• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change or move local storage to a different drive?

Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a dedicated SSD (D:) that I used to use for my LR Classic catalog and full size previews.

Since moving to LR CC, it insists on using my C: drive, leaving my SSD D: drive unused, and it runs my my C: drive low on space.

How do I change the drive that is used for local storage from C: to D:?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

You can change the location of the locally stored copy of originals via the Preferences>Local Storage tab.

However, you can't change the location of the local library that LRCC requires for its catalog and previews cache, that's fixed to the user's library (in AppData/Local on Windows, in Pictures on MacOS). The best you can do is set the photo cache size to the lowest % figure, but you can't eliminate the space usage completely.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really?
"once you have edited them then delete the photo from Lightroom itself. "
The idea of LR is to have everyphoto in place. Including labels, starts, folders. With the ability to share pics with others etc. Removing them photos from LR makes this software almost useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated, there is no way to do this in the Lightroom settings. However, it is possible to set up symbolic link to redirect Lightroom's directory to another location. I found the solution here:

https://techgenix.com/folder-redirections-in-windows/

I recommend reading this page before trying this so you understand how it works!

Here's what I did.

1. I created a new folder on my D: drive:  D:\Lightroom\Appdata\Local

2. I navigated to Lightroom's directory, which on Windows is:

C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Adobe\Lightroom CC\Data

3. I copied the contents of the Lightroom directory to my new folder on the D: drive

4. I renamed the Lightroom directory from ...\Data to ...\Data.Save

5. I opened an "elevated" (run as admin) command prompt and entered this command:

mklink /J "C:\Users\greyn\AppData\Local\Adobe\Lightroom CC\Data" "D:\Lightroom\Appdata\Local"

Now Lightroom thinks I have a very large C: drive.

The MacOS equivalent of mklink is ln, but I don't know how it's used. Maybe a Mac user can add the procedured here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can reduce the size of "Lightroom Catalog Previews" which normally takes a lot space on your local drive. Change the location of your Camera Raw Cache to your external drive (go to Preferences > Performance > Camera Raw Cache Settings). Then build standard previews for all your photos (Library > Previews > Build Standard-Sized Previews).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can reduce the size of "Lightroom Catalog Previews" which normally takes a lot space on your local drive. Change the location of your Camera Raw Cache to your external drive (go to Preferences > Performance > Camera Raw Cache Settings). Then build standard previews for all your photos (Library > Previews > Build Standard-Sized Previews).

This thread is about the cloud-centric Lightroom app, your instructions are for the Lightroom Classic app which works in a different way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2022 Jun 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned on here by others, LR CC doesn't allow you via settings to change where the "previews" folder is (aren't able to set it to a non C drive). I did find a workaround by setting up a symlink (called a directory junction by windows). A symlink (short for symbolic link) is like a shortcut for files and folders. Basically you create a "previews" folder on a different drive, delete your "previews" folder on your C:\ drive then you you create the symlink via the windows command prompt (have to run in administative mode).

Detailed Instructions:

1) Delete your current "previews" folder. Should be located in similar type path:

C:\Users\John Doe\AppData\Local\Adobe\Lightroom CC\Data\e96316ca204f4c848aac8ac9a0f7955a\previews

2) Create a new "previews" folder in your non C: drive. Here's where I created mine:

E:\Program Files\Adobe Lightroom CC\previews

3) Open a command prompt in admin mode. In windows 10, the easest way is to search for CMD in the search bar, right click and run as Administrator

4) Run this command (updating the pathnames to match where your "previews" folders were/are stored:

mklink /J "C:\Users\John Doe\AppData\Local\Adobe\Lightroom CC\Data\e96316ca204f4c848aac8ac9a0f7955a\previews" "E:\Program Files\Adobe Lightroom CC\previews"

You should see a "Junction created" message in the command window. You should also see in your app data folder on your C: a "previews" folder show up with a small arrow to show it's a junction. Now Lightroom will rebuild your previews and store them on the othe r drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked perfectly thanks @Kyle22103805kagg 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines