• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Olympus ORF file import

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had Lightroom 3 for quite a long time and with the purchase of my Olympus OM-D-E-M10-III

I have discovered the issue of not being able to import the ORF files.

Please advise on what my options are to overcome this problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So which Version 3?   Lightroom 3 from 2009? or Lightroom (for the Cloud) v3?

And what is a "long time"? 🙂

Your camera has had support for a "considerable time" 🙂 -

If your system does not exceed these requirements you will need to upgrade.

ScreenShot276.jpg

ie. Lightroom (Cloud) v1.0

Lightroom (Standalone) v6.2

Lightroom v2015.2  - Now called Lightroom-Classic.

If your system DOES exceed these requirements, then something is amiss with the Import.

You will need to provide more details and error messages.

And there is a DNG option if needed.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response.

I can't find a year in my program but I believe I downloaded it in 2009.

The system Info reads;

Lighroom Version 3.6 ( Just did the upgrade to 3.6 yesterday, still doesn't work)

Version: 6.2

Although I have a web connection, the program tells me I haven't a web connection when I attempt to find upgrades.

I see Olympus owners use Lightroom so I'm trying to determine how I can make this work.

Is my program upgradable or should I subscribe to the monthly lightroom subscription?

Terry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The version numbers you are reporting are still a bit confusing. If you can look at the help/about Lightroom, and report the exact version number that is listed then it will help us identify what it is you are actually using, and what needs to be done. If you could post a screenshot of the first 10 lines of the listing of your system in the Lightroom "About" feature, that would really be best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the "System Info"

Lightroom version: 3.6 [795620]
Operating system: (Build 9200)
Version: 6.2 [9200]
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Physical processor count: 2
Processor speed: 2.5 GHz
Built-in memory: 3062.2 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 3062.2 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 114.3 MB (3.7%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 119.4 MB
Memory cache size: 0.0 MB
System DPI setting: 96 DPI
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 1920x1080
Serial Number: 116040071390775048597122

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a very old (as in ancient) version of Lightroom. However, in checking the list of supported cameras, the camera model you have cited should be supported for the ORF files. There are no updates available, and there is no support from Adobe for that version of Lightroom. There are no avenues to update to any other standalone versions of Lightroom either. Your only update/upgrade option at this point would be to subscribe to the photography plan which is $9.99/month in the US, and entitles you to install Lightroom Classic and Photoshop on your computer. However, I don't believe your computer meets the specs to handle the new software.

Having said all this, the version that you have should support the raw files from your camera. What happens when you try to import them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim I didn't save the message posted when I couldn't import. I'd have to do it again. I think it said something like it doesn't support the "orf" format.

Jim where could I find the specs I require to get the new LR?

My new laptop may be the answer, but I probably should look at some sort of remote storage options for a laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the specs req'd for LR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So- Lightroom v3.6 Perpetual!  (yes- Ancient!)

Your only way to use your raw ORF files with this version is to Convert them to DNG with the Adobe DNG Converter software.

DNG LEGACY SUPPORT

Digital Negative (DNG)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help guys.

Of late I enrolled in some courses which have inspired me to advance my photography skills. 

Over the years I know I have not utilized the LR program to it's potential, but now through these courses I look forward to do so.

What are your thoughts on obtaining the new LR versus learning more on my existing LR and utilizing that more.

Terry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless I'm doing something wrong, I see now the process of converting and getting into LR is a multi step process.

Am I correct that once I convert the files I then have to import them into LR?

Not very fluid. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the DNG Converter is not part of Lightroom, it is separate software.

You run DNG Converter and select a FOLDER of ORF files to convert. Do NOT select individual files!

When converted you can open Lightroom and Import the DNG files.

"Not very fluid"  Well this is your free Legacy Support from Abobe for your very old software!

What are your thoughts on obtaining the new LR

"thoughts"- if you are referring to Lightroom-CLASSIC then 'fantastic'. Only Lr-Classic is an upgrade for your v3.6

If you are referring to 'Lightroom (Cloud based)', then only you can decide. It is a totally different system.

For a comparison see here- https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-cc-vs-classic-features/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your input.

Sounds like LR-Classic suits me.

Just have to ensure my PC will handle it.

Thanks again

Terry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines