Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Removing photos from cloud

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Today I had an update to Lightroom CC and now I have both Lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic.

I've tried the new Lightroom CC, imported photos, created an album & the photos have now been upload to the cloud storage.

It now tells me that my cloud storage space is full.

Well, mulling it over I've decided that the new Lightroom CC is not for me.& I'd prefer just to use what has now been renamed as Ligthroom Classic.

My question is: how do I remove all my photos from the cloud?

There seems to be no way to this without deleting the photos from disk as well, which obviously I do not want to do.

Any suggestions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

All Photos will not select all Photos it's only used to display all of the photos that are in different albums/ collections on one page. If you want to delete multiple images together, you can click on Album on left side then click on the gear icon located bleow every album and you'll see an option to delete that album.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an incorrect answer. It clearly states on the adobe lightroom website when you delete an album it DOES NOT delete the photos. It simply removes the organizational aspect of them being in an album. This continues the saga of Adobe Lightroom CC being nothing more nor less than RANSOMWARE in which Adobe having having seduced their unwitting customers into uploading their images to the Adobe server, refuses to delete them from that server without threatening to delete them from every device the original copyright owner of the photos has synced with the Adobe cloud. Instead they want their customers to feel compelled to buy more storage space on their server and to continue to pay their subscription fee. What would happen to the Adobe subscriber's photos if they ever decided to end their subscription to Adobe Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

walmon01  wrote

This continues the saga of Adobe Lightroom CC being nothing more nor less than RANSOMWARE in which Adobe having having seduced their unwitting customers into uploading their images to the Adobe server, refuses to delete them from that server without threatening to delete them from every device the original copyright owner of the photos has synced with the Adobe cloud.

The Delete dialog is correct that when you delete photos from the cloud, they're also removed from the other Lightroom clients. That's a very valuable warning! But there's nothing to stop you moving the photos on your computer's hard drive to an unmanaged location of your choice, and then delete the photos from the cloud.

When you end your subscription, the photos are retained in the cloud for a year unless you choose to delete them, so you have plenty of time to download them to your computer either through the Lightroom apps or the separate downloader tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My response was not that the delete dialogue was incorrect. Rather I was pointing out that in the response previously given in which the user was told that by deleting albums it would delete the photos within those albums was and remains an incorrect response. In order to delete photos from the Lightroom server, one must delete them one at a time. As you have astutely observed in your answer, in order for the user and copyright holder of the photos to delete them from the Adobe Lightroom server, the user must invest in hard drive space physically separate from the computing equipment on which Lightroom CC is installed, move all of the original copies of the photos to be deleted from the Lightroom server over to that newly acquired storage space, and then delete the photos from the Lightroom server. But why should the user and copyright owner of the photos have to do that? If I rent parking space for my car in New York City, and decide to stop renting the space and remove my car, would one reasonably expect the owner of the parking space to warn me that they would then also destroy my car, and any other car that I have owned that had ever been parked in that space regardless of where I currently have the car parked, or that I still own the car? Should I be required to rent another parking space for my car, move and hide my car there, terminate my lease, get a restraining order from the owner of the parking space, and then when I feel safe that all ties to the parking space owner have been cut, I might then feel safe about bringing my car out of hiding?

If one believes in the safety and superiority of cloud data storage (and that is of course a rather large and tenuous if ), the idea behind the creation of Lightroom CC is arguably a very good one. But the execution of that idea in the creation of Lightroom CC has been abysmally poor. It is in it's initial iteration a cloud-based programmers less than best attempt, and an end user's nightmare. To make it workable several things need to be done to it: a) create a clear and simple mechanism for the user to turn syncing on and off, b) give the user the ability to select which photos the user wants to upload to the Adobe server and then sync selectively to different hardware devices, and make it easy for the user to do so, c) as in the original "classic" versions of Lightroom, give the user a "delete menu" with choices to delete photos from  the server only, from the device only, or from the server and all devices, d) get rid of the current user interface. Amateurs do not need dumbed down software with less instruction and only a few poor choices. Amateurs at anything need more help and better tools to get the results they want. And, amateur photographers universally want to become better photographers. If they wanted "amateur" software there is plenty of it available to them free or at less cost than the monthly subscription fee for Lightroom. Photographers are very opinionated people and creatures of habit. Their photographs are often as precious to them than their children. They fall into various camps as to which camera is the best, and, as I am sure you are aware, they are equally opinionated about the software they use to post-process their photos. Why should Adobe put itself in the position of trying to defend a product whose flaws are indefensible, while blaming the user for not understanding the instructions and putting the destruction of their photographs at risk? Wouldn't it be easier and wiser to simply and honestly fix the problems with Lightroom CC and make it into, what hopefully Adobe intended it to be all along?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

walmon01  wrote

in order for the user and copyright holder of the photos to delete them from the Adobe Lightroom server, the user must invest in hard drive space physically separate from the computing equipment on which Lightroom CC is installed, move all of the original copies of the photos to be deleted from the Lightroom server over to that newly acquired storage space, and then delete the photos from the Lightroom server. But why should the user and copyright owner of the photos have to do that?

Nooooo, they don't need ADDITIONAL storage space. The user already has a local copy of the files managed by Lightroom, right? So just move them out of Lightroom's managed folder to any other folder, even on the same drive. No extra hard drive space required. Just remove them from LR's managed space.

walmon01  wrote

If I rent parking space for my car in New York City, and decide to stop renting the space and remove my car, would one reasonably expect the owner of the parking space to warn me that they would then also destroy my car, and any other car that I have owned that had ever been parked in that space regardless of where I currently have the car parked, or that I still own the car? Should I be required to rent another parking space for my car, move and hide my car there, terminate my lease, get a restraining order from the owner of the parking space, and then when I feel safe that all ties to the parking space owner have been cut, I might then feel safe about bringing my car out of hiding?

When you delete, you're saying to Lightroom "I want you to forget I ever had these files, so clear out any copies you're looking after". If you decide to keep your own copy in a different folder even on the same computer, Lightroom won't touch it.

When you stop paying, using your car analogy, it would be reasonable for the owner of the parking space to remove your car from his parking space. Adobe doesn't do that for a year - good luck finding a parking space that'll let you stay that long without paying!! And since Sync stops before Adobe clears out their cloud, your local copy would remain in LRCC on your desktop untouched. You could even continue to manage them in the LRCC app, disconnected from the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMO - (and I'm sure many 1000s of others) Adobe really screwed-the-pooch with the Lr naming mess.

That opinion aside: We now have -

Lr App for Apple TV

Lr Mobile App

Lr CC for Web

Lr CC for Desktop/Laptop

Lr Classic CC for Desktop/Laptop

I understand the circle firing squad of trying to use all those systems simultaneously with massive libraries.

Support forums are replete with posts from users who are so confused they just make a mess of the entire process.

Adobe bears some responsibility for those messes as do many users who jump headlong into a new process they don't understand and don't seem to want to learn.

Maybe we could get them to read a good book? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neox99  wrote

IMO - (and I'm sure many 1000s of others) Adobe really screwed-the-pooch with the Lr naming mess.

Oh no question about that, the marketing department made a right mess.

To clarify your list a little though, we now have:

LR CC for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, tvOS and web

LR Classic CC for Windows / Mac

Basically everything apart from Classic is part of the LRCC ecosystem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now ya went and confused me.  (not really)

I like to keep it simple so I use the CC system for Mobile shooting and Bridge | Camera Raw | Photoshop for DSLR work.

I use Classic at times but make sure I have sync paused when I do. I then remove those images from the catalog before enabling sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the published instructions and warnings that are Lightroom makes very clear, the end user absolutely needs more storage space to protect the originals of his photos that Lightroom has usurped control over. And going back to my car analogy, a more correct interpretation would be that after you notify the owner of the parking space that you intend to remove your car, the parking space owner tells you that he intends to hold it hostage for another year while you decide whether or not you really want him to destroy it or not. The point to all of this back and forth is this. Adobe programmers did a sub-par job of creating an enduser friendly product. I do not need to repeat my suggestions for improving the product that I have previously made. I will however reiterate that Adobe can continue to make excuses for its inadequacies. Or they can take the time to do the work to make it into a good product and one that will truly be helpful to the end users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

walmon01  wrote

According to the published instructions and warnings

The published instructions are always "the dummies" way - the way you can't possibly get wrong. And yes, doing things the dummies way does take extra storage space. However, it's not the only way.

walmon01  wrote

after you notify the owner of the parking space that you intend to remove your car, the parking space owner tells you that he intends to hold it hostage for another year while you decide whether or not you really want him to destroy it or not

After you notify the owner of the parking space that you intend to remove your car, the parking space owner tells you that he WON'T destroy your car for a year. He'll let you carry on parking in his space rent free for a whole year so you have plenty of time to find a new parking space. Try finding a NYC parking space owner who will let you do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2019 Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to shorten it.

can I selct all fotos and then delete all from the creative cloud?

I don't want to click on 2000 fotos one after another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2019 Jun 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

can I back up from the cloud to an external

drive through the computer and then clear the cloud?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry to bring that up again, but have you found a solution for that, other than selecting one by one each of the pictures?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Grüße Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, so would you mind to share how to do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no "Select" button in the web interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KevinF  wrote

There is no "Select" button in the web interface.

The UI changed. When you float over a photo, a checkbox shows up now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see no 'select' option on my screen like the image you posted.  what am i missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can i select all photos? I added over 6 k photos and i didnt not want to back them up but they gave me no option and i dont wanna click 6 k times to remove them all. Any tips?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be careful, if you delete them from the cloud, you'll also delete them from your LRCC desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So i guess i cant do anything then? i importet the wrong map so i got everything so i guess i cant use the service that i pay for now? Really wanted to try it out but if i cant even remove picutes that they sync i cant really see whats the point of Lightroom cc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's fine. You want to use Classic? Then install Classic, enable Sync and it'll pull down all of your photos you uploaded to the cloud. Once they're safely in Classic, you can remove them from the cloud and LRCC.

Or if you still have all of your originals outside of LRCC, ready to import into Classic, that would be fine too.

Perhaps you can explain a little more about what you were trying to accomplish, and we can head you in the right direction. I know it's all pretty confusing right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry well this is my problem,

i started up the new CC just to try it out and added a folder. The problem was that this was the mail photo folder and not a subfolder so i added over 6.000 photos and when i realized my misstake it was to late. Now i really just wanna do all over and start out with nothing in my cloud and nothing in the new LRCC.

I can select them and remove them one by one but i really dont wanna do that for that amount fo pictures. I got nothing i wanna keep on the cloud so i guess it should be possible to remove everything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, great, in that case, you're fine to select all in LRCC's grid view and go to Edit > Delete Photo. That'll get rid of them all from LRCC and the cloud.

Or follow the instructions above to empty the cloud and LRCC. They'll still be in your Mail folder if you didn't delete them from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah cool now i see, so this will just remove them from everything but not the main sorce with is my computer right?

As it stands :"Your lightroom photos, All synced devices, all albums and shared galleries"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bennisman  wrote

Ah cool now i see, so this will just remove them from everything but not the main sorce with is my computer right?

As it stands :"Your lightroom photos, All synced devices, all albums and shared galleries"

Yes, you've got it. If copies are still in their old location, which Lightroom isn't managing, then they'll stay where they were. Lightroom can only remove them from locations it manages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines