• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Please add smart albums

Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to be able to create smart albums (aka smart collections) in the all-new Lightroom CC. Basically, a folder that contains a set of photos based on metadata information and updates automatically. The feature set should ideally contain all the options that exist in Lightroom Classic for smart collections. Thanks!

Idea No status
TOPICS
Android , Chrome OS , iOS: iPhone , iPadOS , macOS , tvOS: Apple TV , Web , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
69 Comments
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

second that request!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.  Smart collections are the one thing I miss.  I've used them extensively when I was using Classic!  Please al them!

Monty

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 25, 2017 Dec 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UGHHH, seriously. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 Smart folders

I use Albums/Collections. 

Want to group photos first by the year they were taken

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes please, nice function that should be ported

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart collections are one of the key elements is my photo organisation and sharing. I use a number of smart collections , some quite dynamic (eg. best 5 rated photos in the last year) , trips (2107 Vidid Sydney) and some more static (Europe phots >1star, taken +1 year). These are the cornerstone for how I sort and view photos. They are essentially 'albums', however I don't need to manually update . As I work on photos the albums reflect the changes. Particularly important for the sharing on mobile devices.
In Lightroom classic, I've found a 3rd party plug in which will automatically transfer the contents of my smart collections to the "static" albums which are shared to Lightroom Mobile.  So finally have what I need on the Lightroom Classic product. 

Smart collections was also a good way of tidying up photos without keywords, locations etc.

Prior to this I would be constantly checking if the smart collection and static collections matched and individually updating 😞 

Will be staying with the Lightroom Classic until some of these features are added. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is terrible. the best features are missing in CC. My organization was Folder by years. and inside them were sub folders Like birthdays, Vacation, Road Trips. and Smart albums inside them.. it seems you cannot have the same smart album names. even though it was intended to find them easily. like i want to see my daughters birthday from 2012 or 2014 etc.. this is pretty bad to put restrictions on organization of pictures which are a very important part of the collection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding a save search option would make perfect sense, in effect allowing us to save smart albums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not providing a smart folder feature is a pretty big omission, in my opinion.

I just downloaded the trial version today to see if it was good enough to let me move off Apple Photos.  Photos replaced Aperture and iPhoto with a reduced feature set four? years ago and still hasn't improved to offer, for example, the ability to change the background of the frame that photos are displayed in .. your choice is white, ghastly white!

Reading the comments above, I'd surmise that Adobe is taking a similar strategy .. checking the latest, glitzy must-have features (cloud interfaces, iOS look-alike, ..) at the cost off dropping out things we have been using to good effect in the "legacy" application for a long time.  Not saying these new features aren't important, just that they shouldn't replace the old standards. 

So, bring back smart folders (Photos has them) please.

And, while you're at it, please also expand the collection of "facets" that can be used.  I want to search based on image height and width, I want to filter by exif timestamp (and/or timestamp range).  We can view that photo metadata .. not allowing one to search or filter on it is just cruel!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 23, 2018 Sep 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without smart albums it is difficult to consider migrating to the new Lightroom CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Lightroom CC, we should have the ability to create smart albums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is so obvious. Did you see you can't print using CC? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need these so bad. I’ve always used one to show photos that are not currently in an album. So useful. I’ve used several others too. Seems crazy they havne’t added them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR is full of disruptions of otherwise great apps:
- no Metadata Sync from LR Classc to LR CC
- no Smartfolders
- no changes sync fom LR CC to Portfolio 
- upload from LR CC to Portfolio only description possible not file names

why do they make life so difficult? Everything is here to have a great surrounding to share and collaborate...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

“no changes sync from LRC C to Portfolia “

The changes do sync but you have to updates or “reset” your page on your Portfolio

Monty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+ 1 for this suggestion. I miss the smart collections. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2019 Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another +1. Is anyone at Adobe reading this? Would be great to hear if it's a plan and if not, why the priority is made. I just migrated, and didn't imagine that I could not make smart albums. 😞 Now I don't know what to do. Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2019 Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 it's absolute must

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2019 Jul 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current filtering feature is not powerful enough. I'd like Lightroom CC to have advanced filtering, which should support the following functionalities:
  • Conjunction (and): showing photos that satisfy all the requirements
  • Disjunction (or): showing photos that satisfy any of the requirements
  • Negation (not): showing photos that do not satisfy the requirements
  • Composition of the above logical connectives.
It will also be great if we can saved those advanced filtering. This will be one step towards implementing smart albums.

FYI: both Capture One Apple Photos app have advanced filtering (and smart album). Since Lightroom CC is using SQLite so I assume the backend implementation should not be difficult.  

I also suggest advanced filtering to be an icon above the Keyword icon on the bottom right corner. When activated, there should be a side panel come out. Users can then add advanced filtering based on metadata, keywords, folders, etc.

I could look something like the filtering in Numbers app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really like that simple UI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be wonderful

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart albums were my way of sorting my “work in progress” while it moves through my workflow. Would be great to get them back in the new CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree: smart folders is critical otherwise there's no real organization method since Lightroom doesn't use folders like Lightroom Classic does.

This is like a conscious product design decision: Adobe wants to keep some separation between Lightroom and Lightroom Classic, and keeping smart folders/collections in Lightroom Classic is one way. It's been years since this feature has been requested and it would be a very easy solution to implement, but Adobe has chosen not to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No smart albums?  WHYYYYY?

Votes

Translate

Translate