Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edits to original photo file not updating in LR

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm a beginner user scanning 35mm negatives and importing them into LR and still finding a proper workflow. I understand the software is only a reference catalog to the original image. I want to remove film  scratches and such with PS but find the process quite tedious.

I tried to first import the images into LR and then from the software use the "edit in Photoshop function". This seems to work but upon saving the image in PS and closing the software the edited images automatically import into LR as a new image instead of replacing the previous image. Of course I can then delete the previous non-edited image but it doesn't seem too elegant especially if the edits are applied to a new image than LR creates upon export (as I understand it does when using the edit in Photoshop function).

I then tried to edit the actual original file in PS outside LR and saved it. I can't get the image with the edits to update in LR. I thought that the point of LR is that it references the actual original file? 

So in order to get around that I have to export the photo from LR (if I happen to have made edits in it), edit the image in PS, delete the LR image, then reimport the edited image? Sounds quite tedious. 

I guess what I'm asking is am I missing something in terms of a re-sync/update button that would get LR to notice the changes I just made to the image? How does the community deal with edits to the original file after import to LR?

The obvious solution to this is to scan (and edit in the scanner software) -> PS edit out all the scratches etc. -> then AND ONLY THEN at the last phase bring the image into LR as a management software utility. Sometimes you miss things and need to fix something afterwards however.. 

Thanks for your help. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To suggest an answer, there are some details that would help-

Scanning- using what?  Flatbed? Dedicated 35mm scanner? Camera?

Format of  scanned image files? raw (NEF, CR2,etc)? TIF? JPG?

Version Number of Lightroom? (Classic or Cloud?)

Be aware that you cannot 'change' (by editing) a 'raw' image file. By 'Opening' a raw file in Photoshop you must be creating a new derivative bitmap (RGB) file that is either PSD, TIF, JPG, PNG. So you will always have both  raw+bitmap images.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have done a considerable amount of scanning using a flatbed scanner and third-party scanning software. I'm not saying that my way of doing things is the preferred way, but I'm comfortable with how I do it. I have a set of default settings in Lightroom that are applied to the images when they are imported to Lightroom. Scanned images are scanned to a folder using the third-party scanning software, and then imported to Lightroom Classic in a separate process. I make adjustments as necessary to finish "processing" the images. Then I export copies (JPEG, TIF or whatever) to fit whatever project the finished images are needed for. I don't worry about trying to "force" any further use of the original images. This process works for me. It may not appeal to you. But I have processed in excess of 25,000 scanned images using this process and I'm happy with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines