• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will recording mic audio in mp3 codec be supported by FMS in the future

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2009 Jun 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am newbb to flash. I am developping a mobile app for video chat using FL3. Then I realized that FL3.x only support mp3 streaming for now. So I turn to the server side and found that FMS3.5.1 doesn't support record or live mic audio in mp3. This causes a quite difficult situation. I am wondring if there's a solution/workaround for this? And mostly importantly, I am wondering if recording mic audio in mp3 is ever going to be supported. If anyone can answer this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a limitation of FMS, it's a limitation of the Flashplayer.

FMS will record mp3 encoded audio to a file (not an mp3 file... it will be audio data in an flv or h.264 container), but the publishing client has to be sending mp3 audio data.

The flashplayer does not have an mp3 encoder. The only audio encoders present in the flashplayer are Nellymoser Asao (flashplayer versions 6+) and Speex (flashplayer version 10). So, if  you want mp3 audio, you'll need to use FMLE or a third party encoder that supports mp3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Jay. that explanation was quite clear and thorough. But as you mentioned the FMLE. I have tried it. Yes, the encoded file works fine. However, it seems to only work with the local devices (webcam and mic). Doesn't that mean every client has to publish the stream thru it. Not very practical, is it? And speaking of third party program, do they support conversation in real time with the stream file? As what you said, then when will flashplayer support mp3 encoding?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm the first one to agree that I would be great to have an mp3 encoder in the flashplayer. I would guess (and I'm just guessing here) there is no mp3 encoder due to licensing issues and weight added to the plugin. I suspect these are the same reasons we don't have VP6 or h.264 video encoding in the flashplayer either. A to when any of those features might be added... I have no idea, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for them.

About publishing mp3 audio... you are correct. Each publishing client would need to connect using a publishing client capable of encoding mp3 audio... or did I misunderstand the question?

As for real time conversion of file being recorded by FMS... I haven't tried is so I'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if FMS locks the file while writing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2009 Jun 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Bob,

Regarding "when will flashplayer support mp3 encoding" ...

Jay's lowdown is 100% correct.  And definitely don't hold your breath waiting  😉

My sense is that internally Adobe fiercely guards against bloat in the size of the Flash Player installers.  Fiercely.

But now they have AIR too.  And Acrobat.  (Both of which now include Flash Player in their current versions.)

Personally, I would settle for MP3 encoding in AIR as a first step.  Plus, VP6 and H.264 in AIR.

My sense is that the hurdle against bloat in the AIR installer size is dramatically lower.  And we definitely need these additional encoding capabilities built-in to some runtime.

So, whenever you have a chance to lobby Adobe engineers or submit requests to their wishlist, just keep asking.

g

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines