• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Enable Zoom with Crop Tool

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may have already been suggested, but it would be nice if the zoom feature in Lightroom 4 could be enabled while using the crop tool to make refined adjustments to the crop area. At present, there is only a clumsy work-around using the secondary display for refined crop adjustments.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 123 Replies 123
123 Comments
Mentor ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@PaulHolman Yes, i'm pretty sure that Classic is the only app in existence that doesn't allow users to zoom while cropping. More than likely, someone on that team just doesn't want to admit that they were wrong about users wanting/needing to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the advent of multi megapixel sensors it is possible to perform extreme crops and still maintain saisfactory image quality. However, when the crop tool is selected in Lightroom Classic the view reverts to "FIT" the entire image, making precise cropping difficult. 

It would be helpful to use the selected zoom level, eg 100%, when cropping.

The workaround, exporting a rough crop and refining on the saved image is not really satisfactory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Timothy J Smallwood, while waiting for Adobe to implement this much-needed feature, try the Adjust Crop command of the Any Crop plugin:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In ACR is possible to crop while Zoomed.

Why ACR yes and LrC no?!

There are millions of paying LrC users that are forced to use/switch to ACR to do the job while it should be doable in LrC.

I find this profoundly unjust.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please enable this feature as not all landscape photos have a horizon line stretching across the entire image.  I often have images of harbours or bays where only 25-30% of the image has a horizon line and the rest is land.  Its very difficult to get the horizon correct in these images without the ability to zoom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We as end-users need to get this VERY IMPORTANT feature added..... The ability to zoom in/create a loupe/magnifyer when cropping an image brought into LRC is a MUST! I work in the Library system for a state university and I digitize historical images and documents for future preservation. I don't see how Adobe has allowed for this to go unattended. With all the updates, add-ons, etc. that have been created, zooming while cropping HAS to be integrated. I cannot stress this enough Adobe! Please, please get this into your next update. When cropping any image/item LRC shows a standard crop frame over the entire item/image. I need to be able to see the finite edge of what I am cropping so that valuable information is not lost forever in the initial phase of transition from physical negative/print to a digital file. This is EXTREMELY important when arhiving. I know for a fact that information is being left on the "cut room floor" that I am unable to see when cropping especially from a negative conversion to positive. Please, I beg of you Adobe, integrate a loupe or magnifier into the crop tool for a super precise crop! This would be worth its weight in gold to all users out there! Let's really push this feature to be TOP PRIORITY!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We as end-users need to get this VERY IMPORTANT feature added..... The ability to zoom in/create a loupe/magnifyer when cropping an image brought into LRC is a MUST! I work in the Library system for a state university and I digitize historical images and documents for future preservation. I don't see how Adobe has allowed for this to go unattended. With all the updates, add-ons, etc. that have been created, zooming while cropping HAS to be integrated. I cannot stress this enough Adobe! Please, please get this into your next update. When cropping any image/item LRC shows a standard crop frame over the entire item/image. I need to be able to see the finite edge of what I am cropping so that valuable information is not lost forever in the initial phase of transition from physical negative/print to a digital file. This is EXTREMELY important when arhiving. I know for a fact that information is being left on the "cut room floor" that I am unable to see when cropping especially from a negative conversion to positive. Please, I beg of you Adobe, integrate a loupe or magnifier into the crop tool for a super precise crop! This would be worth its weight in gold to all users out there! Let's really push this feature to be TOP PRIORITY!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2023 Jun 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using the Crop Straighten Tool (the little ruler) to set horizontals (or verticals) it would be helpful if the tool displayed the same little magnifying glass that appears when setting Transform guides, helping with exact placement. When clicking Crop the image zooms (out) to a size fitting the display, sometimes making it difficult to hit the right location for the ruler. Showing the small magnifying glass for tools where exact placement is requred would be helpful and consistent. 

Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 11.44.09.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Arne Rudi 

Any Crop by @johnrellis is the here and now solution to our needs.

I have been using it daily for the last months and I have basically never needed to use LrC post crop.

Not only se can crop while zoomed-in but also cropped while zoomed-out which I find incredibly useful as it allows to get a better sense of the crop compared to LrC or ACR.

With Any Crop it is not possible to resize the opposite edges at the same time, that feature is still only available via the Post Crop tool but it's only a matter of time before John adds it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded and installed AnyCrop - It's got a lot of other stuff I don't know if I'll use but I can confirm the 'Adjust' section gives you a little popup that gives you exactly what you need to zoom in on your cropping, using whatever zoom setting you choose for your Develop window. Many thanks for letting everyone know about that one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that's fine but I pay for Lightroom and this is a tool that EVERYONE wants - rather than paying for a 3rd party subscription (albeit 'pay what you feel its worth') it should be that Adobe want to build tools their fan base want?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2023 Jul 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot believe that a simple zoom window pop-up for the corner/edge being cropped has literally been pleaded for now going on 12 years, and is ignored.  This is my main gripe with the software.  Any app I have on my phone that does cropping has it, but one of the foremost pieces of photo software does not.  This isn't just a fail, but it's a historical record of fail for all to see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2023 Aug 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did they not add this yet? I am beyond frustrated, all I want to do is crop my artwork off its white wall. I just want to be able to see my corners better, like the loupe zoom in the straighten tool. I thought it used to be a crop in the transform straighten tool, but must have rememebered wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2023 Aug 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

agreed

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2023 Aug 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started my trial subscription just yesterday. I've been shooting RAW for only about half a year, and I started out using free open-source software (not sure if mentioning any specific apps by name is allowed on this proprietary forum).

Unfortunately, this means that even as a total beginner I'm already spoiled by the convenience of Adobe's free open-source competition. The Transform tools in the free software alternative are instantly intuitive, convenient and pixel precise  -- even if you're totally new to RAW image processing. I managed to perfectly and precisely crop, rotate and straighten an image on my very first try, been 100% happy with it ever since.

At first I thought that I must surely have overlooked something in Lightroom because it simply cannot be true that you can't zoom in while using the crop tool in Lightroom. But then I found this thread, which dates back more than a decade (!!!), and Adobe still hasn't solved this very very very easy to solve issue.

This isn't even the first massive shortcoming of Adobe products vs. its free open-source competition, but it's a total red flag. At this rate, I'm definitely going to cancel my Adobe subscription, spend some of the money on a speedlight instead and donate the rest to the RAW software project of my choice. This is truly just unbelievable. How did this half-baked excuse for a crop "tool" ever get greenlit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom need the ability to zoom while cropping.

I saw a thread of 2012 that ask for that feature... We are now in 2023 !!!  We are still waiting...
I saw that there is a plugin "Any crop" that exist.  If someone can make that plugin, Adobe should be able to add it to its software !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Magnifying Glass gadget for precise cropping

Magnifying Glass gadget to the Crop tool, similar to the Guided Vertical Position tool will be essencial for some types of work, such as photographing artworks

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2023 Nov 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Users have been pleading, begging, screaming, and cursing lighjtroom for 10-1/2 years now for this simple fix that nearly every other editing ap has had for those 10-1/2 years.

So, it looks like Adobe will just continue to ignore all the users. I wonder how many have abandonded LR/PS for ogther software. It is about to become one more.

I lost count of the threads on Reddit vides on YouTube etc. that are complaining about this for over 10 years.

Come on Adobe, gety of yopur fat ******* and listen to the people who are funding you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simply ignoring the issue for 10 years is totally lame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 17, 2024 Mar 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:)  I often zoom in while looking at a photo in the Develop section of Lightroom Classic.  Sometimes I want to crop it right from where it is zoomed in.  Is there a way (or short cut command) that I can just crop what I am looking at when I zoom in on a photo?  WIthout selecting the crop area becasue when I bring it into the Crop selection it loses the zoomed in portion I had.  I have a Macbook Pro. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a popular feature request, because it cannot be done right now.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As @JohanElzenga has already indicated, it's not possible at present but is a popular request. There's a thread in 'Ideas' with 126 votes. I'll merge your thread with that one.

Remember to vote

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it still not possible to zoom while cropping in 2024?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2024 Apr 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As of  3 April 2024, it's still not possible to zoom while cropping. 

Votes

Translate

Translate