–25 years older than it is.

There really is no excuse not to report crop dimensions during the edit in real time, in a modern image editing application. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Conrad, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

LR (and ACR) are parameric editors. No resulting pixels are produced until the instructions and original are together rendered. A crop is no different. Plus, one can crop in LR and export any number of resulting pixels based on the export presets. Even multiple pixels and resulting documents from that ONE crop at the same time. The crop is a  proportion of the preview which itself has differing pixels but that's moot too.

Maybe ACR could show this as at the very least, the workflow options for the subsequent rendering are shown to the user; the user set that up first. But I doubt that will happen either. It might, in ACR, which would be a sign it may, repeat may migrate to LR but I seriously doubt it will based on the replies thus far and the history of how parametric edits being pixel agnostic have been from day one.

You can of course upvote as can others. But I don't see the pont and expressed they whys. Not an excuse, as designed and for some very good reasons.

Magnified cropping is a totally different subject and request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This request is about displaying the pixel dimensions that will result if the mouse was to be released during a specific moment during an interactive crop, not about post-export dimensions (so the Any Crop plug-in does not help). "

The Any Crop plugin does indeed show the pixel dimensions of the current crop interactively as you adjust the crop. But the downside, as C.Cella alluded, is that the LR SDK doesn't allow plugins to keep floating windows on top. So to see the current dimensions as you adjust the crop, you have to adjust the LR main window to allow Any Crop to peek through on the side.   See the attached screen recording for an example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The forum no longer lets me attach files to replies -- here's the screen recording of Any Crop:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2psdq4fg8kjqafj/anycrop-dimensions.2022.01.24.mov?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Any Crop plugin does indeed show the pixel dimensions of the current crop interactively as you adjust the crop.

Thanks John, I was mistaken about that (haven’t tried that plug-in yet, so I thought it was only about exporting).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Question.  Why would you want or need to crop to specific pixel dimensions for the original image?  It can't be for any asthetic reason.  There may be some reason I can't even imagine but I am guessing it is very rare that this is done/needed. For the few that need this there is AnyCrop.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I crop an Image it would be useful to me to know precisely how much I am cropping in real time.

It's an extra level of precision.

Knowing that I am cropping exactly 1-10-100-1000 pixels is more useful than guessing and or cropping back and forth because the Info window doesn't update in real time.

Again we already have the cropped dimensions displayable in LR but it's not done right, so it's just a matter of doing it right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I crop an Image it would be useful to me to know precisely how much I am cropping in real time.

By @C.Cella

So now you want a percentage of crop, not pixels? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work on a website. Our photos are 1620 x 1080 pixels.

When I'm cropping an image, I want the crop size to show in pixels as I'm doing it so I don't get smaller than 1620 x 1080. Guessing and checking is highly inefficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaultnw1cujcax44l 

For the meantime as mentioned above the solution is to use "Any Crop" by @johnrellis 

Download it here: Any Crop 

You can create a preset and always crop at those exact specific dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it be possible to add at some point the following enhancement to the crop tool in Lightroom,

when we use the crop tool, if we pull down or pull up from any corner we cannot see the size until we let go of the mouse, so we have to grab a corner again and adjust until we get the required size,

Can we have the floating height and width  .px so we can see what we are adjusting as we pull the corner up or down as described above, just like you can in Photoshop?

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read the arguments against... but my use case is cropping to aspect ratio for 1 16:9 picture frame which has a physical resolution of 1920x1080. I want to ensure that im not cropping to LESS than 1920x1080 so I'd like to see the size while I'm adjusting the 16:9 rectangle. While I understand people's comments ideally I'd like software to do what **I** want it to do, not what you want it to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR DOES record and display the cropped size of the image.  After doing a crop in Develop go back to Library and look at the "Cropped" information in the EXIF section.  When you export, the resulting image will be derived from those cropped pixels and nothing else.  If you don't do resizing on export the resulting image WILL have exactly those pixel dimensions.  

A scenario that demands different crops is printing canvas wraps.  At a small size the proportion of the image that is wrapped, say 1.5", is larger than at larger sizes.  If you print an image where the borders are sized for a small frame, then print the same image at a much larger size, part of the portion that was intended to be only on the wrapped edge will instead appear on the main face.  If you've done reflected borders (or solid ones) it looks horrible.  I can easily compute the reduced "total" image size, in pixels, that ensures the correct wrap position for any final print size, and it would be SO convenient to just make a virtual copy and apply that crop! 

I have discovered that if you turn on display of "Loupe Info" and choose "Info 1" the resulting croip size will display in the Develop module once you commit the crop.  Just keep making small adjustments until you get what you want - as well as a huge stack of "Crop Rectangle" entries in your history.  Still a bit of a pain but better than having to flip to Library and back again.  I usually can't get to the exact pixel size by dragging the crop handles, but can get close enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@gfsjyg

LrC like Photoshop or Capture One should display the crop live in the Ui.

Even Dropbox shows the exact pixels when cropping on my mobile phone.

Screenshot_20230710_181037.jpg

LrC is simply embarrassing when it comes to Cropping. Worse pro app on the market for this task.

I suggest you to use/download Any Crop by @johnrellis 

Dowload Any Crop 

You can crop while zooming AND it allows to even crop one pixel at the time + can dispaly crop pixles live.

If form time to time you need to have exact pixels (e.g.1000 x 1980) you can: create a preset > apply it > delete preset after.

That's the workaround to use in Any Crop to set a custom crop fast and precisely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The comments about pixels not mattering until export miss the mark and don't address OP's request.

An example use case of this feature would be a deliverable that is going to print at a certain size and minumum resolution requirement. If you crop too much you will fall below the number of pixels required to meet that deliverable. Sure, you can over-crop the image and then set your export to force the correct deliverable (5x7" @300 dpi, for example), but if the cropped image in the Develop module is not 7 x 300 = 2,100 pixels wide you're either losing quality (upscaling) or it will be too small.

OP is simply asking to be aware of this in real time as they are setting the crop dimension in the Develop module. As others have stated, LR knows these values, it just does not currently display them until after the crop is applied (Loupe Info Overlay).

Votes

Translate

Translate