• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with tethered shooting on chrome book?

Advocate ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot a full frame D850 and want a larger review screen in studio and in front of clients.  I now use a couple of different monitors, neither works very fluidly.  I would like to have Lr capability at shoots, only for review, not to enter images into my catalog. I do sorting in a third party app prior to importing into Lr. I don't want to buy and maintain another computer, I have a vey high end Windows desktop. One computer is enough. And I've no interest in wireless, it's too slow for my files. 

I see Chromebooks are getting cheaper, seem to work with Lr mobile and now inexpensive ones (Amazon has one today for $229) have 1080p screens, anyone know how fast they are with large files, can they support a second monitor, can I add an SSD and if total memory is an issue? Again, just to review as I shoot, not sync with my catalog. 

Thanks.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might not be reading your question correctly, but it sounds as though you simply want to preview images on a larger screen and not import files into Lightroom. If so, Lightroom always needs to import files. Have you tried using the basic Nikon software that came with your D850?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Joseph.

I can see images using an external monitor, I do that now. It's too slow and clunky.  I used to use Lr on an older Mac Mini, but it's too slow and the OS is no longer updatable. 

I want to use Lr, but not import into the Lr catalog I store images in. I don't use cc, and have no plans to.   I will import to the laptop, examine images, let clients watch on an attached monitor, then simply delete the files after each shoot and go to my standard flow.  In my desktop I use a third party app to sort, then put the image on a dedicated internal drive and import the files  into Lr.

The two computers won't ever see each other on a network, nor share anything.

I was wondering if anyone had used Lr with a Chromebook for tethered shooting with 50MB raws. The next full frame Nikon is rumored to be 65MB, so speed is a concern. 
I don't need other apps or even Windows on the device, it's for image review only. Getting a second Mac or Windows computer is just more software to buy and keep current. Ugh. 

thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines