• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom iPad/iPhone Device overheats & brightness dims

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't found anything related to this in online searches, so i thought i would ask Lightroom users.

I have Lightroom mobile installed on my iPhone 7 and when i use it, the phone gets very hot. If the ambient temp is 90 or better (which happens quite often here in Florida), the phone will overheat and shut down after a while. I used it without that happening yesterday (ambient temps around 75), but the phone was still quite hot. I have a pretty thin Spigen case on the phone, and it doesn't get hot with anything other apps.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

Steve

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
iOS: iPhone , iPadOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Converting this to a bug just to be clear that we do acknowledge the reports here and have a ticket logged for the engineers to investigate.

Please share specific steps used when this occurs.

--- 

February 5, 2024 Update
[WORKAROUND]

Although it's not ideal, it may help if you enable ‘battery saver’ mode, which throttles the GPU then Lightroom performs much more slowly BUT the overheating/screen dimming issue no longer occurs.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 16, 2024 Mar 16, 2024

Updating Status to Investigating

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 162 Replies 162
162 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After today's update, the phone screen went out by one position after quickly processing 3-4 photos, even with masks, this is progress, a little more work and everything will work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating the iPhone 13 pro to iOS 15.3, Lightroom loads the processor and turns off the phone screen even when working with curves. It's a pity that you can't improve the quality of this product and step along with apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is extremely frustrating. To see how Adobe cares about improvements. This is an old going problem. Along with IOS devises overheating during editing. I have brightness and overheating issues with all my iPhones and iPads. Adobe replies to these issues are ridiculous. Some of the forum threads are from 2017, and year after year Adobe days "we know about the issues and we're fixing them". Hello, it's been 4 years!! (At least for me). You fixed NOTHING. Using Lightroom became a torture. Devices are extremely hot and brightness jumps up and down constantly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so frustrating! This is an old going problem. Along with IOS devises dimming the brightness in order to cool the device because it's extremely hot. I have brightness and overheating issues with all my iPhones and iPads. Adobe replies to these issues are ridiculous. It's been 4 years!! (At least for me). And nothing is fixed. Having these problems from device to device. Using Lightroom became a torture. Devices are extremely hot and brightness jumps up and down constantly. Extremely frustrated.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When editing RAW iPhone images in Lightroom Mobile my M1 iPad Pro 11 (128gb) gets hot. Is this expected behavior? I updated to iPadOS 16 public beta to see if the new Memory Swap feature (allowing apps to utilize internal memory as virtual RAM) would help and it seemed to lower the temperature a little. I'm concerned that Lightroom is going to damage my iPad. 

I have a similar issue on my iPhone 13 Pro when using Lightroom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This really needs to be resolved. The app is obsolete if the screen dims afer only a few minutes. @Charlie.D. Its not useable. Please fix. Snapseed does not face this issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please optimize the Lightroom application for Apple iPads running with the latest M2 chip. There's an over heating issue when using Lightroom in the latest Apple iPad pro M2 models. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you for reporting this.
Can you give us some kind of information on how long it takes for the overheating to occur and what you have been doing? 
E.g. worked with Raw images, what kind of editing, export, import?

Thanks,
Ignacio

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's happening during selective editing using masks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give us some more info if you are using many manually added masks or if you use a lot of the Adaptive presets?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. It's happening when I start using selective adjustments like adjustment brush. In my case, i didn't use any adaptive presets. The heating issue starts whenever I start to use the selective adjustments in Lightroom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it cause the iPad to shut down with an overheating message or does it just become really hot to the touch? Just curious

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It become hot to touch. That's it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely disagree with your statement. 5 years onwards and this is still a problem. As soon as I start Lightroom, the CPU on my brand new Lenovo P11 plus starts heating up to the point of becoming unbearable to hold within 15 minutes. Even though I'm just reviewing. The app is very cpu demanding and throttles it

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm concerned about damage as well. Wish a large corporation like Adobe would take this seriously 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchase this new 6th gen iPad Pro 12.9inch with the new m2 chip, terabyte hard drive and 16gb of ram. I have noticed an issue when running Lightroom and based on a quick search seems like it's been an issue with Adobe for like 5 years now... when running light room I input my photos directly into the iPad from an xqd to usb c card reader. All files are RAW images, import all photos intonlightroom and then get to work. After I get into about my third or fourth photo the screen will drop to about 50% brightness and I'll have to wait for maybe 2 or 3 minutes before it will come back up. Auto brightness is turned off and you can pull the drop down when this happens and see that screen brightness is turned all the way up. If I get into a photo with four or five layers it will happen even faster.  I can sit in LumaFusion editing 4k video for two hour and this will never happen. Five minutes into editing in Lightroom and my iPad feels like an oven. Also noticed this program seems to drain the battery down very rapidly. Seems like a poor use of hardware but I'm not engineer. Super frustrating to have a 2k dollar iPad that Adobe can't seem to work with? I would be more than happy to give more info about based on my Google search this appears to be a pretty well documented issue that has been going on for quite some time now... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post if it helps you get responses.

<moved from using the community bugs>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the Lightroom Community @JoshuaKlug. I'll help you figure this out. What version of iOS are you working on?

Log on to Lightroom Web (https://lightroom.adobe.com) & check for all the images that have synced & uploaded to the cloud. Once you're sure everything is backed up to the cloud, try reinstalling Lightroom & let me know how it goes.

Thanks!
Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running iPadOS 16.3.1. Tried the reinstall and it still does it. About ten minutes into editing the screen dims. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem when i edit raw file less 5 mins

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, gets hot very fast. Can only get a few minutes of editing in before its to hot and the screen starts dimming.  And the Battery drains extremely fast. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2023 Apr 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any update to this issue? Any solution? I am experiencing the same issue. My ipad pro 6th generation, with ios version 16.4.1, lightroom version 8.3.1 is dimming frequently while im editing photos. I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the lightroom app.

it is so frustrating that i cannot see the brightness accurately. Its really disappointing. Looking to use different photo editing software as an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2023 May 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also getting this and I'm absolutely furious having just spent a fortune on an M2 iPad. What is the point in Apple giving it a chip that's so powerful it can only be run for about 20 seconds in Lightroom before the screen dims to such a degree it is impossible to see what you are doing. The only workaround I've established so far is to use power saver mode but it still happens eventually. Not sure if this is Apple or Adobe's fault but Adobe need to do something about this even if it means introducing a setting in Lightroom that deliberately bottlenecks the CPU. Unnacceptable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate