• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom Desktop: Keyword autocompletion forgets capitalization (always lowercase)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I add a keyword such as "London" and then try to add it to a another photo, the autocomplete offered is "london" (with the lowercase "L"). How do I get Lightroom to autocomplete to the original capitalization?

I'm using Lightroom 4.2 on Mac.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Greetings,

The Max 2021 Photography products updates have been released and include remedies for this topic.  The updates will be rolling out worldwide, October 26 and 27, 2021. If you do not see the updates in your Creative Cloud Desktop app, you can refresh the apps to see if the updates are available in your region.  The keyboard shortcut to refresh is [Cmd/Ctrl] + [Opt/Alt] + [ R ]. 

Note: iOS and Android updates may take up to a week to appear in your App Store.

Thank you for your pat

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
10 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might reset preferences: 

Reset Procedure:

1. Close Lightroom.

2. Hold down [Alt/Opt]+[Shift] while restarting Lightroom.

3. Overwrite the Preferences when prompted by the dialog.

4. Close Lightroom.

5. Restart Lightroom.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Trying it now.

It appears to be moving all my originals from my external drive to my internal one. I'm not sure if it's wise to stop it, so I'm leaving it going, but I'm not sure that I have enough space. It would have been nice if it had asked or at least warned me that it was going to do this before it started!

Once it has finished, I'll put them all back on the external hard drive and then test the keywords autocomplete over the next week or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we are looking at changing the experience for a Preference reset to prevent it resetting the local storage location. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue as well so I followed this procedure too. The reset tried to move my images to my SSD C: drive and failed due to lack of space. I changed the Local Storage back to my data drive (just as Rob is doing). This did not change the keywording behavior. I'm not sure if it is because it failed on the movement of files and so did not reset the keywording but that could be the issue. 

The behavior in keywording is a bit weird. As Rob mentioned, the autofill will ignore any upper case letters and only present lower case options to select from. However, if I enter an upper case keyword, e.g., John Smith, for an image and go to another image and start entering a keyword by typing "joh" (omitting quotes), "John Smith" will appear as one of the keywords presented in the list. It will continue to be an option with capitalization until I exit Lightroom. The next time I open Lightroom and try to get "John Smith" as a keyword, only the lowercase "john smith" will be available unless I enter "John Smith" as a keyword then it will be available for the rest of the session. Thanks for your help Rikk and take care!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've now tested again after resetting prefererences and I see exactly the same as @tom_hunsinger.

Typing "London" into the keyword field for the first picture and it is not in the autocomplete list. Within the same session, on another picture, when I type "Lo", I see "London" (With the capital L) in the autocomplete dropdown.

I then close Lightroom and open it again.

Selecting the third picture, I type "Lo" into the keyword field and "london" (with a lowercase L) is shown as the autocomplete option. This is wrong as it should be "London" with an uppercase L.

I add "London" with the uppercase L to the third picture.

Selecting the fourth picture, I type "Lo" into the keyword field and both "london" (lowercase L) and "London" (uppercase L) are provided as autocomplete options. This is also wrong as there is not a single photograph in my collection with a keyword of "london" (lower case L).

Hopefully my step-by-step explanation helps reproduce.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that helps me reproduce. I have written a bug for the team. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help, Rikk! It is important that you know your work here is appreciated very much even though it is not often expressed by the people you help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

The Max 2021 Photography products updates have been released and include remedies for this topic.  The updates will be rolling out worldwide, October 26 and 27, 2021. If you do not see the updates in your Creative Cloud Desktop app, you can refresh the apps to see if the updates are available in your region.  The keyboard shortcut to refresh is [Cmd/Ctrl] + [Opt/Alt] + [ R ]. 

Note: iOS and Android updates may take up to a week to appear in your App Store.

Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this mean when I am using LR7.0.2 17 on my Ipad that adding the location code London to a picture it will will be remembered when on the next picture I type the letter L? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, I do use the Ipad but I was on my mac adding location info. 

Votes

Translate

Translate