Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to modify a file in photoshop without affecting lightroom settings

Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a workflow rundown.
I have a batch of files that I imported into lightroom (straightening), edited in Photoshop (background removal), and made some final adjustments to in Lightroom (colour).
My initial process for background removal included the manual inclusion of a pure white background (as per client request), now the clients wants a transparent background. How do I make a modification in Photoshop without affecting the final lightroom settings?

If I open the original or a copy of the original, I don't get any lightroom adjustments in photoshop and the act of turning off the white layer and saving will automatically revert the lightroom settings to nothing; as you know opening the "copy with lightroom adjustments" flattens the whole image defeating the purpose. I tried saving the lightroom metadata to the file with ctrl+S to no avail.

Does anyone have any idea on how to solve this problem?

I hope I clearly laid out the issue,
Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Assuming Lightroom-CLASSIC, (we are in the Lightroom forum).

I will try an explanation for Lightroom-CLASSIC-

1) Your camera file is the "Camera Original"

2) You do some editing in Lightroom (Lr-Session #1)

3) When you [Edit-in Photoshop]  (Ps-Session #1) the file that is created is the "Photoshop ORIGINAL" (ie. a new PSD/TIF layered original)

4) Now when you do more editing on this "Photoshop ORIGINAL" in Lightroom  (Lr-Session #2) you are adding more 'text only' data to the editing history i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming Lightroom-CLASSIC, (we are in the Lightroom forum).

I will try an explanation for Lightroom-CLASSIC-

1) Your camera file is the "Camera Original"

2) You do some editing in Lightroom (Lr-Session #1)

3) When you [Edit-in Photoshop]  (Ps-Session #1) the file that is created is the "Photoshop ORIGINAL" (ie. a new PSD/TIF layered original)

4) Now when you do more editing on this "Photoshop ORIGINAL" in Lightroom  (Lr-Session #2) you are adding more 'text only' data to the editing history in the Lightroom Catalog.

5) If you take this Ps image back to Photoshop (for Ps-Session #2) you must select the [Edit Original] ** in the dialog that appears. (any option to include Lightroom Adjustements will flatten the Ps file and destroy layers, etc)

ScreenShot184.jpg

6) After (Ps-Session #2) you [Save] the Photoshop image, and back in Lightroom you may see the (Lr-Session #2) edits re-appear * on the Photoshop file.

*Note: if the (Lr-Session #2) edits do not automatically re-appear- in the Develop History panel you can click on the very last (top) adjustment in History, and this would restore the (Lr-Session #2) edits. (My desktop DOES automatically. My Laptop does NOT!!!- difference un-explained)

**Note: Selecting [Edit a Copy] does not allow restoring Lr edits. (it has no 'History'!)

So in Summary- Always [Edit Original], and select last History step back in Lr Develop.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Wobert,
sorry for the late reply. Yes, I am talking about Lightroom Classic.
The workflow that you explained is absolutely the correct one and is the one I was using myself.
Unfortunately, the key modification I was trying to make in Photoshop was to remove a white background and leave the transparency underneath. As it turns out just saving the tiffs does not seem to impart the transparency to the file, I would go back to Lightroom, export the image and I would still see the white background I had removed in Photoshop, hence the confusion.

In addition, the inconsistency in the Lightroom adjustments being visible when I got back into Lightroom from Photoshop aided to the confusion and I thought that the problem resided in the Lightroom side.
If I "Save As" in Photoshop and check the "preserve transparency" box, it transfers to Lightroom and everything is fine.
I would have thought that the transparency would have been saved by default, but unless I have some weird setting, I guess that would be the way to work around it.

Thank you for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines