• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Sorting and filter in import dialog

Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2011 Jun 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I frequently work a job that requires JPGs on site and raw files for post the next day. I have to work fast and would like to be able to sort images on my card by file type, so I can quickly import the JPGs for immediate output to 4x6 proofs. A subsequent step is to copy the raw files to a separate folder for processing after the job is over.

Currently I'm directing LR's import dialog to look at the desktop that has no images, then sorting and selecting by file type in my OS file browser, and dragging the selected JPGS onto the LR dialog window, where their status is "checked". The raw files on the same card show as unselected/unchecked in the dialog window, interspersed with the selected JPG files. It's a little busy and hard to quickly see that I have all the desired files selected for import.

Could you just make a sort by "file type" option in the import dialog that would group and separate the JPGs from the raw files? Thanks... Tom Meyer

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
52 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2016 Oct 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree! Professional photographer here using Adobe products for years! This is such an obvious need to tell the import box to sort by file extension before importing. Please!!! Looks like people have been asking for this for YEARS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2016 Oct 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we have... and been ignored for years. Very Comcast like behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2016 Nov 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

including allowing or ignoring multiple file types.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5 years since this thread started and still no easy way to select only raw or JPEG files to import from a card in the latest Lightroom CC (Lightroom version: CC 2015.10 [ 1111918 ]). I understand that a "select RAW only" option could be tricky to implement but surely a "sort by file type" would be fairly easy, here already being a dropdown to select sort type and code to apply the sort. Surely adding another sort order is fairly trivial, particularly one based on file type (or extension). Being able to sort by file type, allowing contiguous selection of all JPEG or raw files is all we really need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's already a "sort by file type" option in the Library module. Why it's not easily added to the Import dialog is a mystery to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom, I just added a very similar request. I'm sure it will be rolled into this one, but I figure the more the merrier. This is a really simple idea that should have been implemented years ago. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please allow users to filter photos in the Import dialogue box by file type, date captured, camera & lens used. 

This would be a quick and easy way to only import JPEGs or RAW files, quickly locate and import the images on a card/drive from a specific date or camera, etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Andy... see you back here in another 5 years!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe how long this has been requested, this should be in LR already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got it! I found a work around to quickly select only the RAWs when import to Lightroom.

First you have to enable the "Treat JPEG files next to Raw files as separate photos." option in Lightroom preferences. Next, when importing, don't use the "Import..." button to start the process, instead go to your SD card on Finder (or whatever source) and sort by Kind and select only the RAWs, then drag the RAW files and drop them on the Lightroom icon on the Dock, this will make Lightroom initiate the import process with only the RAWs selected! That's it!

This has been tested on a Mac, as this is what I use, on Windows you probably would have to select the RAWs and use the right click Open With.. context menu option, but I can't confirm it since a don't have a Windows computer with Lightroom installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For reference by future readers:  LR 7 added a File Type sort order to the Sort menu in the toolbar at the bottom of the Import window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ratings given in bridge are not visible in lightroom import process. Bridge is easy to preview and select, it would be convenient if the selected pictures can be imported to lightroom. How can it be done?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First up, you may receive some negative reply's as to using Bridge at all.

So as a preemptive reply, For and against Bridge.

see:

https://lightroomkillertips.com/adobe-bridge-for-lightroom-classic-people/

No, I do not think that link talks to your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These edits in Bridge. Before or after importing into LrC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At GoldingD, I do not believe there was any definitive resolution in the link. I am not sure if there is any to have LrC work with Bridge. To wit Lightroom Classis is an alternative to Bridge / Camera Raw. When working with Lightroom the info is in the Catalog and with Bridge / Camera Raw the info is in the file. If the info is in the file at the time of import LrC should capture the metadata. Just my thoughts.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you can see the ratings during the import, but you should be able to see them after you import. Is that working for you? Can you be more specific about your workflow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a simple way to do this (on a Mac; I am not sure if this works in Windows because some drag-and-drop operations are not supported in Windows, but I can’t remember which ones.)

Just filter your images in Bridge first. For example if you want to import only images rated 4 stars and up, use the filters in Bridge to restrict the Content panel to those files. Then, all you have to do is drag and drop the filtered images to Lightroom Classic, and the Import dialog box will appear with just those images.

Some background, just to describe how using Bridge and Lightroom Classic together is manageable if you know the workflow:

Bridge and Lightroom Classic share the same metadata model; the metadata is easily exchangeable through XMP sidecar files. Lightroom Classic will read Bridge metadata on import, although none of the metadata is displayed in the Import dialog box except the file name and capture date. After import, any metadata changes in Lightroom Classic will be seen by Bridge if you first select those files and use the Save Metadata to Files command in Lightroom Classic. Similarly, any metadata changes made in Bridge will be seen in images already imported into Lightroom Classic if you select those files and choose the Read Metadata From Files command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ratings given in bridge are not visible in lightroom import process. Bridge is easy to preview and select, it would be convenient if the selected pictures can be imported to lightroom. How can it be done?

The Lightroom Import dialog box does not display or sort by ratings. If you want to import only photos rated in Bridge, put LR in its grid mode, then select the images in Bridge and drag them into LR's grid (or onto the LR icon in the Mac dock). That fires up LR's Import dialog with those images selected.

In a Lightroom workflow there is little reason to use Bridge. For fast review, import everything into LR and choose the Embedded + Sidecar option. But as has been said, that is a different matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a simple way to do this (on a Mac; I am not sure if this works in Windows because some drag-and-drop operations are not supported in Windows, but I can’t remember which ones.)

By @Conrad C

Adobe failed to implement drag and dropping from LR on Windows. Drag and drop into LR is available on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Conrad and John for the clear and informative posts.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just now trying to do this too. The easiest solution that comes to mind is to separate rated images by folders in Bridge and then import those into LR separately. At least then you'll have some type of separation. Quick, lame fix instead of searching these forums for hours. Not gonna make the mistake of rating in Bridge again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderators, @Rikk Flohr: Photography, please merge this thread (which is about filtering by rating in the Import window) with this Idea:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/lightroom-sorting-and-filter-in-import-dialog... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of us now use the same camera for both film and video. This could be a digital camera or a drone for example. 

Both video and photos are saved to the same memory card, often in the same folder. When importing to Lightroom Classic you cannot filter out videos and therefore must import them or manually deselect them. 

Many video files are not supported or clutter my workflow. 

Please add the ability to filter out certain filetypes! 

Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both video and photos are saved to the same memory card, often in the same folder. When importing to Lightroom Classic you cannot filter out videos and therefore must import them or manually deselect them.
Many video files are not supported or clutter my workflow.

Please add the ability to filter out certain filetypes!

By @matthewt51045373 

Until Adobe adds that, for now you can at least sort the Import thumbnails by Media Type so that all videos are together, making it quick and easy to Shift-select across them. Specifically:

1. Sort by Media Type.

2. Click Uncheck All.

3. Click the first video and Shift-click the last video to select all videos.

4. Enable the check box in any selected video to enable it for all selected videos.

5. Click Import.

Lightroom-Classic-import-sort-by-media-type.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate