• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re-import photos on lightroom cc

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2018 Jul 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to re-import photos previously imported in lightroom cc? I have gone in to edit my product photos this morning and the photos I need aren't there so I must have accidently deleted them... I have attached my camera to import again and the photos are blacked out with 'previously added' on them when I hover over with my mouse. I have right clicked and the option to 'import this' is there but it doesn't do anything when I click on it. any help would be much appreciated, I don't have time to re-take photos!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 07, 2018 Jul 07, 2018

If Lightroom says 'previously added', then that should mean the photos are still in Lightroom. You haven't deleted them, just hidden them from view somehow. Check if you don't have any active filters.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2023 Aug 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you manage to rename the files? I have a large number of greyed pics spread across my recents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Lightroom Catalog and delete the photos you want to import again. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that I have previously deleted them from the catalogue but LR still thinks they are there, even though it's not displaying them 🤷‍:female_sign:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if I uncheck 'Don't import suspected duplicates' it's fine...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works for me as well 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked for me.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no "filter" blocking the files from view... the truth is that Lightroom developers do not recognize the authority of the end-user to add a file when the end-user says it's appropriate.  Lightroom will not allow the re-import.  If you delete the Adobe database, re-import will be allowed.  Of course, you've screwed yourself with regard to all other things in the database that make the program work with regard to your other pics. In the Classic version, there is an option to ignore previously imported files, so you could possibly do it that way but then you are no longer in CC.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are people saying that if you delete an image from Lightroom Cloud (just making sure since some of the posts here seem to talk about Classic) and then try to import that same image again, it will refuse to import it? If so that is a bug. It should only refuse to import if the image is actually in the Lightroom Cloud library and then it should just be a quick search away.

In Classic, you can always force the reimport of an image by unchecking the "do not import suspected duplicates" checkbox.

Update:

I just tested deleting an image from Lightroom Cloudy and subsequently reimporting it and it reimported it just fine. If you see anything else, I am almost 100% certain the image is indeed already in your cloud library. Could be a bug that only manifests in rare circumstances but I would urge to go to "All Photos" and search for the filename in the search bar. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there are different scenarios.  In my case (and others) is a brand new image to be imported on LRcc. LightroomCC says "previously imported" even when it has never been imported at all.  LR grays out the image alone without possibility to select it for import. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! That really only should happen if the filenames are the same and all the capture data (capture time and date) is the same. One thing to always do is to make sure your camera is set to sequentially number and to not restart numbering every time you reformat the memory card to avoid false positives based on filename. You should also make sure that the file's metadata does not get stripped at any stage before you import. I just tested with two different files that I named exactly the same and they get imported just fine. Of course that is because the capture time and date metadata is not the same even though the filenames are the same. 

If you get the message that it is already there while the actual image really is not there, this can only happen if your filename is identical AND if the capture time and date are identical (or have been stripped from the file).

That said, Adobe should really provide an override for this behavior like it does in Classic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting closer to a solution! But no.  The files do not have the same name, but they are one after the other, the time is almost the same, so this part makes a bit of sense.  I shoot fast moving subjects. This is a problem.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! I think this is a long standing bug. Lightroom does not store the capture time at a high enough resolution and will think that two almost identical times only a fraction of a second apart are the same if they were shot using the same camera and everything is the same except the filename perhaps. So I have read about it showing up with very high rep rate cameras. It is actually even possible that the camera itself does not store the capture time precise enough to distinguish. I have read about this bug but never encountered it myself as it is not my kind of photography (and I predominantly use Classic as it is lightyears better for almost any kind of photography). It is worthwhile to post this as a bug on https://feedback.photoshop.com . On this forum you won't find Adobe engineers, just fellow users.

Adobe really should provide an override for cases such as this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was super helpful tho. Thanks!  Is the only forum that address something similar. Will jump to that link. Ty. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @farahstop

Hey there! We were previously helping you via Twitter. I've read over the thread and would like to ask a few questions before reaching out to the Lightroom team for help. 

• Did the issues start with an update, or has this been happening since you started using Lightroom? 
  • Do you have the same issue when adding photos from other devices such as Lightroom web or on your mobile device?
  • Can you share screenshots of when you try to import an image?
  • Can you share your System Info? You can find this by going to Help  > System Info. 

Best, 

Careeeesa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Careeesa, can I DM you for this.  I have client photos, I wouldn't want to share screenshots of em in a forum.  I as happening again right now.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for the delay. Yes, you can DM the information requested above. 

Best, 

Careeeesa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved it, cancel the attempted import of the darkened thumbnails of the photos. Then clicl on File, then Catalog, then Last photos imported. Then Develop on the upper/right side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I FOUND THE EASIEST WAY! Trust me, I know how frustrating it is to import the photos, have something occur where you had to delete them, go to re-upload again....only to have it say "previously added" even though you've deleted the original pics and they're nowhere to be found in Lightroom

Here's what I did:

Go to where the original RAW pictures are stored...mine were on my hard drive

Select all your pictures and left click

Hit RENAME ITEMS

Type in part of the original name of the picture(s) - for instance, mine all had the word Hyperlapse in the name

In the "Replace With" section, change the original name of the file(s) to something else (Example: I changed "Hyperlapse" to "New Pics" - you can change this to whatever you want)

Reupload newly titled pic(s) to Lightroom

This worked for me and it saved me a LOT of time and stress.  Let me know if it did for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, that's essentially what I did as well. I went into the folder where I wanted to import from and just renamed all of the files it wouldn't import...I can not believe how stupid of a bug we have to work around for such an established program...it's hard working with a small independant company like Adobe. But it's nice to support the little guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have found the solution. Simply copy all photos and paste in the same folder containing the old files. My MacBook automatically renamed them to 'copy of original' so they are technically new files. Now when I open up Lightroom CC it recognizes them as new files and am able to import them! 

Just to clarify, my issue was that I could not import files that were already imported before (decided to do this when LR CC could not find my original files). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2023 Aug 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that worked for me as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines