Exit

Lightroom Mobile Mess

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

maybe someone could shed some light into the Lightroom Mobile mess 🙂

I have a lot of questions regarding disk space used. Set-up is iPad Pro with Lightroom Mobile, also iMac with Classic with normal Adobe Subscription.

If I import RAWs directly into Lightroom Mobile on the iPad (when I´m on vacation):

1. are the RAWs on the iPad and stay the RAWs on the iPad?

2. once synced with the Cloud, are the RAWs in original version in the cloud? And stay the RAW on the iPad? Or is only the Smart Preview left on the iPad and the Original in the cloud?

3. How could I see which Version is on the iPad? Original or Smart Preview?

4. I have also linked Image.Canon to Lightroom and my Adobe ID (cloud). If the Camera (EOS R5) automatically uploaded the RAW, it is in the Image.Canon cloud and will be pushed automatically to the Adobe Cloud. After this, I do have a seperate folder in Lightroom classic with all Image.Canon files. I then have moved the RAW file into one of my hard drives connected to the iMac and erased the images from the Image.Canon. But if I export this exact file on the iPad as original it could still be exported as RAW - even the Ipad do not have the RAW on the disk (but it downloaded from the cloud). Does this mean I have it now twice? One time in the Adobe Cloud and one time on my Harddrive?

5. How could I distinguish in Lightroom if its the Smart Preview only or on the Ipad or in the Cloud? Or is this not possible?

I would be 100% clear if I could arrange a mobile workflow which is not filling up my iPad quickly!

Many thanks.

Regards,

Bernhard

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One addition to point 4 above: The album in which the Fotos in Classic are, is synced with the cloud to have it also on the iPad. But if I search for the original in Classic it points to the original RAW on the hard disk on my iMac. But as described above, if I want to export the original on the iPad it also does export the original RAW. On Image.Canon I have already erased the photos but in the Adobe cloud they are still stored as the original including the flag "Image.Canon". For photos which are not imported via Image.Canon it says "iMac" in the info.

Thats why I´m wondering - its really confusing what filles up my storage on the iPad and on the Cloud etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can answer the first 3 questions, but I don't really understand point 4, specifically the interaction with Image.Canon and the subsequent interaction with Lightroom Classic:

1. The Raws are on the iPad initially, until they have been synced to the Adobe Cloud. After that, they should eventually be removed in accordance with some internal rules which are meant to take the amount of free space on the device into account. However, you can expedite that by using the "Clear Cache" command when you are sure they have all synced.

2. Yes, once synced the Raws are in the cloud....and it's the images in the cloud that are the "masters". But the images on the iPad will remain there at least in the short term as I explained above.

3. Select an image on the iPad and tap the Cloud icon top right. That will tell you what is in the Cloud and what is stored on the local device.

Regarding 4, you'll need to explain more about the Image.Canon/Classic workflow. However, if you export as original on the iPad, the original will be downloaded from the cloud (if only the smart preview was stored locally), so then you will have 2 copies of it on the iPad, the original in LrMobile, and the exported copy either in your camera roll or files, unless you are sharing it to an external service.

Another point to note, if you are syncing a Classic catalog, any new files added to the Cloud from one of the cloud apps, such as LrMobile, will also automatically download into Classic in the same original format. So at that point you will have the original in the cloud, on the hard drive on your Classic system, and maybe still on the iPad. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

thanks for your lengthy feedback.

1-3 is more understandable as before but do I have the chance if I have every Master RAW in the cloud to back them up on any of my harddrives? Export as Original? Then it will download the RAW from the cloud to one of my drives, correct?

Under point 1 you have written: "that the original big file will be EVENTUALLY" be removed in accordance with some internal rules (Lightroom / Adobe rules?). 

But I could not sort wheather in Lightroom Mobile nor in Classic for all photos for which the Master is only in the Cloud? Your tip under point 3 is fine, but I have to check this for every single picture.

Regarding my point 4: that is really special as I do not know the interface between Image.Canon Service and Lightroom / Adobe ID. But it looks like the do not only push a Smart Preview to Mobile devices but always the original RAW. But if I think about this a little bit more, it makes sense. But now I do have a folder synced in Classic with my mobile devices. And normally only the Smart Preview will be synced. But if this has come from Image.Canon, also the original RAW was transferred to Mobile which wastes now my space and I´m not able to remove only the original from the iPad.

Thats frustrating 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding 4: If I remove one of the photos which was synced with the cloud and also was synced on the iPad but as "Lokal Original - CR3" and Cloud-backup "Original - CR3" it was removed from the iPad. If I re-add this to the synced folder it is visible again on the iPad but yet again as "Lokal Original - CR3" and Cloud-backup "Original - CR3". That drives me crazy 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding the problem after removing one of the photos, how exactly did you remove it? From Classic, from Lightroom? Did you just remove it from an album, or did you delete it from the Cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim, thanks again. I have removed the photo only from the album. Which then causes the photo to dissapear from the iPad. I thought it will then, when I re-add it, only sync the Smart-Preview. But I have to delete it completely I guess.

Thanks.

Bernhard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No...when you remove an image from an album, that image is still there, and you can see it in All Photos. Understand that images in the cloud do not have to be in albums, so removing one from an album does not remove it from the cloud. If you want to remove an image from your iPad, you have to delete it from the cloud. If you just want to remove the original from the iPad, but keep it in the cloud, use the "Clear Cache" command (either on a per album basis, or globally using the main Settings menu)....but only after you are sure all images on the iPad have been uploaded to the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Backing up the cloud originals to a local hard drive:

1. You could turn on the preference in the Lightroom desktop app to "Store a copy of all originals locally", but that's not a true backup in the sense that if you delete an image from the cloud, it's also deleted from the local copy.

2. "Export as Original" would work, but it's a manual thing that you'd have to keep remebering to do.

3. If you are using Classic as well, and it sounds as though you are, don't forget that any original in the cloud is also automatically downloaded into your synced catalog's library on your hard drives. So if you are backing up the images in the Classic catalog (which you should be!), then you are automatically backing up the originals in the cloud. That's the approach that I take....I sync all my images to the cloud in original format, but as I also sync Classic as well, all the cloud images are backed up by my regular Classic library backup process.

Removal of stored originals on LrMobile: yes, those rules would be Lightroom's rules. But check your LrMobile settings, make sure that "Only Download Smartt Previews" is enabled, as that should help keep the number of local originals to a minimum.

Masters/Originals in the Cloud: the Lightroom desktop app provides a filter (Filter Bar>Sync Status) which will tell you how many files are in the cloud in Original form, and how many are Smart Previews synced from Classic.

As I said, I can't help with the Image.Canon issue, as I don;t use it and don't therefore know how it is supposed to work in relation to Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines